Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Render some lines based on entity data?

Discussion in 'Graphics for ECS' started by jwvanderbeck, Jan 6, 2020.

1. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

So I have some entities that contain a list of clockwise wound points which define a series of edges, or lines. Is there an ECS way I can render these?

2. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Looks like best I can tell the Hybrid Renderer only works with mesh objects. Guess I need to pop out of the ECS ecosystem for this.

3. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

I will need tackle the same problem soon, currently I’m just using a gizmo as a temp solution

4. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I think what I'm going to do for now at least is have a System that converts certain entities into GameObjects with the LineRenderer component and then just use that. Honestly right now its more about visualization than anything. I need a visual way to verify that my complex dance of systems and entities has produced the expected result :)

5. 5argon

5argon

florianhanke likes this.
  6. florianhanke

florianhanke

That was me! :D I'm using it with entities 0.4, but since I copied it in 0.2, I am not sure how it deviated since then. Let me know if I can help with a 0.4 migration.

Also, I am considering using it for tracers, not just debugging, since so far it works well.

5argon likes this.
  7. 5argon

5argon

Wow, I thought I came across the name somewhere!

I add just SubScene conv. support for 0.4 and some ECB.eq overload optimization + put systems in groups and it appears to work so far.. the billboard rotation is still not looking right however.

florianhanke likes this.
  8. florianhanke

florianhanke

Fame, at last! :D

If I don't move the camera it correctly is rotated towards that camera (and the camera is not moved in my tests).

I'll update with the latest code asap and will report back if there are issues (update: there are no issues).

Thank you for this useful library! :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020