Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official REMINDER - Legacy Unity Analytics Dashboard is shutting down

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by clarec_unity, May 30, 2023.

1. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

The Legacy Unity Analytics dashboard is shutting down.

As of June 27, 2023, the Legacy Unity Analytics tool included with Unity Plus, Unity Pro, and Unity Enterprise subscriptions, and accessed from within the Unity Editor, are being closed. This functionality is being replaced by Unity Gaming Services (UGS) Analytics, launched in June 2022.

I currently use Legacy Unity Analytics, what does this mean for me?

As of June 27, 2023, you will no longer be able to use the Legacy Unity Analytics dashboard. Basic events will automatically be available within the Unity Dashboard. You can sign up and log in to access this data.
    If you are making use of custom events you can refer to the upgrade guide to transition your custom events to UGS Analytics.

UGS Analytics includes a free tier and a paid tier for high-consumption projects. While events emitted from Legacy Unity Analytics will not be billed in the tiering system, events emitted by the UGS Analytics SDK will be billable if they exceed the free tier. For more information please see our FAQ.

I currently use Remote Settings, will I also be impacted?

Remote Settings will no longer be available to use from the dashboard and Settings will not be delivered to the game client. Customers using Remote Settings are asked to upgrade to Remote Config instead of using this migration guide.

For more information on the migration, to find our migration guide, read our FAQ. You can also reach out to Unity customer support if you have any other questions or concerns about this migration.

2. Aranhawebs

Aranhawebs

It would be good to have the features that are only available on the Legacy on the new one before the Shutdown.
    Aggregation of event parameter values (sum, avg, max, min, median) and Annotations are some examples.

3. sri_mad

sri_mad

How do we export Analytic data using new version of Analytics. I dont see Raw Data Export

4. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

@Aranhawebs We're working on delivering the parameter aggregations and similar reporting capabilities in the near future. In the meantime, these use cases should be achievable via the SQL Data Explorer tool we offer. This best practices article covers analysing event parameter values and customizing their aggregations.

@sri_mad Exporting raw data in UGS Analytics is achievable via the Data Access tool where you can connect your own Snowflake instance and all your data will be transferred there.

Hope this helps you both!

5. masak

masak

What will Remote Settings return as an response after June 27?
    Do I have to upgrade my games which using Remote Settings to avoid any error?

6. mzr

mzr

I never got any email about disabling remote settings (or unity analytics).
    Now 7 days before the end date I'm getting a "reminder" about that.
    That doesn't seem reasonable at all.
    I'd understand if I couldn't access/change remote settings, but players not being able to get the values I have set up there is ridiculous.
    That basically means that if I want to keep the current game state I have to update the game within 7 days (and get it reviewed).

7. mforrest44

mforrest44

Unity Technologies

Hey Masak/MZR,

Thanks for voicing your concerns and I'm sorry to hear the sunsetting comms never made it to you, mzr.

Here are some additional details which should hopefully provide some relief:

Even though access to the dashboard will be disabled on June 27th your applications will still be able to retrieve their configuration from Remote Settings afterwards for a period of time. During that period, we will be monitoring usage in order to inform a timeline for full deprecation of Remote Settings. You can expect a timely and more specific communication to confirm the time at which the data will no longer be served to applications by Remote Settings.

For now, my best advice is to migrate over to Remote Config using this guide. If you have any questions at all about the process please don't hesitate to get in touch - myself and the team are here to help as best we can.

Thanks,

Mike

bcamus, clarec_unity and masak like this.
  8. mzr

mzr

Thanks for the update, that's great to hear!

clarec_unity likes this.
  9. Arkuni

Arkuni

Does this mean that the following will no longer have an effect?

Analytics.enabled = value;
    Analytics.limitUserTracking = value;
    Analytics.deviceStatsEnabled = value;

I am struggling to find out the difference between UnityEngine.Analytics and UnityEngine.Services.Analytics namespaces. It sounds like the first one is related to the legacy unity analytics, but I can't find any word on it.

10. unity_Ctri

unity_Ctri

Unity Technologies

Hey Arkuni,

the `Analytics.` stuff all relates to Legacy Analytics, and it will continue to impact games that already use Legacy Analytics for event collection.

the `Services.Analytics` namespace is for its replacement.

The settings you list will continue to have an effect, the Legacy Analytics back end still accepts events from existing games, but the only way to interpret and view that data is now through the more modern dashboard sections.

Hope that clears things up!

11. fcloss

fcloss

@mforrest44 my app strongly depends on Remote Settings and, in one month or so, we will release the new version with the RemoteConfig. But, from today, I can't access the Legacy Settings to export the csv file of the Remote Settings, as explained here: https://docs.unity.com/remote-config/en/manual/RemoteSettingsMigration

Any chance I could get it? Can I sleep in peace with the fact that the current installations of my app will continue to receive the correct information from the Remote Settings calls? I am kind of freaking out because I can't access the Legay Analytics on the UGS dashboard. I would be good to, at least, to have access to the Remote Settings until a, very carefully chosen, service shutdown.

Thanks.
    Fernando

12. Arkuni

Arkuni

Hey Ctri,

Cheers. That helped a bit. Am I right in saying that Analytics.enabled and Analytics.limitUserTracking and Analytics.deviceStatsEnabled will not have any effect when using the new analytics package?

Is there a replacement for limitUserTracking in the new analytics system?

13. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

I wanted to provide a brief update regarding the discontinuation of both the Remote Settings and Raw Data Export API. As of August 31, 2023, these APIs will no longer be available. For more details, please refer to the most recent post.

Thanks,
    Clare

14. mas3701

mas3701

How can I find out what we "had" the Remote Services variables set to? Is there anyway, I can see in a dashboard what values were being set to remote variables?

15. bcamus

bcamus

Unity Technologies

16. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

If we are not using the legacy analytics directly. I think we submit data because of the IAP library does. Do we need to upgrade? We never look at the data as we have another analytics system.
    Will the old library continue to just silently fail? Or is it going to start crashing existing games?

Thanks

SoerenL likes this.
  17. Khokhlenkov

Khokhlenkov

Can you please help me with removing data collection from my game? (in Unity 2021). I have already removed analytics package and advertisement package. What should I do to prevent Legacy analytics to send any data to unity3d.com? Is it enough to create a script with this code in the Awake method:

UnityEngine.Analytics.Analytics.initializeOnStartup = false;
    UnityEngine.Analytics.Analytics.enabled = false;
    UnityEngine.Analytics.Analytics.deviceStatsEnabled = false;
    UnityEngine.Analytics.Analytics.limitUserTracking = true;

And put it on top of the execution order?

18. SoerenL

SoerenL

I have the same question as daxiongmao: I only activated (legacy) analytics because it was a requirement in order to use in app purchasing. I don’t use analytics for anything beyond that. Will my apps start crashing in the near future, if I don’t upgrade to new analytics ?

daxiongmao likes this.
  19. clarec_unity

clarec_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We don't expect your game to crash when the service is discontinued, it should continue to operate as it does today with the only difference being that you won't be able to view your data in Unity Gaming Services.

Thanks,
    Clare

SoerenL and daxiongmao like this.