Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics Rendering Issue with the CanvasRender and older OpenGL devices. (Case 725989)

Discussion in '5.2 Beta' started by Stephan-B, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

I am running into an issue in Unity 5.2 where text rendered using the TextMeshPro component for the New UI using any of its shaders doesn't render correctly on older OpenGL ES 2.0 / 3.0 devices. However, using the same shader / scene using Metal on iOS for instance works fine.

Using the same set of shaders with the TextMeshPro component that uses the mesh renderer works fine on all of those devices in OpenGL ES 2.0, 3.0 and Metal (where the device is capable).

I have filed the following bug report which includes a Repro Project and Scene. (Case 725989).

podonne5 likes this.
  2. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Investigating.

brianchasalow, Spellbook and podonne5 like this.
  3. podonne5

podonne5

Thanks Stephan and Tim, currently this is the last issue that is preventing me submitting my game to the appstore so any progress/solution would be greatly appreciated.

4. luniac

luniac

THis is an issue for me as well.

5. SketchWork

SketchWork

Having the same issue. Good luck with the investigation @Tim C :)

6. tellemstevedave

tellemstevedave

Issue for me too. Shader won't render correctly on ipod touch

7. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Also had a user report the same issue with PS Vita.

8. brianchasalow

brianchasalow

@Tim C the issue doesn't have anything to do with old devices, FYI. I'm on an iPhone 6, GLES 3.0 and it's rendering white squares. See this image which may help you, extracted from the Xcode frame debugger. Looks to be related to the mipmapping chain:

Attached Files:

9. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Thanks for looking into this Tim.

Any luck finding the source of this issue?

brianchasalow likes this.
  10. Spellbook

Spellbook

Hopefully a resolution or workaround soon? Production and deployment is at a dead stop because of this.

luniac and brianchasalow like this.
  11. actraiser3

actraiser3

Also have only white squares on various mobile devices instead of Text when using Textmesh Pro since switching from 5.1 latest patch release to 5.2 final, namely on iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S. Rendering works fine on iPhone 5S though. I really hope a patch release for 5.2 will provide backward compatibility.

-act