Search Unity

Rendering Stats Window: Batches vs Saved Batches

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by RedEarth, Sep 22, 2020.

1. RedEarth

RedEarth

Hey all, I'm trying to understand the relationship between the Batches field and the Saved by Batching fields in the stats window.

Does the Batches field represent net batches or do I need to manually take into account the Saved by Batching field to derive the net amount?

The reason why I ask is because I've created my own grid of objects in unity (simple scripted mesh and a single material) and the number of batches hasn't changed despite enabling SRP batching. However the Saved by Batching number has increased.

The frame debugger does show it batching correctly into 3 batch groups, but each group is adding ~330 batches to the batch count. I was expecting each group to only add 1, which is why I'm confused at this point.

What am I getting wrong? Thanks!

2. RedEarth

RedEarth

The grid I made was comprised of simple individual meshes for cells. After combining the cells into one mesh object, batches are down to around ~30 total for the scene. By manually combining the mesh, I've tanked the draw calls to 1 for the whole grid.

It's still unclear to me why the batcher had no effect on the number of batches. I thought that was the point of the batcher?