Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

RenderToCubemap Seams

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by mmkc, Oct 5, 2020.

1. mmkc

mmkc

This is Unity 2019.4.2f1 and HDRP 7.2.1

Our application uses Camera.RenderToCubemap to generate 6 images that we stitch back together in a web-based panorama viewer. When doing this, we can see the seams where the cubemap images join, and it makes it look like there is some shadowing going on that shouldn't be. At first I thought it was post-processing (e.g. vignette) adding that to each image but I've disabled all post-processing volumes except Exposure, Visual Environment, and HDRI Sky. The image below is a flat piece of geometry where you can see three of the cubemap images coming together. Any idea what would cause this? Thanks in advance!

upload_2020-10-5_15-11-42.png

2. mmkc

mmkc

Perhaps I should also mention that Exposure is set to Fixed (-1.15).

3. koirat

koirat

How do you light the scene ?
    What about materials you have, do you use specular or glossy component ?.

I assume it is not AO

4. mmkc

mmkc

The scene is the interior of a house where we use many point lights, a couple area lights, and the one directional light. All materials are using the HDRP/Lit shader so we use the Mask Map quite a bit. The textures are loaded dynamically during run-time so it's hard for me to say for certain that we use the specular channel of the mask map. I know the AO channel is used.

5. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, when using Camera.RenderToCubemap you must ensure to not used any temporal effect (as it will not work and could cause artifact): SSAO, SSR, Volumetric (with reprojection), PBS sky (with amortization on multiple frame), Auto-exposure, TAA etc...

6. mmkc

mmkc

Thanks for the reply. I think I figured out what's going. I misunderstood how the default volume settings works. I have GameObjects with Volume Profiles but those are just overrides for the default. So even though I don't have Vignette in my GameObject's Volume Profile, it was still enabled in the default. Thanks!

7. mmkc

mmkc

That did indeed fix the issue. However, the render quality is quite a bit lower now. Is there a way to use SSAO and SSR when rendering a cubemap? Perhaps a 3rd party library? I would imagine that's been done for VR work before.

8. mmkc

mmkc

Sorry to bump this but it has become a priority recently... is anybody aware of a way to use SSAO and SSR when using RenderToCubemap?