Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

That did the trick, thank you. =)

2. ittinop

ittinop

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your great asset!!
    I am having an issue with the terrain turning white whenever I save the scene or run the game. After clicking on the terrain or pausing the game, the terrain will turn normal. However it is quite annoying to have to do this every time I do ctrl-S or run the game. Is there any quick fix to this issue? Did I miss something in the manual?
    There are two terrains on the scene, each attached to different empty gameobject. Only one terrain has relief terrain script attached.

Best

upload_2015-11-8_19-47-20.png

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm aware about the issue, but couldn't effectively solve this problem yet (terrain shading is a bit closed black box).

4. Elzean

Elzean

i started using Uber and i already use RTP for my terrain (by the way thanks for the discount price). Now i'm noticing this kind of problem on the terrain :

upload_2015-11-12_17-49-12.png

now if i turn the camera to the right the terrain have normal color :
    upload_2015-11-12_17-50-12.png

So depending on where i look it change my terrain color/shading (didnt notice this before).

I am using deferred + linear, i have the shader set for deferred in Settings > Graphics and i have a script for translucency on the camera.

Do you know what could cause this ?

Thanks!

5. Elzean

Elzean

here is another screen of the problem, the dark line area shouldnt appear :

upload_2015-11-12_17-56-8.png

6. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Looks to me like it has something to do with height mapping, though I may be wrong.

7. Elzean

Elzean

Another detail is i don't see this problem within the scene view, only in Game view.

8. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Ok, I have no idea then, sorry. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come to your aid soon =)

9. Elzean

Elzean

Hope so! But thanks for your interest!

Mr-Logan likes this.
  10. Unityaware

Unityaware

Hi Tom, I need some advice please: I amusing Unity5.1, Installed RTP 3.2, but when I go under 'Settings', 'Main' and try to change the tile size it shows no effect, there is no bump either and changing specular settings etc has no effect, despite recompiling and refreshing. Do you have an idea of what I might be missing? I have been using it in the past, but never had these issues.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  11. tomaszek

tomaszek

Try to clear the material in Unity terrain settings. Then reselact terrain (with RTP component applied).

Check your heightmaps (actually all combined in RTP/Combined textures). They are supposed to be correctly setup. Can you check this in forward or w/o dedicated RTP deferred lighting shader (using built-in Unity) ?

Tom

12. Unityaware

Unityaware

I upgraded Uniti to 5.2, unistalled RTP, reinstalled, nNo textures in Unity terrain, then installed one texture at a time, still no tile size option, or other options as mentioned before. None of the 'Main Settings' show up when edited.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  13. Elzean

Elzean

I have a texture set within the combine texture of the heightmap for my terrain. With the built-in shader the problem does not appear, so i should keep the built in one ? Some f the stuff from RTP / UBER might not work or will i have any troubles not using the custom one ?

14. Unityaware

Unityaware

Hmm. This problem doesn't seem to go away and seems to be unique for my setup. Any last suggestions? If not I will try to start a new project, import all the assets required, then follow your video tutorial step by step to see if it will work. OK, this will take a long time and I appreciate that you must be a very busy man. RTP is such a brilliant asset, I've used in every singel app. Wouldn't know what to do without it. So - thank you.

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

Custom one handles POM self-shadows in RTP and POM self-shadows+translucnecy in UBER. I'll try to comeup with update of both soon, so maybe this will help you.

add 4 layers to terrain before you attach RTP component. Then recompile shaders in LOD amnager. Nothing shown in RTP?Settigns main - do you have any concole output (errors) ? That might suggest some exception error occured and you can access tiling then.

Tom

16. Elzean

Elzean

Thanks a lot, would love to have the translucency :)

17. tomaszek

tomaszek

Translucency will have output only from UBER shaders.

18. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

19. GCatz

GCatz

Is it possible to move the terrain (in world space) without keeping the tile texture in place ?

20. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Really interesting effects. Very curious how you did that :)

21. Ralack

Ralack

First off, I just bought RTP and UBER this month. Love them both. Thanks for your efforts.

I have an artifact I cannot seem to figure out how to fix. Anywhere my textures blend I get "rows" running across the blend. Is there a setting in RTP I have overlooked or perhaps I need to do more work on the normal /height maps of my textures?

Edit: I am using TC with a basic Height/Slope blend to generate the splat maps btw. Adding a random noise layer helped (The breaks in the lines are a noise layer on top of the basic layers). I could continue layering random splats that are constrained to the areas where this shows up, but it feels like I have missed some fundamental detail I need to correct.

