Search Unity

Rendering - Alembic Issue or is it a problem with Unity?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Sapien_, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Sapien_

Sapien_

I have a massive rendering Issue with alembic files imported into unity. The characters in my game are almost all in the alembic format. I see a lot of potential to this game, however there are some issues I have been having that is preventing me from using this concept to its full potential.

The main issue I have is how Unity is rendering my objects. When I give this a normal material. Unity appears to render tris. So in other words, instead of a cube rendering shadows the way it would normally render on a cube, it will instead render diagonally across the cube as if there is an extra edge. It makes it look like there is a smoothing effect when there is not.
    upload_2019-2-22_15-56-7.png

This however does not happen if I export the objects in the OBJ format as seen here

upload_2019-2-22_16-1-43.png

So you can see the difference, it is actually rendering it as if it is made out of cubes. The problem is that these objects can only be animated via the alembic format. So what is happening!? I've tried different shaders to see if that fixes the problem but no dice. The only ones that get rid of the look are ones that make the objects look flat. but then it loses the intended look as seen in the second image.

Can anyone help me with this issue or can you point me to anybody that can help me with these issues?

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

I want to make sure I understand fully: The problem is inside Maya you have a smooth character, but inside unity it is all Boxy ?
    If this is indeed the problem, it might mean that you imported only the point cloud from the ABC. By default point clouds are rendered as cubes. Fix is to change an option in the imported ABC to import the actual mesh and then you'd get a Mesh render.

3. Sapien_

Sapien_

No. The opposite. I want it to be boxy. Also this model is coming from blender. It only looks like the first picture if I turn smoothing on.

4. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

I am a bit at a loss as to what is going on.
    Would you be able to send me your ABC as well as the OBJ and I could take a look (even if you send me only a chunk of the mesh).

5. Sapien_

Sapien_

Yes I am willing to do that. Do I need your email or is there a way to do it via this website?

6. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

How about dropbox/google drive, etc?
    you can delete the file after I have it.

7. Sapien_

Sapien_

I've sent a dropbox link directly to you

8. arturmandas

arturmandas

@vladala how can I render Alembic files sequence? Do I have to write my own controller that takes the stream and update the timestamp according to the timestep? Uncle Google did not help.

9. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

I am sorry I don't understand the problem you are having.
    You wanna export a unity scene in alembic ? (there is an alembicExporter for that exporting certain elements).
    Please post a new thread with more info.

10. arturmandas

arturmandas

I have an alembic sequence exported from Houdini, 1 file per frame. Normal procedure. I want it to be treated in sequence in Unity as well, but fail to do so. I have tried official guideline for making alembic work with Timeline. Also, the first frame is not empty (some packages like Blender have problems with alembic sequences is 1st frame has no geo).