Search Unity

Remote settings takes two loads to update

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Brathnann, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Brathnann

Brathnann

Currently, using remote settings for version control and to be able to let a user know if there is an update.

However, I seem to be getting some odd behavior.

If I currently, for example, have a string with version 1.0.0 listed in it up on the remote server and start up the game, it shows 1.0.0 as the value as expected.

If I then change it to 1.0.1 for example and load up the game, it still shows 1.0.0. If I restart the game, it will then show 1.0.1 like it should.

I do have
    RemoteSettings.Updated += new RemoteSettings.UpdatedEventHandler(HandleRemoteUpdate); in Start and the debugs get printed in the method that gets called, but I'm not sure if it's just using an older remote settings if it seems to take to long? We have a decent internet connection at work, so I wouldn't have thought that we'd have issues with getting the updated RemoteSettings.

Is there a way to adjust the timeout or get it to wait longer for the remotesettings to get fetched?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

It might take a few seconds for the server settings to take effect once saved, but is not an issue that we are aware of. Does it always take two restarts of the app to see the new settings, regardless of elapsed time?

3. Brathnann

Brathnann

Yes, I tried a few test. I changed it and loaded up the app right away and it showed the old version the first time and then the new version the second time. (I actually thought it just needed a moment to update on the server)

Other test I waited several mins and it still took two loads to update.

I actually even did a test to see if a fresh load did anything. If I did a fresh load (where I went into android settings and cleared all data). When I debuged RemoteSettings.GetString("iOSVersion") it showed up empty the first time and then the proper version number the second time.

I'm using Unity 2017.2.0p1 and I use https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/log-viewer-12047 Log viewer to show the debug print outs once built to the android device.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

When you mention "load up the app", you mean you restart the app? The settings only load when you start the app (or restart).

5. Brathnann

Brathnann

Yes, I completely close the app(swipe it so it closes) and tap the icon to start it up again. We have a startup scene that handles initial setup and where the version check is.

6. Brathnann

Brathnann

To add, it seems fine in Editor. If I change the Development remote settings and run it in editor, it is getting the new value. Just seems to be once I build to the device and change the Release settings that it takes two app restarts to get the new value.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood, I will test here and confirm.

8. Brathnann

Brathnann

Any chance you had the opportunity to verify this on your end?

Thanks.

9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@Brathnann I will try to get to this soon, hopefully in the next day or two.

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I was not able to reproduce. I set a Development setting in the Dashboard, and clicked Sync. Each time I do this, and then the next time I run the game in the Editor, it shows the new setting on first play. My Android device is using the Release settings, and it also displays the updated Remote Setting on first play. I'm using Unity 2017.3 and Remote Settings 0.1.6.

11. Brathnann

Brathnann

hmm...Well, I'm not sure if this is something I could give a build of since you don't have access to my remote settings. We're still in 2017.2.0p1 since 2017.3 is in beta, but I'll do a split and see if it occurs in the latest beta as well.

12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Does this occur in the Editor for you as well? I don't believe it is release related, we have not heard of any other reports of this behavior. If you want to direct message me, I could give you a zip file of my project, and you could link it to your organization and create the corresponding remote setting value in your Dashboard.

13. Brathnann

Brathnann

It doesn't happen in editor, only in the Android build. And it doesn't occur with other versions of Unity as we've used remote settings before without this happening, so this was the first time I'd seen it behave this way, but this is a different project and I just went through setting up remote settings in it.

14. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood, let me test with 2017.2 also.

15. ovrdb

ovrdb

Same Problem here on iOS. I'm on Unity 5.6, RemoteSettings 0.1.6.

I'm trying to fetch a boolean from remote settings in the first scene, directly at startup.
    When I run a fresh build via xcode on a device, the boolean has the value it had on compile time when I check it in the OnUpdated handler.

This is how to reproduce it:
    - compile in unity
    - change the remote settings in the analytics dashboard
    - wait
    - run on device via XCode: settings are not updated
    - close the app
    - rerun: settings are updated

That behaviour is reproducable, even when not rebuilding the project in between. Every change in the remote settings needs two startups for the app to get it, regardless the wait time.

Is OnUpdated fired at session start, although the server request is not through, yet?
    I read about "RemoteSettings.ForceUpdate" but that method doesn't seem to exist any more.

16. ovrdb

ovrdb

Appears to be a race condition issue: when I add a few seconds delay after OnUpdated before getting the RemoteSetting value it works as expected.

17. Brathnann

Brathnann

I was wondering if that may be the case, that it was perhaps timing out and then triggering the Update call back to use the old values. Mine did start working correctly, but I hadn't retested since I tested again a few days ago. Your results are exactly what I got the first time around when I ran several test.

Also, the ForceUpdate call still exist for me. It was actually the suggested way to get the values if I needed to retrieve them outside when the app starts.

18. Flarup

Flarup

I know this is a super old thread, but have this bug actually ever been fixed?

I still experience this issue on Android. I have to fetch twice from the server before I get the latest values. It appears like the first time (after I change values, and wait some minutes) it just returns the cached values, and then it starts downloading the new values. When I then restart my app, then Remote Config gives me the latest values.

I only fetch the value during startup, and I wait for the FetchCompleted to be invoked before I process the values.

I'm using Unity 2019.4 LTS and Remote Config 1.3.2.

Thanks a lot in advance for all help.

19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This thread is referring to Remote Settings, not Remote Config. Can you try Remote Config 1.4.0-preview.2? You need to enable "Show preview packages" under the Advanced menu in Package Manager

Flarup likes this.
  20. Flarup

Flarup

Thanks for bringing my attention to the new version @JeffDUnity3D! It seems to fix it.

Kind regards,
    Uffe

JeffDUnity3D likes this.