Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Removing "read-only" from Animation Clips?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by DrezzyNoShima, Jan 27, 2018.

1. DrezzyNoShima

DrezzyNoShima

Hello Guys!

So I have a model with already existing animations that I wanted to use. Those also work perfectly fine, but I would still like to edit some of them.. which I can't, since all clips are in "read-only" mode and I really have no idea how to fix this. I was reading that copying the animation clip with CTRL+D would fix it, but creating a copy doesn't even work.

The model file and the animation files were also in a .smd format at the beginning. So what I did was:

- Importing the model and the animations into blender
    - Exporting them together as one fbx file
    - Importing it again to Unity

So as I said, the animations work fine with the model, but I'd LOVE to remove this "read-only" part, since it bothers me now for a long time..

Help would be appreciated a lot! c: 20180127_122029.png 20180127_122029.png

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I believe you can turn off read-only by going into debug mode - check documentation to learn more about debug mode.

For future animation edits - strongly consider editing in a 3D software package like blender, 3D Max or Maya.
    This will save you hours of frustration, compared to animation editing in Unity.

BTW - if these are humanoid setup animations you will not be able to edit and keep the changes in Unity. Humanoid setup is for imported animations, not internal edited/created animations.
    You will have to use the generic rig instead to allow for in engine editing.

There are tools available in the asset store to overcome this mecanim restriction, but I've never used any of them so I can't say how they work, how user friendly they are.

3. DrezzyNoShima

DrezzyNoShima

Thank you for the answer!
    I actually did it first in Maya and had no problems with editing the animations.. but when I tried to export it to Unity, it just became an useless animation named "Take 001" and I couldn't use it for my model anymore. Is there maybe something important to do that I missed when exporting animation clips from Maya to Unity?

Sorry, I'm just really unexperienced with animations <.<

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hard to say - probably the rig defaulted to humanoid and you didn't set up an avatar properly, but that is a wild guess based on very limited information.
    Consider strongly working through the animation training/learning material in the learn section. This will give you a great base to proceed.

5. davejas

davejas

I've since learned a very easy way to remove read-only...

1. Select the animation in your assets folder
    2. Expand the file with the little arrow in the circle
    3. Select the animation itself, the icon with the play button
    4. Press Command-D (on Mac)

This will create a duplicate of that file that is no longer read-only!

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 6.21.05 PM.png

6. unity_XY9GfkpHMyaikw

unity_XY9GfkpHMyaikw

It didn't work . I lose the avatar.

7. DaveMero

DaveMero

If have the same Problem. If i try to duplicate it i get an error: ArgumentException: Ilegal Charakters in path. What is that meaning?

8. DaveMero

DaveMero

9. intellime

intellime

It is OK, just click on the avatar icon and select one of the options:
    upload_2019-5-29_16-5-43.png

upload_2019-5-29_16-7-33.png

If you want to use your own model, so click 'Other...' and then select the FBX file which is already contains your avatar.

10. anthonycavuoti

anthonycavuoti

Life Saver. Thank you!!!