Search Unity

Rename Project name option

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Waterlane, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Waterlane

Waterlane

KevPaulMarkwell likes this.
  2. Waterlane

Waterlane

I'd like to add to this and ask for:

Unity Hub to rename and backup projects.
    I've just spent some time re-organising/backing-up projects and found it very frustrating/confusing.

e.g. I rename a project via my account, but still need to rename the player and folder name manually
    and if I copy/move the project folder then my account only refers to one project.

What I'd really like is a simple way (Hub) to select my project and have the options to.
    1. RENAME PROJECT (automatically renaming it in account/folder/player)

2. RENAME+BACKUP/Archive (CLEARLY being able to specify a new location/name -or suffix with 'archive automatically)

I've a feeling these features were mentioned in a previous Unite?
    (this type of thing would make it easier for copying a prejoct and testing it with different versions of the editor/assets/packages - which might mean less problems for people - i.e. not messing up the original project)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  3. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Hi Waterlane,

Thank you for your feedback. The feature is in our backlog, and we will address it based on the priority

4. Waterlane

Waterlane

Cheers afshinity - Are all 3 features in the backlog?

1. RENAME Project
    2. ARCHIVE Project
    3. DUPLICATE Project (allowing for different asset/package version to be used)

5. afshinity

afshinity

Unity Technologies

Rename project is in the backlog.
    For the other two, I am asking our PM to consider them.

KevPaulMarkwell and Waterlane like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

What about doing this directly in the Explorer on the equivalent if you are on a Mac?

Adding too many options to the hub will make it a fat, uncontrollable, little bastard everybody will hate. ;)

7. Waterlane

Waterlane

Renaming a project is more than renaming a folder - if you check the link I've posted above, it's a series of about 4 separate things. If that could be automate into a hub rename, I feel it would be quite useful.

just having the option to rename etc next to a project name wouldn't bloat it imo.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, that one plus another one, plus ten other ones, plus a hundred other ones, and what do you think the Hub will become? A bloat that you'll have to keep open all along when you work on your projects. :)

9. Melodicpinpon

Melodicpinpon

C'mon, I can't even give a name to my things in here!