Search Unity

Remote Settings not working

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by gh-madrid, Apr 1, 2019.

1. gh-madrid

gh-madrid

Since the start of the day, our game has been getting 502 errors when trying to connect to Remote Settings. The game was working fine last week.

Currently we require players to get updated remote settings before they can play, so this is blocking them from playing!

If this is expected to occur more frequently let us know because then we'll have to redesign our implementation, right now we relay on this service being up to initialize the game.

2. at-at

at-at

We're stuck with this same problem too and it's been a major blocker for our work today. What's worse, Unity's official status page claims the server is operational so I'm not even sure if anyone there is aware things are failing this badly.

3. xVergilx

xVergilx

That's really nasty April's Fools Joke.

Got constant crashes due to RemoteSettings being unavailble. Had to disable it completely as a workaround.

4. eggzilla

eggzilla

Any news? Still not work!

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We are aware of the issue and working on it. No ETA but hopefully later today. I will update here.

xVergilx likes this.
  6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

This has been resolved and operations should be back to normal, apologies on the inconvenience. We are putting additional checks in place to ensure this doesn't happen again.

xVergilx likes this.
  7. gh-madrid

gh-madrid

Hey Jeff,

The issue has returned today and is blocking us again. Any explanation as to the cause? At this point we're changing our setup so that we do not require the values on startup, and are moving critical data to another service.

Please let us know when this is resolved.

KimGH, xVergilx and MCrassweller like this.
  8. xVergilx

xVergilx

9. zhouxing

zhouxing

Remote Settings not working, Who can debug

10. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We are working on this.

Kos-Boss and xVergilx like this.
  11. nikescar

nikescar

Ha, I haven't touched my RemoteSettings scripts in a couple months and it just so happens that I was trying to work on that stuff today.

Because it had been working flawless for me I kind of disregarded the the BETA tag. This just drives the point home that beta means not for production.

12. at-at

at-at

We just went live with our first remote settings enabled feature last night and got burned hard. As nikescar said, beta is beta and we shouldn't have disregarded that. Lesson learned.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  13. extradimensiongames

extradimensiongames

Jeff, you and I have had this discussion many times before about the livestream, but this is a clear extension of that issue.

This is a mission critical piece of software that customers are paying for to run their businesses. There is no status page, no alerts that it's down, no way to know something is wrong without finding an issue and manually debugging it. Unity needs an SLA for all cloud components IMMEDIATELY, or the responsibility for lost revenue will become a major issue. Developers as your customers, need to know what to expect from these tools and offerings, and how Unity will communicate issues, how long to resolve, and how post-mortems will be shared.

As a company, Unity has done well cultivating a strong developer community, but these cloud offerings are dragging down the reputation and reliability of the brand, and present a major liability for long term growth and retention.

14. xVergilx

xVergilx

Bump, any news?

15. oskar-szulc

oskar-szulc

16. xVergilx

xVergilx

It was working for me few hours ago, so I guess its fixed again.

17. boorch

boorch

It's been non-functional for me this whole day.
    My issue is this:
    Was updated from server: True - Settings changed: False - Server response: 200

and

Remote Settings syncing to an older revision (like from a day ago).

18. eladleb4

eladleb4

Is the service down again? Is there a status page for either this or the newer Remote config?

19. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We are working on this.

20. tdcgame

tdcgame

Now Remote Settings not working with me, it is cached not load the newest value, can you check that?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  21. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Was it working for you, and stopped working? When did this happen? Are you using the latest RC version? Probably best to post here in the future and check first to see if anyone else has reported any issues https://forum.unity.com/forums/unity-remote-config.371/

22. tdcgame

tdcgame

yes, it's was working and now stop working. You can check my image file below

Attached Files:

23. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I'm sorry but you're going to need to describe your problem with words and not screenshots. Please show your code using Code Tags here (not screenshots please). Describe what you are expecting, and what you are seeing, and steps to reproduce.

24. Tony-Sparrow

Tony-Sparrow

Hi, I try to get config from remote and put the debug but ConfigManager.appConfig.GetKeys(); always return zero key.
    I set up the environment and config in the remote dashboard. What did I missing?

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Awake() {
    2.   // Add a listener to apply settings when successfully retrieved:
    3.   ConfigManager.FetchCompleted += ApplyRemoteSettings;
    5.   // Set the user’s unique ID:
    6.   ConfigManager.SetCustomUserID("snake-player");
    7.   ConfigManager.SetEnvironmentID("soft launch");
    8.   // Fetch configuration setting from the remote service:
    9.   ConfigManager.FetchConfigs<userAttributes, appAttributes>(new userAttributes(), new appAttributes());
    10. }
    12. private string jsonLevelStr;
    13. private const string remote_key_game_config = "game_level";
    15. void ApplyRemoteSettings(ConfigResponse configResponse) {
    16.   // Conditionally update settings, depending on the response's origin:
    17.   switch (configResponse.requestOrigin) {
    18.     case ConfigOrigin.Default:
    19.       jsonLevelStr = textData.text;
    20.       LoadData();
    21.       break;
    22.     case ConfigOrigin.Cached:
    23.       Debug.Log("No settings loaded this session; using cached values from a previous session.");
    24.       jsonLevelStr = PlayerPrefs.GetString(SaveKeyPlayerLevelCache, textData.text);
    25.       LoadData();
    26.       break;
    27.     case ConfigOrigin.Remote:
    28.       Debug.Log("New settings loaded this session; update values accordingly.");
    29.       jsonLevelStr = ConfigManager.appConfig.GetString(remote_key_game_config);
    31.       Debug.Log(ConfigManager.appConfig.environmentID + " :environmentID: " + ConfigManager.appConfig.assignmentID);
    32.       string[] ks = ConfigManager.appConfig.GetKeys();
    33.       Debug.Log("ks: " + ks.Length);
    34.       for (int i = 0; i < ks.Length; i++) {
    35.         Debug.Log("ks: " + ks[i]);
    36.       }
    38.       Debug.Log("jsonLevelStr: " + jsonLevelStr);
    39.       PlayerPrefs.SetString(SaveKeyPlayerLevelCache, jsonLevelStr);
    40.       PlayerPrefs.Save();
    41.       LoadData();
    42.       break;
    43.   }
    44. }

25. SamOYUnity3D

SamOYUnity3D

Unity Technologies

I just tested it and ConfigManager.appConfig.GetKeys() works fine for me. Have you configured any keys? Could you try it again to see if it works for you now?

26. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

You need to use the latest Preview version as I had mentioned, this is a known issue with earlier versions. Under Advanced in Package Manager, select Show preview packages. And I'm not sure you want to cache using PlayerPrefs, we cache the last value for you. And it looks like you are using Remote Config and not Remote Settings, correct? Remote Settings will be deprecated and removed next year in favor of Remote Config https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.remote-config@0.3/manual/ConfiguringYourProject.html

27. sanchitgng

sanchitgng

it's not working now, remote config servers are down and our whole game is broken now, we are at a huge loss, please help, our game has more than 15k players and everything is broken, they can unlock anything as prices were coming from remote config servers, we will have to experience the loss even after this gets over.

28. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Understood! Perhaps not the best time to mention it :) but for those users who play offline for example or have local network issues, you will want to set realistic default values:

enemyDamage = ConfigManager.appConfig.GetFloat ("enemyDamage", myDefaultValue);