Search Unity

Remote Settings its own service?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by coshea, Mar 29, 2018.

1. coshea

coshea

Just out of interest, why is remote settings a sub feature of Analytics? And not its own service with its own main menu button under the Operate section?

Seems to me the feature stands out on its own, particularly as a selling point for Unity cloud services. Analytics is "what are my players doing" and Remote Settings is "effect what my players can do/see"

Just my 2c

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Partly, it's just an organizational non-decision. The Analytics team made Remote Settings, so it's part of that service.

Not that it couldn't change (or that it will change), but we think these features work really well together. Analytics has historically been about collecting and analyzing data, but that is only part of the equation; you also need to be able to act on that data. That's where Remote Settings fits in.

For example, if you have a report or funnel showing a decrease in completion rate for level 5, with Remote Settings, you can make any necessary changes directly from the dashboard. And since Remote Settings uses the same underlying Segments as the Analytics system, you can adjust the values by region or time played or a custom-defined player type (hardcore, casual, etc.).

It might even be worth testing different Remote Settings to see which leads to better outcomes.