Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Renaming master sequence in Sequences window causes child game objects to be lost

Discussion in 'Virtual Production Previews' started by akent99, Jun 23, 2021.

1. akent99

akent99

I am having another go with the Sequences preview. I copied the directory from the sample project into my own project - seems to work (I could not find instructions - when I search the Asset Store etc I cannot find the preview package there), but I don't have the Cinematic Helpers panel, so maybe there is more I need to copy over. Basically, the following is for a non-standard set up.

I have been creating master sequences, nested sequences, and more deeply nested sequences to get my head around the concepts. I want to create a series of episodes in a series for my project, so I am thinking in my mind to create a new "Episode N Master Sequence", under which I have a sequence per "part" (act) in my episode, and under that a sequence for each "location" (scene) in the part.

I must admit confusion why "Structure" and "Asset Collections" are in the same panel rather than in separate panels. I can imagine have 13 or 26 episodes (lots of master sequences). I think I am understanding that Sequence Assembly is a quick way to add things into the currently selected Sequence in Structure. (So Structure and Sequence Assembly feel more related that Structure and Asset Collection - but I might not be understanding yet.)

If I understand, Asset Collections are shared across the whole project. So I can create Lighting for a sunny day at midday and reuse across scenes, or lighting for sunrise with Bloom etc. I can also build up a set of Characters, and Props etc. I expect to reuse the locations and characters across episodes, so this makes sense.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble - just sharing my thinking process so far.

The problem I wanted to share is when I tried to rename a Sequence in the Structure section, the children turned red in the Structure section and now say "Missing GameObject" when I hover over the row in red (see first screenshot below). The asset folder did rename, the timelines did rename, the game object in the current scene did rename - but it still seemed to have lost track of the parent/child relationship of the nested scenes.

upload_2021-6-23_0-49-22.png

upload_2021-6-23_0-49-43.png

upload_2021-6-23_0-50-26.png

The master timeline also seems to have the child sequence still.
    upload_2021-6-23_0-58-19.png

It was okay before I renamed the master sequence.

I tried using "Undo", but the scene hierarchy appears now to have been renamed back to the hold name, but the Structure window did not rename back and the folder name for the sequences did not undo either. So undo does not seem to be safe with the new tool.

2. ellka

ellka

Unity Technologies

Hi akent99, thanks a lot for your feedback! I'll try to answer your questions/issues the best I can:

First, I just want to confirm that your understanding of the Asset Collections panel and its content is right. Sequence Assets can be reused across multiple sequences and Master Sequences (so in your case across different episodes, acts or scenes).

For the confusion around the Structure panel and the Asset Collections panel being in the same window, that's an interesting feedback! I would leave this discussion out of my answer for now, but know that it's noted! Also know that it's not the first time that this topic arise.

Let's jump on the issue with the "Missing GameObject" error you got when renaming a MasterSequence! I will assume that you are using Unity 2021.1 or 2021.2 in this case, correct me if I'm wrong. If yes, we did encountered this bug in those Unity versions, and it will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Undoing the renaming of Master Sequence or Sequences is indeed not available right now. Any file creation, renaming or deletion are not actions easily "undoable". But I understand that you may want to be able to properly undo those anyway, is that correct?

Let us know if you have more question or if I miss-understood anything!
    Thanks again!

3. akent99

akent99

Sorry, I should have said. I am using 2020.3.9f1. It is not a major problem, just noting it for feedback.

4. ellka

ellka

Unity Technologies

Indeed, it's present in later version of 2020.3 (I always tired in 2020.3.0 in the past)! So yes, I confirm that it is fixed in the release to come! We'll let you know when it's available.

marief_unity likes this.