Search Unity

RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by blu3drag0n, Jul 4, 2022.

1. blu3drag0n

blu3drag0n

No chance to find anything related to this issue, so I am posting right now.

After I simply reboot my machine today i permanently receive this strange error spammed into my console.

RenderTexture.Create failed: width & height must be larger than 0
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

There is no real chance for me to track it down and I cant find anything in the docs nor in the forum.
    There are several threads about "RenderTexture.Create failed: [...]" but nothing about the suffix of my error.
    I even tried some of the suggested stuff of the sub-topics, but nothing works.

I already restarted multiple times, re-installed also, I reimported the whole project several times, I also re-imported the packages I have installed like TMP.
    Strangely this error is spammed either in Editormode and Playmode.
    I already disabled all objects, I already disabled all Editorscripts (from me) etc. to try to isolate the issue. At none level there was any change to the Error-flooding into the console.

And then i tried hard to find anything about some random object of type "RenderTexture" that might cause the isse.
    To be said, I have nothing in place like that yet by myself. I have some plugins, but nothing special, only Tilemaps and TMP from Unity themselves anyways.

But then with
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         UnityEngine.Object obj = GameObject.FindObjectOfType(typeof(RenderTexture), true);
    2.         Selection.activeObject = obj;
    I was able to get the evil object selected in Editor mode and Playmode.

upload_2022-7-4_23-2-42.png

I have no clue what to do about it.
    The InstanceID seems to be not persistent and every time i switch between Editor & Playmode the InstanceID changes, so I assume the object is generated every now and then.

Also I tried finding any object in hierachy in scene view and in assetview that could be related to this name "Editor Atlas Monitor RT". I also tried searching only for particular terms.
    ! NOTHING !

I rarely know what to try next, but this time i would make a simple call to a Unity bug.
    My Unity version: 2022.1.0b16.3019

I actually regret that I tried first time other than LTS, but yeah, that hindsight it doesnt help me now, I cant really downgrade to 2021 (can I ?)

Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

try upgrading to the latest 2022.1 version. you are still using a beta version.

3. blu3drag0n

blu3drag0n

thanks for the hint, just did it and same issue persists
    now I am unity 2022.1.7f1

4. blu3drag0n

blu3drag0n

If I doubleclick the Error the inspector shows me such item
    upload_2022-7-5_0-16-9.png

Sorry if exxagerating, but what the heck of a thing is this ?

Any idea is appreciated, I am completly lost.
    It spits 30.000 Errors in a few seconds until I clear it or going higher and higher.
    I have not even a remotely close idea of what to do about it ...

5. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Is the error message just these two lines or is there more in the details pane when you select the message in the console? If so, post the full message.

One thing you could try (in a backup of the project) is to reset the window layouts to one of the default layouts. I can imagine the error coming from an editor window whose size somehow became 0,0.

Speaking of which, you can also go into package manager and disable any asset store packages (one by one) that have editor windows to check if the error comes from a package.

By re-importing the project you mean deleting the Library folder while Unity is closed? If not that‘s something you could try as well.

6. blu3drag0n

blu3drag0n

It is just the two lines, otherwise I would have reported more.

Now I downgraded to 2021 LTS and pay the cost if something breaks by redoing it.
    The error disappeared.
    I will keep in mind to reset the layout if I gonna test it on 2022 again. It sounds reasonable as a solution.

Thank you, I come back here if I face the issue again and/or tested some of your possible solutions.
    KR

7. Nackley

Nackley

whoa. This worked for me. Thank you!

8. tonkodonis

tonkodonis

worked for me ! THANK YOU

l3w15911 likes this.
  9. max_unity787

max_unity787

Reseting the layout worked for me in the 2022 full release version so THANKS!

10. LegalAss

LegalAss

I had the same issue and it seems that in my case error came from the Tile Palette which got stuck between layers of Unity Editor. Rearranging the layout helped!

11. npc12927

npc12927

its so Helpfull sir, lot of thanks for you!! godbless!

12. Fun_and_Games

Fun_and_Games

I tried turning debug mode on and off again. that worked for me. you can keep it on, but i prefer to turn it off afterwards since it increases performance. it also works on some other errors as well. (if you don't know how to turn it on, it's in the bottom right corner of the screen next to three other buttons)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  13. KillDashNine

KillDashNine

Happened to me today. Solution was to restart editor.

14. procopy01

procopy01

In my case, it turned to be the switching of some mixed lights to baked, without removing Aura component.

15. zintax13223

zintax13223

Thanks! Reseting the layout solved it!

16. HotClaw

HotClaw

I got this today. I can replicate it every time by resizing my scene view really small, and switching the "subscene" by double-clicking a prefab in the hierarchy. Then, I can predictably trigger the messages by repeatedly dragging that window to tiny and bigger again.