Search Unity

Remaking a game, to probably finish it.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SolAZDev, Nov 27, 2013.

1. SolAZDev

SolAZDev

Um this is most probably my first post in the forums so hello ^^;

Um, I'm trying to remake a game I had (sort of) done in RPG Maker XP, and I already got to make the base map from the demo really quickly (1.5hrs) and I love it. I find it funny how It took me a long time (almost 3 months or so) to make the demo of the game, and made the base (with some details) in here so quickly, so It's possible that I won't be going back to RM for this game. However the competition in my head is against UDK which is good but made for shooters (mostly) and have to learn a new language. So, since I plan to make this game commercial, I intend to keep Unity <3 (also the Asset Store Pwns Unreal) But... Here is where things get /dandy/; The game I want to make is in general, long (it is the first book of my story which is 3 years in length on real time) and it has it's base features;

• It's an RPG
    • It's Open World (Sort of)
    • The game has a list of characters
    • and most of them are playable but in Party system.
    • :: Real Time Battle System ::
    • :: Can Change Party Leader anywhere anytime ::
    • :: Can Change Party Members :: (Like FF7 and .hack)
    • :: Has a Rage/Limit-style system ::

So, I am having some difficulties where to start, as for the Level design, I constantly keep going around and making stuff (just as happy~) I am currently making some assets myself as soon as I get the main road of the first level done.

I noticed that there are some RPG Kits but I was wondering which one was best for these base features (There's more actually)
    I was looking at UniRPG but It never says anything about having a party unlike ORK which does have a party and more than one Combat System (Which I love actually)

I also plan (or at least would like to) release the game for Mobile (that's the original target in the XP version) and PC/Mac/Linux, Consoles are really just optional (if I happen to be able to)

Any recommendations?

PS :: If you wish to try out the XP Version to have an Idea of what I'm looking for it's over here ::
    https://bitbucket.org/LordSolrac/thelords-v5-rmxp-version/downloads

2. SevenBits

SevenBits

Recommendations regarding what?

3. SolAZDev

SolAZDev

On which Toolkit/Framework.

4. drewradley

drewradley

Okashi Role Playing kit.

5. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

You are setting yourself up for failure. Consider reading this post, before you go further.
    Gigi

6. SolAZDev

SolAZDev

I already knew it was possible and how to do it, I didn't say it but I was looking for which was easier. And curious, is this a callange to make the same demo in 12 weeks? ?.?

7. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Its a challenge to complete a game in 12 weeks. Small and manageable is the key.

8. Paparakas

Paparakas

I think I agree with geegeewoo. I'm an amateur myself but there's most likely a very high chance that you'll never actually finish this let alone get it to a feasible standard for making it commercial. Sorry if that sounds mean or pessimistic but I'm simply extrapolating from experience here. Either way, you're probably not going to listen anyways so if you do decide to carry it out, be VERY considerate of the scope of the project and what exactly each feature you're planning would entail. Otherwise you're just going to eventually either hit a block or experience some very steep progress and then either quit or fall into the pit of perpetually moving on to different projects and never actually finishing anything.

9. SolAZDev

SolAZDev

The story is not small :/ It's an entire book, however I already have made it into a game back few years ago. But this is a re-remake.

I agree already that it's difficult, but I already have experience with making games, never published them into a market thought, but I have distributed them in public. However, the features were already done in a previous engine (in an old attempt, before the local release of the old version). Despite it sounds difficult, I would to hit a block, that way I can learn from mistakes. As for the scope, this is actually the reason I haven't gotten into any of my classes/courses at my university yet, because the development *will* be longer than 12 weeks or a Trimester (basically the same)

At any case, I am still doing "Practice Progress" since I came from "Student" UDK, I don't have experience with importing and managing some assets, but I already have made some. Thus, I met a professor who also prefers using Unity instead and is offering for help.

10. voltage

voltage

First of all, congrats for migrating to Unity! I myself came from an Rpgmaker background. Sure enough, you've already found that developing in a serious engine is extensive work. It's wonderful to dream, but as GiGi already said, condense your work or you will fail. Although you've constructed a game within RM, Unity won't be nearly as easy. If you're ever in a fix, other than the forums, I suggest the guys at 3dbuzz. They helped lay out the foundations of my developing process to this day.