Search Unity

Remote Inspector - Easy Remote Debugging - Released 1.5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by usingtheirs, Nov 13, 2018.

1. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

What Remote Inspector is

This asset has the Remote Hierarchy and the Remote Inspector windows for a game running on a mobile device or a PC. You can edit the fields and properties without rebuilding your game! The Pro version allows you to edit material properties and shader keywords.

Features

The following video shows the basic features.

Basically, you can view the hierarchy and the components of your game running on a remote device. You can edit the fields and properties of them – both private and public ones.

Remote Inspector supports incremental search in the Remote Hierarchy and the Remote Inspector windows.

Pro Features

The following video shows the features of the Pro version.

The pro version allows you to view and edit material properties.

And the incremental search enables you to find material properties.

You can enable or disable shader keywords. As you know, enabling or disabling shader keywords makes Unity select an appropriate shader variant. If you built your APK/IPA or AssetBundles without a specific shader keyword enabled, the corresponding shader variant will not be included in your binary. Therefore enabling that shader keyword makes no effect in such a case.

Who needs this

In a large project, building an APK or an IPA takes many minutes to hours. So just adding a line of a log to your game (to print a variable’s value) can take most of your work time away. But if you build your game with this asset, you can do the following things without rebuilding your game or implementing a custom tool.

• Debugging – View the scene hierarchy and change game objects’ fields and properties without writing any code. Even private fields and properties.
    • Performance Tuning – Turn on/off game objects and components to find what drops your game’s FPS down.
    • Balancing – Tweak level data during playtests to make your game fun.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. MildaGenius2

MildaGenius2

Hello,
    thanks for very useful asset. Its perfect for checking performance issues directly on mobile devices.

Used with very large scene (20 000+ gameObject) and refresh take 2s. Thats good.

But what is missing is search in amount of gameObject. So if you can add, that will be perfect.

tonialatalo likes this.
  3. friuns3

friuns3

4. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

Hi, MildaGenius2.
    It's too late. :(
    But, Remote Inspector has the search feature, now!

5. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

6. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

Hi!

The next update of Remote Inspector (Pro) is about performance!
    I replaced the HTTP/JSON part with HTTP/ZeroFormatter.
    (I tried two more libraries to find the best one...)

And these charts show how RI got faster! more than 200%!!!

tonialatalo likes this.
  7. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

8. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

9. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

Remote Inspector 1.5 has been submitted.

https://usingtheirs.com/2021/11/20/remote-inspector-1-5/

Method Calling

You can now call methods directly from the inspector. You can call private and public methods as well as methods of the base class. It also supports ref and out arguments. No more repeating tedious builds over and over to add a single line of code.

Editor Mode & Connection Bar

You can use all the functions of Remote Inspector not only on the remote but also on the editor. You don’t need to stop a running game to add logs or execute methods. Just connect to the editor right now and check it out.

A new connection bar has been implemented to easily switch between editor and remote. Just view and click on your connection history.

Static Class Window (Pro)

Have you ever wanted to change quality settings while playing a game on the remote? Or what if you want to stop the game by setting Time.timeScale to 0? All of this is now possible in the Remote Static window. You can use it like project settings in the editor. Of course, you can also add your own classes and call methods.

Show Options

It’s hard to find if you see too many. You can now show or hide fields, properties and methods directly from the toolbar. In addition, various viewing options have been added. Use the options to view alphabetically, view by original name, view methods in base classes, and show member icons.

And More
    In addition, Remote Inspector (Pro) 1.5 includes a number of enhancements.

• Stores various Foldout states such as components, arrays, methods, etc. Once closed, it will be retained the next time as well.
    • Don’t worry if there are classes with the same name. Improved to use strong type information internally.
    • Many parts of existing code have been rewritten with the addition of static windows. That’s how much stronger it has become.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. OscarLeif

OscarLeif

Maybe we can save time if we have a button for
    Code (CSharp):
    1. adb forward tcp:8080 tcp:8080
    Or maybe we can show the command bellow the cat.

usingtheirs likes this.
  11. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

That’s a good idea!
    I’ll consider adding it in the next update.

12. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

Hi, I can't connect whether using wifi or adb. It said "a network error occurred", Web browser shows nothing.

13. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

Hi!

To connect via wifi, your computer and your device should be connected to the same network.
    And to connect via ADB, you should set up port-forwarding by using 'adb forward' command.

I wonder if you've checked these steps.

14. xiao-xxl

xiao-xxl

Yes, I have checked these steps. Still can't connect.

15. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

From now on, let's continue the conversation on Discord.

16. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

A Native Collection has not been disposed, resulting in a memory leak. Allocated from:
    Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1:.ctor(Byte[], Allocator) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Export/NativeArray/NativeArray.cs:69)
    UnityEngine.Networking.UploadHandlerRaw:.ctor(Byte[]) (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UnityWebRequest/Public/UploadHandler/UploadHandler.bindings.cs:95)
    UsingTheirs.RemoteInspector.<Post>d__2`2:MoveNext() (at D:\srcp\UnityPP\UnityPP\SourceCode\RemoteInspectorEditor\src\Net\HttpNetworkClient.cs:38)
    UsingTheirs.RemoteInspector.EditorCoroutine:EditorUpdate() (at D:\srcp\UnityPP\UnityPP\SourceCode\RemoteInspectorEditor\src\Util\EditorCoroutine.cs:42)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions() (at /Users/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:359)

17. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

Thank you, JGameMaker92.
    I’ll check this out ASAP.

18. usingtheirs

usingtheirs

I fixed the memory leak on UnityWebRequest.
    It'll be released in the next update.

Thanks, again!

JGameMaker92 likes this.
  19. unity_fny8pyew3t

unity_fny8pyew3t

So when the next update will be released?

20. jimmying

jimmying

Hi are there any known issues with Remote Inspector and Unity Cloud Build?

I get the following error during my Android builds:

Code (CSharp):
    1. clang++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    I've narrowed it down to the RemoteInspectorServer prefab -- i.e. did a cloud build with the prefab in the scene, it failed, then removed the prefab and the build succeeded.

I'm using the trial version with 2020.3.38f1. Also can't replicate locally.

21. waldgeist

waldgeist

If I try to access the documentation, it takes me to a scamming site?