Search Unity

Remote settings works once unless updated on dashboard

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Brathnann, May 11, 2018.

1. Brathnann

Brathnann

I have a project that was created back in version 5.6 of unity. At that time I had installed remote settings off the asset store. Since then, have updated to 2017 and now 2018.1 f2.

I still had the version from the asset store and even updated it from the asset store. Finally, I just deleted the remote settings from the Editor folder and Plugins folder.

It does look like remote settings is now built in, but I'm still encountering an odd issue.

When the app is first installed on a device and run, remote settings works and I get the callback. App loads as expected. If I close the app, the callback doesn't happen. I even tried to use the RemoteSettings.ForceUpdate and that still didn't work.

If I then clear the cache and data for the app and run the app again, remote settings works again, but only once.

I then tested by changing the values on the Unity Dashboard and remote settings works once when I change the value, but then it doesn't work again unless I change the value on Unity Dashboard. It's almost as if it doesn't do the callback if it doesn't see an update. Am I mistaken that it is suppose to do the callback no matter what? (as long as it has an internet connection or it has a previous downloaded remote settings?)

So to reiterate, remote settings works once with fresh app install, if the cache/data is cleared, or if I change the values on the Unity Dashboard for remote settings.

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Brathnann,

Yeah, there was a change in the Remote Settings functionality in 2018.1. We will need to update the documentation to account for that.

The callback will not fire if the Remote Settings we get from the server match what you have cached. Depending on how you are using Remote Settings, the simplest workaround may be to call your method using the Remote Settings manually (in Start/Awake) in addition to registering it as a callback.

I have some sample code in this forum post:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/rem...er-not-always-dispatched.524811/#post-3449216

unityjingyao likes this.
  3. Brathnann

Brathnann

Ah, ok. No wonder. We're using it as a version control system, so we can inform the user if there is an update.

Thanks, think I can figure out a way to handle it now.