Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rendering.GraphicsSettings.realtimeDirectRectangularAreaLights

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

In the 2019.1.0b4 release notes, I found:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/2019.1.0b4

I'm wondering... If it's specific to a certain render pipeline only, perhaps a better place for this API would be the render pipeline configuration asset instead?

Otherwise we might end up with various Unity built-in API's that work or are bound to specific RP's only?

Just a thought...

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for pointing that out Peter. The lighting entries mentioning HDRP are on the general release notes because they can be used by any custom SRP. They're not HDRP exclusive, that's just where they are already being used. The release notes should be updated soon to make that clearer.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

I have updated the release notes now, to make it clear that any scriptable render pipeline can utilize this.

Peter77 likes this.
  4. Prodigga

Prodigga

Isn't that just different.. phrasing? But same underlying problem? That problem being that not every rendering Pipeline will implement realtimeDirectRectangularAreaLights, and some rendering pipelines might not even have concept of lights. Isn't it a better idea to keep as much rendering code as possible inside the applicable rendering Pipeline package?

Unity is already littered with a bunch of rendering variables that won't necessarily apply to every rendering Pipeline. For example, Renderer components have shadow caster settings, motion vector, blend probe and reflection probe settings. These were all applicable to built in renderer but won't be applicable to every rendering Pipeline.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to put work in now to provide new APIs for developers who are creating SRPs to hook into and add their own functionality at a package level, instead of adding new functionality at the engine level whenever Unity needs it for their own pipelines? Custom SRP developers don't have that luxury. I am not an engine developer so I might be missing the bigger picture here! ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    pvloon and Peter77 like this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I believe it's similar to GraphicsSettings.useScriptableRenderPipelineBatching. It's a built-in setting, but requires that the actual SRP implemented also implements batching support?!

In this case, wouldn't we end up with functionality that seems to be there, but actually might not? If that's the case, wouldn't it be more appropriate to provide such settings in the actual SRP asset? Just asking...

Prodigga likes this.
  6. Prodigga

Prodigga

@LeonhardP excuse me for bumping but some sort of reply would be appreciated :)