Search Unity

Rendering half the screen in negative

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by FyreDogStudios, Apr 23, 2016.

1. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

Hello,
    I have very little experience with shaders and post processing effects and I am not even sure if this is possible.

I have a 2D game, portrait, mobile.

I would like the bottom half of the screen to be rendered in negative colours.

Any suggestions to gaining this effect would be appreciated.

2. kenlem

kenlem

I would use 2 camera with a custom replacement shader to invert the color for the bottom camera.

FyreDogStudios likes this.
  3. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

Wouldn't that double the draw calls? Looking from a performance perspective.

4. kenlem

kenlem

Yes, 2 cameras will do that. Are you rendering 2 scene or the same scene just with the color inverted on the bottom half of the screen?

Also, doubling your draw calls may be worth it if you really want this effect. Get it running and see what the performance hit is.

5. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

I am looking at having white contrasting with black in the top half, and the opposite in the bottom.

6. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

Also, how would I stitch two cameras together to make it appear as only one? I have only every used multiple camereas when displaying them via RawImage on a canvas.

7. earrgames

earrgames

depending on how complex are your models you could simply duplicate each object and apply a material with the inversed colours, then put it on a separated layer, then select the culling of each camera so one renders the inversedobjectsand the other the inverse, you will have twice as much objects but if they are low poly it should not affect much, so well you have choices, just try them till one works good for you.

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Another approach could be to overlay the bottom half with an UI image that is using a shader/material that inverts colors using the blend mode hardware. It's rather easy to setup and does not require additional cameras or modifying other assets.

Maybe it works for your project. I created a small example project, download link can be found at the bottom of this post.

Download Unity 5.3 example project:
    http://www.console-dev.de/bin/Unity5_Example_UI_InvertColor.zip

9. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

I was thinking this could be an option, thanks for the links!

10. aubergine

aubergine

You can do it with a simple image effect.

11. Firas24

Firas24

Hi,
    Actually I am looking for the same effect (negative part of the screen) But the solution that Peter77 provided only works on UI elements and I need it to work on sprites outside the canvas.
    How to achieve this result? Does the shader need to be edited ?

12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I added a Sprite version to the example project.
    The project contains two folders now, "UI" and "Sprite". In each folder you can find a scene that shows the effect.

Download it from here:
    http://www.console-dev.de/bin/Unity5_Example_UI_InvertColor.zip

13. Firas24

Firas24

Thank you for your reply
    Is there a way to use one shader to do both UI and sprites?
    Or can i overlay two UI images one of them has negative for UI and the other has negative for sprites?
    Or are those shaders functional for both?
    Thanks again