Search Unity

Render Scale?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by CDF, Apr 25, 2020.

1. CDF

CDF

Was looking at the render scale option in my Pipeline Asset.
    It doesn't change rendering scale unless HDR or PostProcessing is true on Camera.

Just wondering if that's a bug or you do in fact need HDR or PostProcessing enabled?

If so, wouldn't that mean a lower performance if HDR/PostProcessing enabled and render scale of < 1
    vs no HDR/PostProcessing and render scale of 1?

naively I would expect a render scale of 0.5 to render twice as fast as render scale 1.
    But if I need to have HDR or PostProcessing enabled, seems that would negate the benefits?

2. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

That's peculiar. You should not need HDR or PostProcessing for the render scale to work.
    Do you not see any difference in the game window when you change the render scale value?

What version of Unity and URP are you using?

3. CDF

CDF

I don't see any difference unless HDR or post processing is on camera. Using URP 7.3.1 on Unity 2019.3.11

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  4. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Hmm... Do you happen to have many UniversalRenderPipelineAsset files in your project?

If yes, is the correct one assigned in the Project Settings for Graphics and Quality?

If no, then I'm not quickly figuring out what's going on. If you create a new URP project and do the same, does it work?

5. Kronnect

Kronnect

The Universal RP template sets a different rendering pipeline asset to each quality level so the active asset is the one for the active quality level (Project Settings / Quality) and not the default asset set in Project Settings / Graphics.

It should be useful to have a “Active Pipeline Asset” indicator in Project Settings / Graphics so nobody confuses this.

6. CDF

CDF

Sorry for the confusion. Didn't realize I had the 2D renderer selected.
    I don't have multiple pipeline assets in project.
    The issue doesn't occur in the normal Forward Renderer, only the 2D renderer.
    Here's a video and I've submitted a bug report:

I'll reply here with the case number once I get one

Elvar_Orn and Kronnect like this.
  7. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Ahh! I see.
    Thanks for submitting the bug. The 2D team will take a look at this and fix.

CDF likes this.
  8. CDF

CDF

Case 1241537

9. UserNobody

UserNobody

Hey Elvar, is there a way to change render scale when using the Built-in Pipeline? I am unable to use URP cause some assets that I use are not supported when using URP. And I really like the effect render scale gives when you set it to something like 0.5 or 0.25 and it is also great performance boost, so perfect for the retro game I'm working on.

10. RoKetX

RoKetX

I'd like to know too

11. weiping-toh

weiping-toh

Well, there is a way to replicate render scale in the Built-in pipeline, it is actually Screen.SetResolution. The only problem is that Screen.SetResolution requires you to get the Screen information and applying the render scale manually. The render scale abstracts it away and besides, URP and HDRP do not render directly to the screen, so they sort of do away the hassle with the Screen calculation and just scale the rendertextures respectively.

12. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

2021.1.0b12, URP, Win target, URPasset-quality-render scale, changing parameter from 0 to 2 has no effect.
    Edit: additional info- VR test, WMR HP Reverb G2.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  13. Gasimo

Gasimo

I would assume that would not produce much of a change in visual quality except maybe more accurate AntiAlias (crisper) and much lower performance. Its like rendering at higher resolution than your monitor has. What kind of effect are you looking for?

14. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

What I need is better antialiasing, because it seems that for URP and Windows Mixed Reality build, MSAA is 8x maximum (why not 12 or 16x?). And that's not enough. I still have a power reserve and I need to improve graphics quality, but I have no way to do it.
    Supersampling can be set for Steam and HTC Headset.

I want to use the Render Scale to achieve the same result. But Unity + WMR behaves differently than I would expect.

15. iuries

iuries

Hi!
    We set the render scale in our project at about 0.5. now Unity Ads are scaled up so that the Close button that appears after the ad plays is out of bounds, and there is no way to close the ad.
    Is that a bug in unity or should I somehow workaround this by making a script that sets render scale to 1 before the ad plays?
    I don't think ads should be affected by render scale.

ElliotB and EZaca like this.
  16. AhmadKarim

AhmadKarim

Have you figured it out? I have same issue, I want to get a decent antialising, can you share your experience?