Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Remote Settings disappeared from the Dashboard

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by tessellation, Aug 22, 2021.

1. tessellation

tessellation

It used to be under Optimization section and then with the newest dashboard I think it got moved to Analytics. However I had a problem loading the website and had to reset the cookies. Now the website loads, but the Remote Settings panel is gone. How do I bring it back?

And yes, I know it's been superseded by Remote Config, but as long as the Remote Settings servers are responding to older apps, we still need to be able to edit these values from time-to-time.

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I believe Remote Settings has been deprecated.

3. tessellation

tessellation

It's been deprecated, but like I said, as long as the Remote Settings servers are responding (for older versions of apps), we still need to be able to edit these values from time-to-time. You can't remove developers abilities to edit these values as long as the values are being served to clients that are still running older versions of the software.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I don't believe that has been the plan, please see this https://forum.unity.com/threads/remote-config-vs-remote-settings.713744/#post-7420274

5. afftar

afftar

6. tessellation

tessellation

I think you're misunderstanding the response from Unity. They are not dumping it right away, you should have time to switch to Remote Config. Use the link from the Remote Settings panel in Unity Editor to modify your old settings.

7. afftar

afftar

Yes, I already found this hack, but it looks like a random lucky ditch that remains, they are just lucky that it still works. It doesn't seem like the planned way.
    In any case, it all looks like an absolutely senseless "innovation" - why create 2 services to transfer a key and a value? Such a simple thing that now creates a lot of problems for old games. It looks so stupid.
    I switched to firebase Remote Config.

8. tessellation

tessellation

To be fair to Unity, they announced the deprecation of this server a LONG time ago. I'm not sure why they created a new service either, but I believe it has something to do with the old dependency on Unity Analytics. Why they couldn't just have broken this dependency (similarly to how Unity IAP broke the dependency on UDP)? I don't know, Unity would have to answer that question.

Regardless, I too looked into using Firebase Config - I love how you can group your keys - the problem with Firebase is that it only works on iOS and Android, not Switch, PC, Mac, Xbox, etc. So if you're 100% sure that your game will stay mobile, then it's a good option, but this limitation killed it for us.