Search Unity

Feature Request Reload EditorWindow when associated UXML has changed ?

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by aybeone, Jan 2, 2019.

1. aybeone

aybeone

Currently, when using UXML I need to do the following to see changes made to the UXML file:
    • edit and save UXML
    • close and open the window to see the changes
    Can't Unity spot UXML has changed and reload the window ?

(the tree is loaded in OnEnable)

2. uDamian

uDamian

Unity Technologies

This is a regression. We should have a fix soon. UXML (and USS) reloading should/will work.

3. aybeone

aybeone

Great :)

4. BusStopStudios

BusStopStudios

Do we have an update on this?

5. Tom-Atom

Tom-Atom

Hi, I am solving it like this: add new menu item into upper-right menu dropdown like this (you have to implement IHasCustomMenu for your editor window):

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void AddItemsToMenu(GenericMenu menu) {
    2.         menu.AddItem(new GUIContent("Refresh"), false, RefreshEditorLayout);
    3.     }
    Then implement your RefreshEditorLayout method. In mine, I am rebuilding visual tree.
    When you edit UXML, you can then click Refresh menu item and it will refresh your editor window. It is not as parfect as it would if Unity detected changes itself, but it is much better than closing and openning editor window.

RefreshInMenu.png

6. BusStopStudios

BusStopStudios

I did this, it works for now, so after I make changes I just hit F9

Code (CSharp):
    1.     static CustomWindow _window = null;
    3.     [MenuItem("Window/Custom Editor")]
    4.     [Shortcut("Refresh Window",  KeyCode.F9)]
    5.     public static void ShowWindow()
    6.     {
    7.         if (_window) _window.Close();
    9.         _window = GetWindow<CustomWindow>();
    10.         _window.titleContent = new GUIContent("CustomWindow");
    11.     }

7. brunordeangelis

brunordeangelis

I reckon this hasn't been fixed yet, am I right? Saving changes to .uxml file does not auto reload the editor window. So far @BusStopStudios solution works well, but I was hoping to get native functionality.

Thanks

8. HugoBD-Unity

HugoBD-Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @brunordeangelis!

Hot reload of EditorWindows when .uxml and .uss change should be working. Which version of Unity are you using?

9. pajamajama

pajamajama

@hugobd
    doesn't seem to be working in 2019.4.9f1

10. JuliaP_Unity

JuliaP_Unity

Unity Technologies

Live Reload of Editor Windows only work for 2020.2, unfortunately.
    You can turn it on through the menu on the upper right side, look for "Live Reload" at the end of the list, just above the "UI Toolkit Debugger".

Editing to add that if you save the files to disk, it should be working on 2019 and 2020.1.

11. Grahammmm

Grahammmm

Could you be more specific on where to find this setting? I don't see it in 2020.1 and my windows are not refreshing even with a save. Thanks.

12. JuliaP_Unity

JuliaP_Unity

Unity Technologies

This setting is only available with Unity 2020.2 using the UI Toolkit package, so you won't see it on 2020.1 indeed.

I just ran a quick test here with Unity 2020.1.6f1, saving UXML and USS file modifications caused my editor window to reload and show the new values. What version of Unity are you on, specifically? And is there anything particular about your editor window that pops to your mind and could interfere with this? If you can share some examples we can take a look, but I would suggest trying out a simple example (like creating an editor window through Create > UI Toolkit > Editor Window on your Project View) which is what I just tested here and works, and see if anything you added could have created an issue.

13. Grahammmm

Grahammmm

Thanks for helping me out with this. I created a new project in 2020.1.6f1 and used the Editor Window option you suggested. With the window open, I added a label and changed the color of another one. I seem to be all saved up. Here is the result.

Attached Files: