Search Unity

Remote Settings binaries

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by sebastiansgames, Aug 28, 2017.

1. sebastiansgames

sebastiansgames

Out of all the features of Unity 2017, I'm most excited about Remote Settings. If you can believe it.

Seems like a first step towards truly dynamic game dev where I can push updates to my user base elegantly and at the push of a button. I know there are asset bundles, but this is so much more user friendly from a developer perspective.

My question -- is there currently a way to push binary data via Remote Settings? The ability to push a jpeg, for instance, would allow me to set up an adhoc internal ad network where I could dynamically update in-house ads to my live player base.

There are probably limitations due to bandwidth and storage for this sort of thing, but maybe there could be a file size limit? I can think of countless ways how this could help me as a developer. Curious if it exists or if something like that could be considered?

Thank you very much!

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Could you just update the URL (a string) for the JPG location?

3. sebastiansgames

sebastiansgames

Thanks for the reply, Jeff! Yes -- that's a great solution! Thank you.

As a developer I'm lazy -- having binaries just sitting in the Remote Settings cloud UI would spare me the albeit minor hassle of uploading to my own server and keeping track of everything. Part of the reason Remote Settings appeals to me is because everything is just sitting there in one place. Easy to navigate and harder to lose track of things.

But really appreciate your insight! I'll give it a shot.