Search Unity

RenderTexture returns format not supported for ID3D11RenderTargetView

Discussion in 'Windows' started by mashman, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mashman

mashman

I'm using a RenderTexture to get a native texture for rendering by an external native plugin, but have a hit a snag,

I can successfully static_cast<ID3D11Texture2D*> the pointer returned by RenderTexture.GetNativePtr() in my rendering plugin, but when I observe the texture descriptor from my rendering setup code the texture format is DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_TYPELESS. According ID3D11Device::CheckFormatSupport() a texture with this format cannot be used as a render target, and when attempting to CreateRenderTargetView() I end up getting E_INVALIDARG.

Am I missing something basic here? Is there a way to get an ID3D11Texture2D from Unity which can be rendered to by a plugin?

Thanks in advance...

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hello,

when calling CreateRenderTargetView, in D3D11_RENDER_TARGET_VIEW_DESC structure you should set format to either DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UINT or DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM_SRGB.

DevDuFF likes this.
  3. mashman

mashman

Excellent. Anything else I should watch out for when rendering to the RenderTexture.GetNativeTexturePtr() from my native rendering plugin?

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

5. DevDuFF

DevDuFF

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You don't get to set D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC - it is set when texture is created by Unity. You can only read it by calling ID3D11Texture2D::GetDesc().

Regarding D3D11_RENDER_TARGET_VIEW_DESC:
    * You must set ViewDimension to D3D11_RTV_DIMENSION_TEXTURE2D;
    * If you specify to use mipmaps for rendertexture in Unity, you can specify Texture2D.MipSlice to be any mip. If you don't use mipmaps, it must be 0;
    * Format depends on format you specified on Unity side when creating the render texture.

7. Yashiz

Yashiz

Hi,

In Unity 2017.1, ID3D11Texture2D::GetDesc() always returns format as DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_TYPELESS, no matter in Unity, the RenderTexture format is ARGBFloat, or ARGBHalf, or RFloat. How the conversion is made ?

I would like to use Unity to render some G-Buffers, and pass the render textures to my native plugin, that is a render in DX11. Do you have suggestions about how to that? You know it is not precise enough to store positions and normals in DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_TYPELESS.

Any tutorials or docs about inter-operation between Unity textures and DX11 native textures would be helpful.

Thanks,

Yashiz

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That doesn't sound right, do you have a small sample that demonstrates this behaviour? From what I call tell, it should create DXGI_FORMAT_R16G16B16A16_TYPELESS for ARGBHalf, DXGI_FORMAT_R32G32B32A32_TYPELESS for ARGBFloat and DXGI_FORMAT_R32_TYPELESS for RFloat.

9. Yashiz

Yashiz

Thank you for the confirmation Tautvydas-Zilys. It was my own stupid error that I didn't pass the correct render texture.