Search Unity

Feature Request Rendering Layer Masks + Render Features

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by romanpapush, Jul 1, 2020.

1. romanpapush

romanpapush

Hello,

As I understand URP doesn't support multi-pass shaders, so to correctly draw double-sided transparent objects I am using Renderer Features to override a material (base material renders back-faces, override material renders front-faces), which does the trick.
    upload_2020-7-1_17-5-50.png

But here's an issue, we can only filter by system Layer Masks, which are already heavily used for physics in my project. There is a Rendering Layer Mask settings on each MeshRenderer in the scene. But I can't seem to find any useful information on how are they currently used or how are they supposed to be used at all.
    upload_2020-7-1_17-13-2.png

So my question is, how can I currently have a bunch of Renderer Features with RenderObject material overrides (for example, for a bunch of different transparent materials with unique properties that are not easily solved by using a texture map for controlling those properties), without having to reserve a limited system Layer Mask for each material?
    Bonus question: Can it be possible to filter by the Material itself?

———
    P.S. While we're on the ugly subject of Layers and Tags, and from what I've gathered, wouldn't it be better to move Rendering Layer Masks to the top of the inspector, where the Tags and Layers reside?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    slippyfrog likes this.
  2. Gondophares

Gondophares

Hey, there was a similar discussion here, with some input from Unity. Perhaps the information there is of use for you.

slippyfrog and romanpapush like this.