Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Render Mode: Canvas VS WebGL

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by De-Panther, Dec 7, 2018.

1. De-Panther

De-Panther

So far Project Tiny looks great - I like the implementation of ECS in the Hierarchy.

But as the Documentation still in progress, I wonder about the Render Modes - Canvas and WebGL.
    What is the different between those two modes?
    They both run using asm.js?

Does Sprite2DRenderer use Mesh(Quad) on WebGL and CanvasRenderingContext2D.drawImage on Canvas?
    I wonder if we can use the same wrappers as Sprite2DRenderer in the Tiny Package for rendering more complex shapes.

2. sebastianm_unity

sebastianm_unity

Unity Technologies

You are correct, Canvas uses the old HTML5 Canvas API, and should only be used if your target platform does not support WebGL. The both use the same asm ECS.
    The current renderers are monolithic, they do only abstract to the Sprite level and do not expose meshes or shaders to user code. Mainly in order to support the canvas target.
    Future versions of Tiny (with 3D) will support a more scriptable rendering abstraction, but that will not be supported on Canvas targets.

3. De-Panther

De-Panther

Thanks.
    Theoretically, a developer can edit the Tiny package code and add wrappers for MeshRenderer in the same way that SpriteRenderer is wrapped? Or is it requires also changes on the Unity Editor compiled code?

4. sebastianm_unity

sebastianm_unity

Unity Technologies

Tiny uses it's own custom renderer separate from Big Unity. There is no MeshRenderer involved - the only API for rendering is through the ECS. The editor side maps those components to Big Unity rendering for editing only - at runtime it's completely different.

De-Panther likes this.