Search Unity

Question RenderPipelineManager CPU usage

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Leniaal, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Leniaal

Leniaal

Hello,

In an attempt to optimize the performance in our HDRP scene I noticed RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal() is always on top.

upload_2019-11-22_21-47-45.png

Is this CPU usage and garbage alloc considered 'normal' in the HDRP?

I came across this issue for LWRP while trying to dig up information on this subject, is it related?

[EDIT]

I removed a secondary camera from the scene with the following result in the profiler:
    upload_2019-11-22_22-4-16.png
    [/EDIT]
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    samarthmp8 likes this.
  2. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

As for my games using HDRP, the graphics update is also always the most consuming operation in the profiler. Nothing compared to all my custom gameplay and physic scripts.
    I think that is normal that the high quality rendering is so demanding, depending also on your scene and pipeline settings.
    You can easily ruin your performence with alot of things for example:

1. Realime shadows. Watch out for point and area lights. Old school.
    2. Realtime reflections. Again old school.
    3. Quality and sample rate of post-processing effects. For example Depth of Field with full resolution is very high demanding but you don't see so much difference compared to half resolution, so would not trade that for fps rate. Also nothing new coming from post-process stack 2.
    4. High quality volumtric light and subsurface scattering. Can't recommend to turn that on even with a new RTX 2060. I did not see even so much difference.

And yes, every new camera adds more overhead to the pipeline. Imagine that having two active cameras basically means cut the frames into a half. If you demanding high quality graphics you cannot really afford a second active camera in your scene without tone down custom frame settings in that camera.

My most demanding HDRP game gets in average 50 fps. It is an dynamic indoor scene with many realtime point lights and Realtime GI.

As graphics pipeline scale it is important to also scale your game's demands. Just because there are some new features does not mean you can push everything to high end. There is not so much new rendering breakthrough even now with raytracing envolving. So all in all watch for the sum of all your graphic settings and make decisions on what is the most important feature to spend your frames on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  3. Demencja

Demencja

It worked for me. Removing even inactive cameras helped.

4. MFKJ

MFKJ

My webgl URP based project profiler indicates that REnderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal() taking much time. how to fix?

SolidAlloy and hendryshaikh2004 like this.
  5. GaggiGamer

GaggiGamer

It helped me. I had 2 active cameras in my scene.
    Thanks for the tip.

6. samarthmp8

samarthmp8

Thanks, I had a minimap camera, removing it doubled the fps. RIP minimap.

7. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

You can tune what each camera processes.

If you just add 2 cameras, both will run off of what HDRP asset you have active.
    Once you've tuned your HDRP asset to your project needs, you can then further tune each of the camera's custom frame settings and turn off any rendering operations your 'mini map' doesn't require.

There are a few other methods like custom render passes that may help you here, I just can't remember the name of the other off the top of my heard.

Ruchir and Leniaal like this.
  8. ekakiya

ekakiya