Search Unity

Remote Settings: Was updated from server: True - Settings changed: False - Server response: 200

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by boorch, Apr 4, 2019.

1. boorch

boorch

Hi,
    My remote settings don't get updated. Debug outputs this:
    Was updated from server: True - Settings changed: False - Server response: 200

I had similar issues in the past (late 2018) but most of them turned out to be server-side issues (failing to sync due to an ongoing update etc) and resolved themselves in a couple of hours. This time it's been going on for more than 24 hours.

I checked https://status.cloud.unity3d.com/ and everything seems to be fine according to the limited amount of info available there.

So now I'm suspicious if it's something I broke or it's once again a server-side issue. And if it is, I'd love to have a way to get notified of things causing the issues or at least a better way to check if something unusual (including an update) happening server-side since Remote Settings is a tool I use/rely on quite a lot.

- I'm using Unity 2018.3.11f1 and the latest Remote Settings on the Asset Store on macOS 10.13.6.

- The Remote Settings window in editor refreshes and display the correct values in sync.

- I tried changing some of the variables on the to-be-synced component to irrelevant values for testing purposes (to see if anything happens at all) and Remote Settings indeed changed the values at run-time, but not to the recent ones that are on the server. I believe Remote Settings syncs the values from an old revision (probably one I committed about a day ago).

Please help :(

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We've had some issues with Remote Settings over the last couple of days, can you please try again?

3. boorch

boorch

Hi, I'm still having the exact same issue.

P.S: Just in case, I've tried changing some values on Remote Settings panel (website) then pressed "sync" again in hopes of overriding the old "stuck" settings again, but nothing changed. Still syncing the old ~now 2 days old~ values.

P.P.S: Refreshing the values on Remote Settings (Window > Unity Analytics > Remote Settings) updates the values successfully and displays correct values (the latest values I've synced on website). But at run-time, the "old sync values" are there just as described above and the original post.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Are you refreshing/using Development or Release settings? Was it working previously?

5. boorch

boorch

I'll paste the same reply I sent to the support ticket just for archival purposes (in case anyone has the same trouble)

I tried changing both Development and Release settings and even synced new values numerous times throughout the day hoping something "gets overriden" somehow so I can use the latest sync.

I also tried ditching/deleting the Remote Settings (Asset Store version) completely and tried syncing by code and the result is still the same. I believe it's not relevant to the asset store version.

I still get the data from 2 days ago no matter what.

Here's whats super strange IMHO:
    Was Updated from Server: true (this is somehow correct because even if I change the local values, Remote Settings gets the "old values" from 2 days ago at runtime. It actually gets data from the server, just not the correct revision.

Settings Changed: false (this is super strange because Remote Settings actually gets the "old values" and changes my local values at runtime, so I don't know how this results "false")

Edit: I've also tried adding a new string variable to Remote Settings called "teststring" which includes the string "this is a test" and at runtime this is what I get on Debug.Log:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Debug.Log("Test string: " + RemoteSettings.GetString("teststring"));
    Console output:

Test string:
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    Connector:RemoteSettingsUpdateCompleted(Boolean, Boolean, Int32) (at Assets/Shooter/Scripts/Connector.cs:230)
    UnityEngine.RemoteSettings:RemoteSettingsUpdateCompleted(Boolean, Boolean, Int32)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  6. boorch

boorch

I'll briefly write how I solved the issue here. Not the best practical solution, but it got me going on.

After trying countless things, I've realized the issue must definitely be server-side and related to this specific project. Unlinking the project and creating a new projectID did not work. Services/Unity Analytics got stuck. (They told me it would take 8 to 16 hours for Analytics to show any data but that was not the case in this specific situation. It simply got stuck at the "play once" step. Unity Analytics never got enabled no matter what I did.)

CAUTION! Do this at your own risk and always backup your project before doing so.

So I suspected of a possible "permission issue" and decided to ditch my ProjectSettings.asset file. I downloaded my current Remote Settings as a csv file. I quit Unity, deleted ProjectSettings.asset, relaunched Unity and opened the very same problematic project. A new ProjectSettings file is automatically generated with a new projectID. I simply enabled Analytics (worked this time, and in 2 minutes, it showed me some data, not 8 hours later), opened Remote Settings page, uploaded the csv I downloaded, synced. And BAM! Everything works flawlessly!

I suspect it was a server side issue because no matter what I did, (and I did a lot) Remote Settings kept on syncing from a specific revision I've pushed 3 days ago. The only possible way I though of was to create a new project and carry everything in but that wasn't necessary since deleting ProjectSettings and auto-generating a new one was practically like a new project "server-side".

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Glad to hear that your client side updates fixed the issue for you! Regarding the 8-16 hours, that is the time it takes the Dashboard to process incoming events and display them in the reports. It will display "Waiting for data" in the meantime. I wasn't referring to Remote Settings behavior which is real time, apologies on the confusion. It may have been a server side issue or a possible side effect of the recent outage, but this is the only report of this specific behavior that we have seen. In the future and for other users, a Charles Proxy capture would provide definitive information if you are not seeing Remote Settings updates.

8. boorch

boorch

Hi, I think I described the situation poorly regarding enabling analytics. I did not get activated at all, it got stuck at that last step (I can't recall the exact words but) "Press Play to activate" state in Services window. I've tried all the steps listed in "Having issues" section but nothing changed. I even tried removing Analytics package and installing it again, installing an older version etc. Nothing changed. After linking the project with a brand new ID, the analytics got activated the second I pressed play.

Nevertheless I guess that wasn't relevant to the Remote Settings problem. I will use Charles to log stuff if anything gets broken again. I guess it's better to capture logs than trying to decribe some complicated awkward situation with my poor English skills :)