Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rendering changing with scenes

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by kikendo, Aug 28, 2017.

1. kikendo

kikendo

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to Unity and I am running into a bizarre issue I don't know how to fix.

Basically, when I load scenes from one another, the way the image is rendered changes.

I have a scene that should look like this:

I wanted the edges to look very sharp, have a very flat shade.
    However if I add a scene before it and I load this scene from it, everything starts to look like this:

It feels like the whole shading has changed, like if the normals setup I chose are not being respected. Also the colors have changed? I don't know what is going on.

Anybody has any clue what this n00b is doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. kikendo

kikendo

Bumping because I noticed something: when I first launch Unity when opening this project, for a few seconds, that scene looks with the same colors as on picture 2, and then the color changes after it finishes loading.

I really have no idea what is going on. I turned on/off everything, I went through all Project Settings. Always the same result. I am clueless. ;(

3. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

Unity takes some seconds to load the computed lightbaking data.
    MIght be that on the second scene the lightmapping is not baked or baked differently.
    Take a look at the lighting window.

4. kikendo

kikendo

Thanks for your reply!
    That is interesting.
    I noticed I had one of the lights set to baked, but all the others were not.
    Changing light mode to Realtime or baked did not remove this problem.

I took a look at the Lighting windows (thanks, I had not messed with that yet) and the settings in both scenes look exactly the same, yet this is still behaving in this weird way. What else should I be looking at ? I really have no clue.

Also besides the lighting, there's the issue of how the surface looks. When importing this object as an FBX, I made sure I calculated normals and I made it have the smoothing angle=0 to get the sharp edges and flat shading

but it seems like when loading the scene from another scene, it ignores this!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  5. kikendo

kikendo

I did one more test: I loaded the second scene from the first scene, and now that scene looks all wrong too.

It seems to me that the scenes are rendering with the settings of the previous one, whatever settings those are. How do I change that? What am I doing wrong?

6. kikendo

kikendo

Well I searched around some more and found these posts:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/919940/applicationloadlevel-changes-lighting-for-some-rea.html
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/954831/changing-scene-messes-up-lights.html

And these posts are OLD. But this issue still seems to exist.
    Basically, when I export the build, the problem isn 't there. But while I test in the editor, the lighting data that you generate is ignored when loading scenes, and it throws at you the standard lighting.

I also noticed other issues with this "generate lighting" data, for which I submitted a bug report.

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Why not delete the shadow information completely. Your desired style is in conflict with the lighting/shadow settings you currently have.
    I know this is not the 'fix' solution, but seems you are messing with a feature that you do not need for the look you are attempting to attain.

8. kikendo

kikendo

Hi, which shadow information? This even happens if I turn shadows off.
    As I said, I am having the exact same issue as posted in forums in 2015. I think it's a long running bug. Building works fine.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. luigixiv

luigixiv

I've the same problem in my project, and I did not find any resolution to it.
    I hope this bug will be fixed soon.

I found a workaround implementing in a script the following event:
    private void OnLevelWasLoaded(int level)
    {
    DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment();
    }
    And now it works when click play button and load the second scene in my game.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  10. kikendo

kikendo

I changed Unity versions and it is still happening.
    I suggest you submit a full error report including a project that has this issue. Hopefully it will be fixed.

11. mrhimba

mrhimba

I had a similar looking problem just now. I had two scenes, one with the normal lighting you would see on the default 3D object prefabs when you drag them into the scene. And then in the other scene, I could drag those same prefabs in and they would look much darker. For some reason the first scene had "Auto Generate" checked on in the Scene tab of the Lighting window, whereas the second scene had it turned off. Once I turned it on in the second scene everything looked ok there.

megadavido likes this.