Search Unity

Remove Unnecessary Packages

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by mholmes, May 8, 2019.

1. mholmes

mholmes

I recently updated to 2019 and now I have a bunch of un needed packages loaded into my project. Space is critical when building mobile apps. I dont need or want text mesh etc. How do I remove this stuff and prevent it from adding its self for future builds?

alarm656 likes this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Window > Package Manager

3. mholmes

mholmes

Ok thanks, I'll give it a shot.

4. mholmes

mholmes

upload_2019-5-8_19-48-37.png

Missing for 2018

5. I guess if you open up the console you will have errors in it (the red ones). Fix them and the package manager should appear.

6. mholmes

mholmes

The issue was package manager was not listed and I could not remove the packages. I resolved the issue with a uninstall reinstall. I've noticed Unity 2018 & 2019 seem to be very buggy. I went ahead and downloaded 2019 on my other machine to resolve this but now the project is jacked up and API calls are no longer working. I have the project backed up on GitHub, so I think I'll delete my local and clone it to try to resolve it. Just very frustrating and time consuming. fixing stupid stuff like this caused by the engine.

7. Crystalline

Crystalline

Oh , this engine is plagued by bugs. I remember the good ol 5.6 days where everything just worked fine.

amiel_ace likes this.
  8. LaneFox

LaneFox

Well what did you expect? You upgraded your project, it's completely normal for things to need refactoring. APIs change regularly between versions.

9. mholmes

mholmes

I updated from 2017 to 2018 because i did not want to fall behind but as soon as i updated boom tons of issues. I updated again to 2019 because 2018 stopped letting me debug with VS 2015 and VS 2017 had weird issues which 2019 seemed to fix. Now this ugg. Its Unity really needs to get better QA team or better devs. We don't need a new release every year. focus on quality releases. Is there any stable versions available currently?

@LaneFox
    The API is an API I built and manage so that's not relevant. When you upgrade you expect to "upgrade" not downgrade.

10. LaneFox

LaneFox

2019 is stable. What are the specific issues you're having? How is your own API being broken the fault of Unity 2019?

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

How is it that some people, who seem to be experienced in using sophisticated software, do not understand that each time they upgrade their projects to a new version of Unity, they actually use an entirely new software? Hence the problems...

12. Antypodish

Antypodish

Is probably same, as knowing how to driving a car, but not knowing knowing, how to replace light bulb in a car.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

:giggling:

14. Except these people here are building a different type of car (game) on the top of the base car (engine). So they should know how to replace a light bulb... :D

15. mholmes

mholmes

Pff I'm sorry I replaced my light bulbs with energy efficient ones and they don't burn as bright sometimes. I did however, figure out some of my issues through trial & error.