Thanks,
    Jason RTP_Texture_Question.PNG

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  22. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

What specifically? Gaia was used for terrain sculpting and some of the splat mapping. Still got to get to grips with the procedural splat map system ;)

I think I'll do a full post sometime explaining the workflow for proper RTP, Gaia and UBER shader integration.

EDIT: some more progress:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi, I don't think it is related to some RTP setting, it's reather what you feed my shaders with. I mean textures. These stripes must come from detail heightmaps combinated with specific coverage level balance between them. Could you manually remove stripes painting on the terrain with either sand or grass ?

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not really. What would you like to achieve ? Anyway global maps are always spanned over whole terrain. Detail textures are mapped in world space with offset of terrain as far as I remember (but maybe I don't remember it right out of my head now).

Tom

25. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I just activated snow and it resulted in the following error. Now, snow has clearly been activated as I can see it, but the error persists on the shader file's inspector view.
    Can I do something about it?

upload_2015-11-14_22-22-33.png

26. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

Thomas, would you be OK with me doing some sort of series for beginners with RTP and the other tools I am using in my game? I love writing tutorials and might want to do something on this subject.

27. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Having deactivated the snow again (afair) I tried activating tesselation
    upload_2015-11-15_0-1-28.png

Then this happened:
    upload_2015-11-15_0-0-41.png

That may look alright'ish, except that the textures actually never reveal them selves as I go closer, it just continues looking like the colourmap.

I've deactivated tesselation again, played around with settings but it seems that something has broken inside RTP. I can't change the perlin any more for example, despite being able to se the effects of it.

Am I doing something really really stupid here? xD

28. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Just to show what I actually mean. Here's a close up.
    upload_2015-11-15_1-27-52.png

as you can see it's only colour, and no texture.

29. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I just quickly threw a different terrain together, added the RTP script to it and it instantly lost all textures too, so it seems it's the shader (not that I really doubted it, but doesn't hurt to check)

30. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Ok, apparently something I did must have set my version to dx9 (possibly one of the complete projects I got from the asset store), it's usually on dx11 but setting it back to dx11 fixed the texture problem. Sorry for the inconvenience =)

31. Ralack

Ralack

You were correct Tom. I pulled those two textures back into Bitmap2Material and they both had rather large dark areas on the height maps I missed that were causing the repeating splat. I balanced them out and they are blending nicely now.

Thanks for the pointer in the right direction.

Attached Files:

32. tomaszek

tomaszek

You've got my blessings ! :).

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

When you're editor is working in DX9 mode (or you simply don't have DX11 GPU or you're still on ol' good WinXP) and you compile shaders for DX11 only you'll see nothing (or something like no textures). In DX9 mode temp registers might be exceeded and I can't help. Unity moved to Microsft's HLSL compiler for DX9 (in Unity4 it was Cg) and it compiles to fiferent code which handles temp registers different way. Asked Unity - thay can't do anything now as well. So the only solution is to decrease features for DX9 or go for DX11 alone...

34. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Hi everyone, i need help.
    Its all white, i tried to recompiled it and still the same.
    RTP V3 problem.png

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

Check if you've got material assigned to _Unity_ terrain settings. If so, clear it and reselct terrain with RTP object. Also make sure you've got your platform enabled before you compile.

Tom

36. MJQStudioWorks

MJQStudioWorks

Its still the same, Even if i clear the 'Custom Material' and compile it again.
    The platform is PC/DX9. RTP V3 problem.png

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'd need more info about your setup. Have you followed first steps video ? (add terrain with 4/8 layers) + RTP component, LOD manager, recompile shaders and so on. Basically give me your setup (LOD manager settings, your scene settings like lighting, how the terrain looks like, number of layers) and so on.

Then I could try to figure out what's wrong.

Tom

P.S. One more thing isn't your terrain just overbrighten (try to diminish light intensity) while it uses bright textures (and is in gamma instead of linear). Also can you check my example scene ?

38. mk1978

mk1978

I have been using RTP when creating a golf course model in Unity. Anyway, now I would like to try modeling only single fairway model. When doing this I would like that only certain part of square terrain would be visible. Do you think that it would be possible to paint transparency to the terrain with help of RTP, see example below?

I actually asked some help already in Unity forum and there was suggestion to use vignetting, but I am just a hobbyist with Unity and it got too complicated for me. Therefore, I would like to know if this kind of effect could be achieved with the help of RTP because I am already using it and mesh blending and hole cutting seem to have similar kind of functionalities already.

