Search Unity

Question render quality difference on Mac and Linux

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by taowenbo1993, Jun 2, 2023.

1. taowenbo1993

taowenbo1993

I have a scene that is rendered quite differently on Mac M1 and Linux. See attached. On the left is Mac, on the right is Linux. Both are builds built on Mac M1. URP. Unity 2022.2.1f1. Same scene, lighting and shadow settings.

On Linux the shadow is very light. The trees are less detailed. What can possibly attribute to this difference, and how can I minimize it? Appreciate any pointers!

Attached Files:

2. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

Hi, are these 2 builds use the same quality level ? (in player settings)

I saw that the shadow and foam look different too, so perhaps you're using a custom shader for them.

If the graphics API of Linux build is set to OpenGL, you can change it to Vulkan, as this shader doesn't seem to support OpenGL well. (You can also modify the shader to fix these issues if you'd like to.)

taowenbo1993 likes this.
  3. taowenbo1993

taowenbo1993

Thanks you. Yes they have the same quality level. The shadow does look different. The foam actually looks similar. The screenshot was at two different frames (my bad). The assets do use a custom shader for trees and water.

I'll try changing the graphics api and report back.

wwWwwwW1 likes this.
  4. wwWwwwW1

wwWwwwW1

If there's no problem on Vulkan, you can open the tree's custom shader and check if there's any
    #pragma exclude_renderers gles3 glcore
    in shadow caster pass.

This is usually unnecessary so you can remove this line to make the shadow appear on OpenGL platforms.

taowenbo1993 likes this.
  5. taowenbo1993

taowenbo1993

Thank you, you saved my day. Vulkan made things look very similar now! The shadow and details are all back. One thing I noticed that Vulkan is much more CPU intensive than OpenGL, but I guess that should be fixable.

wwWwwwW1 likes this.