Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Rendering Metal Surfaces in 3d Game

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by axlemaxU, Oct 27, 2022.

1. axlemaxU

axlemaxU

I am building a Coin Pusher Game and I want the surfaces to be metallic.

I have attached 2 pics of real coin pushers to show they tend to be made from metal. (see real-cp images)

I have applied a material from the Yughues Free metal Materials pack (M_YFMM_27)

From the side in Scene view the metal renders exactly as we want it to. Nice an metalic. See side on image attached. (See image Screen Shot 2022-10-27)

But in the Simulator the surfaces look almost 16-bit in the way they render. ("sim_View" attached)

What sort of things can be done to make the game look more realistically like metal?

Attached Files:

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Are they using the standard shader? I just created a metallic material and it looked exactly the same in both the scene view and device simulator.

Do your coins have a different material on the the top than they do on the side?

3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

@axlemaxU
    It's possible, it can either be something is going wrong, with the material(s) you are using, or it could be bad UV unwrapped models, that is causing that weird problem.

If this is a mobile game, are you using, a mobile shader?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  4. olavrv

olavrv

The reflection environment and light sources is what makes metal look realistic. If you add a reflection environment, for example in the form of a reflection probe (or HDRI map) the material should look a lot better.