Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Render texture support

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mkolb, Feb 18, 2008.

1. mkolb

mkolb

Hi all,

Is there a resource on the net where I can see certain chipset features, for example if the Geforce 2 MX chipset (NV11) supports render textures?
    I read about the ARB extension list, but is it used in Unity?

Regards

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

When using OpenGL, Unity definitely uses OpenGL extensions (and core functionality), so support for some feature is determined by OpenGL version number and/or the extension being present (the exception being broken drivers, that advertise wrong OpenGL version, or say that they support some extension when in fact they don't).

On Direct3D, the underlying card capabilities are the same (in most cases they are better supported, i.e. something works in D3D that does not properly work in OpenGL). DirectX SDK has a spreadsheet of some card capabilities.

Other than that, I don't know. Beyond3d site has an extensive GPU database that is a bit cumbersome to use.

As for render textures, almost all DX7 level cards support them (all GeForces, all Radeons, Intel Extreme and up, ...). I think even some DX6 level cards support them (Riva TNT, Rage 128, ...), but don't count on my word here.