Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Renaming animations without losing the current animation events or references

Discussion in 'Animation' started by apapineni_unity, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:57 PM.

1. apapineni_unity

apapineni_unity

I'm working on a project atm, and we have several animation clips that have animation events on them that are part of an FBX. We've recently had a desire to change our naming convention, but when the artists change the name in Maya and export to Unity we lose all the animation events we had before, and all the references to the previous animation clip. Is there a way we can do this without losing everything because being locked to names is super inconvenient?

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

• When you re-export, always overwrite the existing FBX.
    • If you want to rename the file, only do it in Unity.
    • If you want to rename the animations in the file, do it in the FBX import settings.
    That way Unity knows about all your renaming and can adjust references accordingly.

3. apapineni_unity

apapineni_unity

So in my experience that doesn't actually work. Renaming the animations in the file results in losing the anim events and all the references to the clip in Unity. When you rename the clip, AND rename it the same way in the export from maya you actually do keep the events, but the references to the previous clip still get lost.

4. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

As I said, "If you want to rename the animations in the file, do it in the FBX import settings." Unity can't know about anything you do in Maya, so any renaming you do there looks no different to removing one thing and creating another.

Recording.gif

I made my own event system for my animation system since I don't like the way Unity's Animation Events work, but I've never had a problem with it losing references or events.