Search Unity

Feature Request Rendering multiple Scenes in isolation from each other

Discussion in 'Graphics Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by Yoraiz0r, May 25, 2023.

1. Yoraiz0r

Yoraiz0r

Something that has irked me quite a bit, is how there is no way to render certain objects completely isolated from each other without the use of layers.

Unity already has the capacity to render a scene in isolation... well, a preview scene. The runtime Unity Camera component has a
    Camera.scene
    field, but it is sadly only functional in editor use, as only NewPreviewScenes are supported. Can that be changed? https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera-scene.html

My usecases are plenty - to name a few:
    • Isolated character display that already uses multiple render layers for menus / etc, without having them be somewhere actually present in the game world. Right now using layers means having to make 2 of everything / account for 2 of everything to ensure order with proper isolation, they're also difficult to manage because every newly instantiated object is going to need its layers changed (whereas with parenting, things would be spawned in their relevant scene already)
    • Instanced dungeons with actual isolation - right now you can isolate physics scenes, but not render scenes (or audio for that matter). This means that even if you want to have a multiplayer game with instanced dungeons within the same gameplay session (e.g. personal player homes) its impossible to isolate them in the same space. Audio is slightly easier to manage than the visuals in this case though.

Also, I know the Entities Renderer is not the topic of this dev blitz, but I'd like to relay that I was incredibly sad that this feature is not supported by it either... https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...lity.html?q=worlds#dots-feature-compatibility

It would be amazing if we can have full isolation of scenes as an opt-in feature, please!

OliMer, marcospgp and saskenergy like this.
  2. marcospgp

marcospgp

It would be great to be able to have a separate skybox scene, especially as there's no accessible way of having skybox objects rendering separately from everything else