Search Unity

Remote Config Scheduling Timezone Questions

Discussion in 'Unity Remote Config' started by lumos3, Apr 1, 2021.

1. lumos3

lumos3

When using the Scheduling feature of Remote Config, we can specify calendar dates for when a rule should start and end (see screenshot).

My question is, are these times localized? For example, if I set a time for 00:00 at PST, will it trigger at 00:00 for EST as well? Or 03:00 because of timezone difference?

Attached Files:

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Good question, I will check

lumos3 likes this.
  3. jacobbev

jacobbev

Unity Technologies

Hey @lumos3, thanks for reaching out. When setting the start and end date for a Rule or Campaign, all timezones are converted into the UTC timezone and players will be targeted only if at the time they request (in the UTC timezone) the rule is active.

It looks like, from your screenshot, you are using the legacy dashboard (https://app.remote-config.unity3d.com). In the legacy dashboard, all of the dates and times you enter are interpreted to be in UTC already.

If you have moved over to the new dashboard (dashboard.unity3d.com/remote-config) you will notice that Campaigns display the start and end date in your local timezone (which is then converted back to UTC when you update).

lumos3 likes this.
  4. lumos3

lumos3

@jacobbev Ah I see, I was using the legacy dashboard due to the ease of the the date picker, since at the time (literally yesterday), Unified Dashboard only allowed strings in that field, and I wanted to test different dates rapidly. I still use Unified Dashboard for setting everything else up though!

I see the campaign now, that wasn't there yesterday but it looks like a nice update! I can see the start and end dates in local time so it's a lot clearer to me. Thanks!

5. TEEBQNE

TEEBQNE

Would I be able to change the time displayed back to UTC?

6. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi TEEBQNE,
    Thanks for your feedback.
    At the moment there is no way to change it back to UTC. However the backend registers the times in UTC.

I could understand the want to bring it back to UTC for scheduling purposes around the globe, easier to read and follow. If you can give us another use case can would you mind jotting it down here?

Best
    Sebastiano

7. TEEBQNE

TEEBQNE

Hey Sebastiano,

Nope you hit the nail on the head. My game updates calendar and shop data at midnight UTC weekly/monthly. I had previously started using the old portal and did not realize the updated portal is in local time. To achieve the functionality I would like I'll need to covert my local time back to UTC. If I were to do this, when converting back would I need to account for daylights savings?

SebT_Unity likes this.
  8. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Great question TEEBQNE
    I would suggest using a search engine to find out the UTC time vs your time zone. Many websites seem to take the daylight savings into consideration depending on your region time.

I will create a feature request with an option requesting to view the UTC time as well.
    Thanks again for your feedback, these help improve our products.

Best,
    Seb

TEEBQNE likes this.
  9. TEEBQNE

TEEBQNE

I am attempting to edit the times of my campaigns but none of my edits are saving. When I click on the dates, it specifies that there is 'No Date' even though prior to editing, there is a date provided. I set the proper conversion from the last date/time to one that is converted from my goal time in UTC to my local timezone. When I hit save it converts it back to the time I had prior. I also noticed, when I select a specific date and time, the provided time in the preview does not match what I select.

I attached a gif of what I mean. Am I editing the time incorrectly?

Edit: Making these changes in the editor wizard allows them to be saved. Editing in quick edit appears to be the issue.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    SebT_Unity likes this.
  10. SebT_Unity

SebT_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi TEEBQNE,

Thanks for reporting that!
    I was able to reproduce the issue locally and will report this to our engineering team.

Best,

Seb

TEEBQNE likes this.