Search Unity

Question Remoting to HL2 instantly crashes Unity

Discussion in 'VR' started by Thomas-Mountainborn, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

I'm trying to get set up with developing for the HoloLens 2, but I'm running into some issues when trying to use the remoting feature. Using both the legacy 2019.4 and the new 2020.1 remoting features, Unity instantly crashes with a runtime error (see attached screenshot). The remoting player is running on the device. I can also access the device from my PC through the browser. WSA remoting is enabled in the player / XR settings. Any clues as to what causes this, and how I can get it run after all? Remoting to the HL1 works just fine.

This is the last entry in the editor log:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Hey, unfortunately the log doesn't help much as we aren't capturing exceptions from CreateRemoteContext in the existing packages, so we don't know what the failure there was. We will be adding this to a future release, but that doesn't help you now. Here's a couple suggestions though that will either resolve the problem or give us a bit more info:
    1. Double check to make sure the remoting player on device is up to date. It should be installing updates automatically, but you can force it to grab latest by reinstalling it.
    2. Make sure you are on the latest Windows MR package versions (for either Legacy or the Windows XR Plugin). Reinstalling the package will grab latest.
    3. I can't tell whether you are in Play mode from the image you showed, but make sure you connect before the Display Provider is initialized. This means connecting before entering play mode (if you have "Initialize on Start" in the settings), or before you start the subsystem through script when the app is running (if you don't).
    4. Make sure you've set the correct capabilities in the project settings to allow networking. The safe bet is to enable Client, Server, and Internal Client.

3. Thomas-Mountainborn

Thomas-Mountainborn

Thanks for the response, @EdBlais. Unfortunately, all four steps were already taken care of. I double checked everything, but the result is the same.