Search Unity

Remapping of keyboard keys on the fly?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by csciguy, Dec 21, 2006.

1. csciguy

csciguy

I've done a few searches, but can't find a definite answer on this. Maybe someone here can help me.

I have a series of keys that are defined in a game, such as Forward, Backward, Left, Right, etc. These are mapped to W,A,S,D by default. I am looking to allow a user to map any key on the keyboard to these actions through a menu system. Basically I want to remap the keyboard in game, via a menu system instead of when the game starts (before it actually launches). Is this possible?

Example:

Everytime I press W, the user moves forward. The user brings up options and wants to map Forward to 'R'. How would I do this with some sort of Input function (Input.GetButton ???) when I don't know the button name of the key the user has pressed?

I have the facility for a user to input a key (it's through a menu) but I don't know what Input function to use to capture this keystroke.

Thanks.

2. Der Dude

Der Dude

3. StarManta

StarManta

The only way to do this (as of now) is to bypass the included button settings entirely. I do this in Botbuilder, but only because its controls are so nonstandard that attempting to fit them into the standard mold would be an exercise in futility. In general, it's not a good idea.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Typically, using the built-in method for redefining controls when you launch the game should be enough anyway. (Although I think Windows builds still don't have this?)

--Eric

5. Der Dude

Der Dude

I believe redefining the controls is something quite essential to any good game. Or at least a great commodity.

What I dont understand is why exposing the input settings would be an issue in the first place.

6. freyr

freyr

There is no issue (as in a technical hurdle) as far as I know. The only issue is that it actually needs to be done by some of OTEE's developers. Features don't just show up by themselves. :)

7. Der Dude

Der Dude

You should work on that! =)