Search Unity

Question Removing unwanted 2D assets

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Paravil, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Paravil

Paravil

Basically the title.
    Out of the entire 2D package, my project only needs a few basic features, such as editing sprites. Is there a way to remove unnecessary parts of this package like Animation or Tilemap?

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Select the package in Package Manager and click the Remove button in the package details pane (bottom right).

3. Paravil

Paravil

The problem is that I can't remove, for example, only 2D Animation because it is a dependency for the 2D package.
    I can only remove the 2D package completely, but I still need some of its features.

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Why would you want to remove them in the first place? It's not going to make a difference despite fewer menu items.

5. Paravil

Paravil

Just annoying packages that take up a lot of space and can't be removed.
    It's strange that there really isn't such a possibility

6. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

45 MB for 2D Animation and 2D Tilemap packages is not a lot of space. I'd call that negligible (specifically when compared to the Burst package):
    upload_2022-11-29_15-22-44.png

The folder where I have all my Unity projects (about 60) of which most are experiments and prototypes but no actual production project takes up about 120 GB total over 2 million files, or ~2 GB per project on average.

Anthiese likes this.
  7. Anthiese

Anthiese

2D isn't a package, it's what they call a "feature set." This only serves to aggregate a bunch of packages being installed together. You can remove the feature set but keep some of the packages by explicitly adding these packages to the Packages/manifest.json file or by using "Add package by name..." and entering the name (e.g. "com.unity.2d.spriteshape") and version for all the packages you want to keep from the feature before removing it.

maximeb_unity likes this.