Search Unity

Rename "aa" folder

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by DrSeltsam, Aug 8, 2019.

1. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam

Is there a way to rename the "aa" folder (in StreamingAssets) which is created when building the game, or is it possible to set a custom path for the Addressables? I've managed to move the actual bundle files to a custom location (and they can be loaded successfully), but it still puts the "catalog.json", "link.xml" and "settings.json" files into the aa folder. Is there a way to get rid of this folder (or rename it) and change the path for these files?

2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Not really a good way to do it. Why do you want to? It's very possible we could fix things so that you could, but I don't want to misunderstand your need and work on a "fix" that doesn't actually do what you want.

3. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam

Thanks for your quick response :) Basically I would just like to rename the "aa" folder in the StreamingAssets folder in the built game, because I have a few other folders there (containing files I'm handling separately) and I'd like to keep some sort of "naming convention" there (the "aa" folder looks odd if there are other folders called "Images", "Music", "Text" etc for example).
    In addition to that, the end user perhaps checks out the StreamingAssets folder in the final game and might not understand why there is a folder called "aa" (or why it's called "aa").

It's really just a cosmetic thing, but I'd be happy if there is a way to either rename the "aa" folder (e.g. being able to choose a custom name for it), or if we could alternatively move the "catalog.json", "link.xml" and "settings.json" files into a separate folder (it's ok if we have to use a custom build script for that) and tell the Addressables system to load them from there

4. danilonishimura

danilonishimura

Honest question, why would he need to understand whats in there?

RecursiveFrog likes this.
  5. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam

I've often seen players who investigate the game folders, especially if they want to modify some game files or if they just want to take a look "under the hood". The "aa" folder might look a little bit odd, and most players probably wouldn't know that "aa" refers to "addressable assets", so a player might think the dev was just too lazy to choose a proper name ^^

In my case, there are other folders in the StreamingAssets folder (e.g. "Images", "Music" etc) and the "aa" folder doesn't really fit to them.

Really, it's just a cosmetic issue ;) But I'm always happy to have as much control as possible over these things

6. RecursiveFrog

RecursiveFrog

I’m sure they’ll figure it out soon enough. Determined modders and other Unity devs will figure it out quickly and the knowledge will make its way to the community in short order.

7. unity_bill

unity_bill

understood, thanks for the explanation