Search Unity

Bug Remote Addressable bundles don't appear in new app builds

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by apiotuch_unity, Oct 27, 2020.

1. apiotuch_unity

apiotuch_unity

I am wondering what I need to do to have a new app build still be able to pull existing addressable bundles from a remote server. I basically have an app that pulls content down from a cloud server. That seems to be ok, I am able to upload content, update the content, add new content in the form of addressable assets. The app is able to pull the addressable assets down and display them on screen. However, when I update the app, it no longer receives any addressable bundles. Am I don't something wrong? Am I missing something? The app itself will be updated periodically, so I am hoping that any existing addressable bundles (prefabs) don't require a complete rebuild of each addressable bundle. I am hoping to just keep adding content, and all app versions are able to pull the content (pending no script changes obviously).

what I want:
    I make a prefab of a cube, make it addressable, and upload it to the server.
    Version 1 of app can download it. Version 2, can download it as well. Version 3 can also download it. No changes to the prefab have occurred.

What is happening:
    I make a prefab of a cube, make it addressable, and upload it to the server.
    Version 1 can download it. Version 2 and 3 do not download it.
    No changes to the prefab have occurred.

Also, when I try it in editor, it seems to download from the remote server and appears on screen. When I build, it does not.

Update:
    After viewing the debug log on an android device, I saw that the app was unable to access the content from the server. This exception occurs:
    Exception encountered in operation Dependencies
    status=Failed, result= : Dependency Exception

However, the editor is able to access the remote content. On my CDN, the content is public and folders are marked as public. So I do not know why the content cannot be downloaded anymore via the device.

On the device, I set the permissions for the app to allow for Storage.
    It was working before, and now it is not, no matter how many times I make a new build, update previous build, or clear and build using default build script again.

In the editor it is set to use existing build (requires built groups)
    Am I wrong in assuming the content is retrieved from the remote CDN when testing it in the editor?

Update:
    now I also get this exception, I referenced a new material instead of the default lit material.
    Exception encountered in operation Resource<IAssetBundleResource>(<mybundle>)
    status=Failed, result=System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.ResourceManagement.AsyncOperations.AsyncOperationHandle] : RemoteAssetBundleProvider unable to load from url <my url>, result='Cannot resolve destination host'

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. apiotuch_unity

apiotuch_unity

I wonder, do I need to have encryption set up with the remote for testing?

3. apiotuch_unity

apiotuch_unity

I don't know what I did now that got it working, but I did notice after going into Profiles Manager and selecting my profile, that my RemoteLoadPath was reset to localhost, even though in the group inspector, it showed RemoteLoadPath was my CDN endpoint. I set it again in the profile manager, just to be safe. After a build my content started appearing again.
    Seems like something with the paths under the hood is getting reset, or out of phase with the UI. I am using Addressables 1.16.7. I had upgraded from 1.8.4. Maybe something went is not getting set dirty? But it only seemed to change (or at least appear in the UI) after 3 days of troubleshooting. I upgraded 3 days ago.