Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Render Pipeline setup wizard for URP

Discussion in 'Authoring Dev Blitz Day 2023' started by echu33, Jan 26, 2023.

1. echu33

echu33

So I've mainly work with URP for a long time. And manually setup the pipeline asset has never been a great experience.

I found that the HDRP wizard is super handy to use when played around with HDRP.
    It ease the pain of looking at the unsorted Create/Asset menu, draging those asset into graphic property field...etc

upload_2023-1-26_15-57-10.png

I've wrote countless documents/record video about how to setup URP for my colleagues, and for users who use my URP plugin. And I knew that other people make plugin suffering to do these same thing over and over.(The reality is 99% of users won't/don't know how to go to URP package manual and read the intall instruction when they first install URP.)

So, again. A URP setup wizard would be super useful.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Haxel0rd and Deleted User like this.
  2. Theo-W

Theo-W

Unity Technologies

Hi Echu33, I'm the product designer working on URP at the moment. I wanted to understand a bit more of why you are manually setting up the pipeline asset. We now supply an Empty URP Template though the Hub as a starting point that requires no additional manual set up. Wondering what that offering is missing in which you need to additionally configure the project.

Haxel0rd likes this.
  3. Baste

Baste

I can imagine that the most common reason to want to do that is that you already have a game that has been developed with birp or hdrp, and want to switch over.

Haxel0rd likes this.
  4. echu33

echu33

Hello, the short answer is....I've never tried create a empty project using URP template.
    In that case it does help to ease some of the setup pain, thanks for the heads-up.

But for situations like manually install urp via package manager.
    (For example, people switching SRP in the middle of development, believe me it's quite often).
    A setup wizard that popup after install URP package would be super handy (behavior like HDRP wizard)

And another fact is. As we writing cross-SRP shader. it's quite often to install/uninstall the SRP package in order to switch between different version of URP/SRP/Birp to test breaking-change API. I feel hdrp's wizard really provide some better experience in this case.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Deleted User and DungDajHjep like this.
  5. Haxel0rd

Haxel0rd

Good example, as this is exactly what i ran into today, i was on HDRP and switched to URP. A Wizard would have been nice for this. I needed to check youtube tutorials to find out i have to manually create URP Global Asset (besides 2 or 3 other steps).

Then i found this forum post when googling for URP Wizard, as with URP Wizard, i wanted to
    check if my manual conversion was successfull (reason number two to have this).
    I expected the non-existing URP Wizard to show me the green checkmarks like for HDRP Wizard.

And finally, a third and reason is "standardisation" across the product- we already have this at HDRP,
    so please add this to other RP's as well for a global uniformity among the product.

I clearly vouch for OPs idea.

Thanks and best!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
    echu33 and Unifikation like this.
  6. Unifikation

Unifikation

A couple of "template" configs in the Wizard, that configure URP appropriately, with subset choices for various Android chipsets vs iOS, since the performance of their hardware is so different:

- Optimal 2D Performance For Mobile, Targeting 90 fps and above

- Optimal 3D Performance For Mobile, Targeting 60 fps and above

- Visual Fidelity for Mobile, targeting 30 fps

7. DevDunk

DevDunk

Targeting would be hard since every game scales differently and there are widely different devices.
    The new URP templates in 2023.2 might be what you're looking for for 3D! (2D isn't thát hard to optimize for usually)

8. Unifikation

Unifikation

This has nothing to do with how difficult or easy it is. It's for the purposes of insight, from Unity, to be transferred to users, through the usage of their own systems, with their inside knowledge, of what works best on what hardware, and for them to demonstrate this truth about their understandings of their own product, such that new users can confidently open a template and get to work.

You and I are probably still using BIRP.

9. DevDunk

DevDunk

I've been using URP full time for about 2 years now. Highly prefer it over BiRP by now.
    The new template for URP is great. A new 2D URP template with 2d lighting etc would be nice indeed. I suggest making a feature request on the 2d unity roadmap for it

10. Unifikation

Unifikation

You've made the point even better, there should be a lit and unlit 2D template. The lit should be targeting no more than 60fps, from my experience with URP lighting 2D in Unity and performance, whereas unlit can go far further.

Etc. I think you get the idea.

11. DevDunk

DevDunk

Make a roadmap suggestion.
    Also, do you mean 60fps on high end or low end?
    I think it would be hard to make a simple 2D unlit demo, as every 2d platformer guide will work for this. It really depends on what you want to make. 2D unlit is mostly just loading sprites which have functionality. 2D lit and 3D are easier to make a meaningful environment imo

12. Unifikation

Unifikation

Why?

Why can't I merely suggest it here?

13. Ok, I demand separate URP templates for every Nvidia cards sold both for fixed FPS and not fixed FPS, optimized for the given card. Back until the cards are supported.

[edit: obviously, please do not, it's just to show how nonsense this inquiry is]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2023
    Unifikation and DevDunk like this.
  14. DevDunk

DevDunk

Because these are the community forums and have no guarantee the team sees it.

15. Unifikation

Unifikation

Judging by the effectiveness of requests made of the roadmap, they don't see things there, either.

16. DevDunk

DevDunk

Then don't if you don't want to

17. IDK who said this to you, but they lied to you. Unity teams are evaluating and taking in proposals from the roadmap all the time.

echu33 likes this.
  18. Unifikation

Unifikation

There are quite specific settings that are important to achieving 90fps and above stably on Android, even for unlit. It's easier on modern iOS hardware, where 120fps (ProMotion) should be the target for this kind of template, but it still does involve some quite specific settings, just as a baseline, to consistently, stably get at 120fps. This kind of performance oriented configuration "template" for these kinds of objectives, would help new users, immensely, I think. And, more specifically, would help Unity inform users of changes to the URP baseline settings within each version.

19. DevDunk

DevDunk

The lowest quality preset with a blank URP template does this afaik. It's pretty good. No settings is always better, since some games need it and others dont

20. Unifikation

Unifikation

Do you make high speed, low latency games for iOS and Android? I do. I know it doesn't work, out of the box, anywhere near as well as it can.

21. DevDunk

DevDunk

Yes, for the quest 2, so I need to have a minimum of 72fps at around a 4k resolution.
    Why the need to respond like this?

22. Unifikation

Unifikation

Because

a pretty good setup != an optimal configuration.

23. DevDunk

DevDunk

Optimal depends on what your game is. It's relative. Nothing is perfect, just learn what the settings do.
    Not going to continue this thread anymore

24. Unifikation

Unifikation

Inversely, and kind of the point of starting from a truly optimal mobile setup, is that the game's systems, graphics and processes can then be designed around best exploiting that optimised, optimal setup and, using only what it is, how it is.

ie purpose built to both be fast and light.

In this way games can be sure to last the longest on the battery of the phone (no dark surprises. for the player exiting the game to find huge chunks of battery life gone), prevent thermal throttling and provide an experience best exploiting modern hardware's better capabilities - wide gamuts, high frame rates and low latency responsiveness.

Who better to know how to configure URP to do this than Unity?