Link to my earlier discussion about the matter.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/technique-to-blur-the-background.352454/#post-2283177

39. tomaszek

tomaszek

The only place I use transparency in RTP is geom blend, but is intended to work different way. Simple mesh shader is alpha blended with underlying mesh which mimic terrain placed below. Holes cut is alpha-cut, not alpha blend. I believe that you could try to export your terrain to mesh, optimize it in external modelling software (to to keep it in 65k vertices bounds) and use RTP component on such mesh. Is such case you'll be able to make it more optimal - removing mesh aprts that are actually invisible. Separate problem is border of such terrain chunk - as I see you'd like to have it alpha blended. I guess you could use mask from alpha channel of RTP global colormap. (without holes enabled in LOD manager) and use it for alpha blending. This would require tweaking shader code, but wouldn't be complex, like 2-3 lines of code I forsee here. However I can't tell for sure before doing it myself.

Tom

40. Recon03

Recon03

Be sure to link them, some where so people who never used it know where to find them.. I know RTP. but others may like it, and want to be able to find them easily.. Cheers,

41. Killersan

Killersan

Hello Tomasz. I'm proud that You made such great product, which is so appreciate from so many. Great minds meets in Central Europe :) but to the point....
    I have same issue, I've created new project only with RTP:
    Unity: 5.2.0f3, RTP: 3.2i
    I just used Your GUI prepared in Your demo scene and this effect only appears in CLASSIC presets.
    I will need to use it sometimes for performance reasons, because rest of the shadows takes too much performance impact on low end computers and I want that my game would be playable for wide range of hardware.
    upload_2015-11-19_20-31-28.png

Do You have any clue what can be wrong ?

Edit: Ok, I read Your posts from page 77 and 78 and I know that You won't support classic anymore. I have same motives and the other guy which aiming not only good hardware but the low end too, so I'll use Your advice how to disable RTP, still disabling is possible only in runtime and those GUI Classic option was a great solution for me :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  42. kloogens

kloogens

I've gotten the geometry blending to work before, now its flicking between black and the correct blending values. It appears that the Copy of the original mesh and the child blend mesh are z fighting. If I turn off the child mesh the blend disappears and the z fighting stops, however I'm left with a black gradation where the blend should be. I haven't seen this before, and I've been messing around with the LOD manager settings and tried just about every Geometry Blend shader in the relief pack. I attached a image that might help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

flicker.jpg

Okay figured it out.
    I remove static batching from the troubling objects. I believe that fixed it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  43. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks Tom for your answer! I am not sure if the kind of nice blending would be needed, even though it would be really cool to have this kind of effect. Unfortunately when people mention tweaking code I usually raise my hands, because it usually gets too complicated. Also, I assume that there are no other people needing this kind of functionality so it doesn't make sense to develop RTP in this sense.

I will try to get around this with other means also. I will check how does it look if I just use Terrain Composer and lower the terrain (green part) as much as possible below the golf course terrain. Anyway, I would assume that it will not look nice at all.

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

Idea of lowering might be the point for then. Place all parts of terrain then need to be cut at flat zero level. Then place a simple quad that will cover it. If the color of quad would fit the skybox - it should look like you need to - like 3 separate islands (on the "ocean of quad") of terrain.

Tom

45. Curunir

Curunir

Hello Tom!
    I have the problem with mesh blending. What's happend? Why blend texture is so bright? Where can I change this option? I've done everything by your tutorial(
    With lighting:

Without:

Here all my settings:

46. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks again Tom for comments, I never thought about adding quad to cover the rest of the terrain.

One more question, because if I have understand correct you have been involved in developing HorizonON Asset. Do you think that it would help me with blending terrain/geometry with skybox? I am still having problems to understand how that product works.

47. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, HorizON is good addition to RTP. Simply put RTP terrain at the center and put HorizonON objects around. Special kind of object (think of "frisbo disk" mesh can blend its borders with skybox so then transiition between sky and horizon is seamless. The same for transition between horizon object and terrain - there is blending border in the center where you place your terrain.

Missing IMGs ?

48. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

49. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi, first you're not supposed to manage basemap distance manually. It's up to RTP to handle it. 2nd - in deferred 4+4 mode doesn't work anymore. You need to compile shaders to use 8 layers pass in new deferred.

Tom

50. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

I know that RTP handle it ) I used it for showing my problem. But your second recommendation to use 8 layer in one pass - decided my problem. I tried all option, but don`t 8 layer in one pass))) Sorry for disturbing.