Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Rename "File > Save"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Peter77, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

upload_2020-11-23_8-23-31.png

dimmduh1 likes this.
  2. mgear

mgear

i haven't yet figured out what Save Project does.. (or at least never had to use it)

so maybe save project should be merged into Save (i mean ctrl+s should save things, the scene and project stuff) ?

dimmduh1 likes this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

The documentation explains all that, but if you need to consult a documentation to figure out what one of the most basic actions is doing, it's not named good enough in my opinion.

upload_2020-11-23_8-39-43.png
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Saving.html

dimmduh1 and Kurt-Dekker like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Interesting. It used to be named differently if you remember. I think it changed around 2018.1 or so? It used to be Save Scene and Save Project. Unity improved their in editor multi-scene editing functionality, and either around then or shortly thereafter made the naming change.

I had assumed the entire time that it was just to reflect that Save would save all open scenes now instead of just a single scene as it had done previously. Looks like they changed it to "Save" because it now just saves everything. I guess I can stop my usual habit of just clicking both "Save" and "Save Project", which used to be needed but doesn't seem to be anymore.