Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. KnifeMedia

KnifeMedia

1. Create a new terrain in the same level hierarchy as the others
    2. Add the RTP script

That's it. The perlin noise will not render unless the terrain is treated separately as above.

2. gecko

gecko

Ah, thanks!

So our game scenes with RTP terrains are running pretty slowly on mid-range hardware (like MacBook with Nvidia Geforce GT 650M), and I'm trying to figure out how to optimize them. (They run much faster with standard Unity terrain, pre-RTP.) I've got a single 2000x2000 terrain in the scene, with 8 splats (NOT in 8-layer mode, to prevent that problem with blurred splats). No water or snow, no specularity. Forward rendering on these lower quality levels. Just a single directional light in the scene. You said that SIMPLE isn't much faster than my current settings for PM....but is there anything else I can do (besides creating an alternate terrain with only 4 splats) to optimize it for slower hardware? Attached are my LOD settings. I care mostly about the splat heightmap/displacement blending, and would hate to lose that by using CLASSIC mode.)

thanks!
    Dave

Attached Files:

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP shader introduces new features comparing to Unity Terrain shader so no wonder it's slower. What cost the most in your case is probably triplanar on first pass. You can also try to use "no detail color at far distance" next to global colormap checkbox. Should make it a bit faster.More than that - 4 layers for low end GPUs. You also need to profile carefully your whole scene. Shadows (not RTP related), trees, foliage introduces often a lot more load than RTP and it might be the case that you're still trying to squeeze a few GPU cycles extra on RTP while real saving could be somewhere else.

Tom

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

What I've done right now:

1. Import RTP 3.2i
    2. open example scene
    3. added new terrain
    4. added 8 layers to new terrain (they need to be consistent across the settings holder (inside the same parent group)
    5. added RTP component to new terrain

perlin normal is rendered and everything works for me.

Tom

P.S. Done on Unity5.2.0f3

5. gecko

gecko

Thanks! Yeah, shadows and foliage definitely have an impact, but we adjust those separately. May have to go to 4-splats.

Is it possible to toggle Triplaner off during gameplay? Seems not, since it requires recompiling the shaders, doesn't it?

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

you would need 2 shaders. After LOD manager recompilation you can open 1st pass ReliefTerrain-FirstPass.shader with "show generated code" (or show compiled shader". Copy contents into other shader file and alternate them during gameplay. Of course it's a hack and you need to take care about differences from the point of view of RTP script component that relies on one setup at once.

Tom

7. zmaxz

zmaxz

hi~
    I have 4(or more) different terrains in my scene , every single terrain need different textures(4 or 8),
    I have tried but can`t work .
    How can i do with "RTP" ?

THX~

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

With mixed textures number (4 or 8) you have a chance only in 4+4 mode (with first pass and add pass). So for 8 layers you can't use deferred (which doesn't like 4+4). To have separate setup on each terrain you need to group them placing every terrain into separate transform parent before adding RTP component.

Tom

9. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

If it's any consolation, I have confirmed that the baking issues I was facing are indeed the result of a bug with Enlighten, and not due to RTP shaders. I apologize for jumping the gun.

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

That's bringing relief. I guess U5.2 came with some bug fixes to Enlighten as I saw on release notes.
    Well, I don't mean either to shoot anybody for bugs in software - develop in peace then and let God bless you and your terrain objects.

Tom

AdamGoodrich and buttmatrix like this.
  11. MS80

MS80

Hi Tom!

Is there any way to adjust the "near distance start" maximum value? The limit of 50 for "distance start" is not high enough for me, I would like to have values like 100 or 200.

I need it for a top down scene and want to have high detail on the terrain. If my camera is higher than 50 units the terrain detail gets lost

Is there a reason why you limited the maximum near value it to 50? Maybe you see a better way to achieve high detail terrain at far distances (100-200 units)?

12. Loishtc

Loishtc

Select your terrain -> go to RTP component attached to the terrain -> Go to Settings>Main -> There is "Near Distance Values" with options.

Attached Files:

13. crypt0

crypt0

Hi,

after unity update to 5.2.1 I get this error message:

Maximum number (128) of shader keywords exceeded, keyword RTP_POM_SHADING_LO will be ignored.
    You will have to delete some shaders or make them use less keywords.
    Keywords used in project now: AFS_COLOR_AMBIENT AFS_GRADIENT_AMBIENT AFS_SH_AMBIENT BILLBOARD_FACE_CAMERA_POS DIRECTIONAL DIRECTIONAL_COOKIE DIRECTSPEC_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON EFFECT_BUMP EFFECT_HUE_VARIATION ENABLE_LOD_FADE FOG_EXP FOG_EXP2 FOG_LINEAR GEOM_TYPE_BRANCH GEOM_TYPE_BRANCH_DETAIL GEOM_TYPE_FROND GEOM_TYPE_LEAF GEOM_TYPE_MESH GLOBAL_COLORING GLOBAL_COLORING_OFF HDR_LIGHT_PREPASS_OFF HDR_LIGHT_PREPASS_ON HIGH_PRECISION_DEPTHMAP_OFF HIGH_PRECISION_DEPTHMAP_ON IBLSPEC_OFF IBL_DIFFUSE IBL_DIFFUSE_OFF IBL_SPEC IBL_SPEC_OFF IN_EDITMODE IN_PLAYMODE LIGHTMAP_OFF LIGHTMAP_ON LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE LOD_FADE_PERCENTAGE NORMALMAPS_ON PIXELSNAP_ON POINT POINT_COOKIE QUALITY_MOBILE QUALITY_STANDARD RTP_PM_SHADING RTP_POM_SHADING_HI RTP_POM_SHADING_MED RTP_SIMPLE_SHADING SAMPLES_HIGH SAMPLES_LOW SAMPLES_MEDIUM SAMPLES_ULTRA SAMPLES_VERY_LOW SHADOWS_CUBE SHADOWS_DEPTH SHADOWS_NATIVE SHADOWS_NONATIVE SHADOWS_OFF SHADOWS_SCREEN SHADOWS_SINGLE_CASCADE SHADOWS_SOFT SHADOWS_SPLIT_SPHERES SOFTPARTICLES_OFF SOFTPARTICLES_ON SPOT UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HDR_ON VERTEXLIGHT_ON WATER_EDGEBLEND_OFF WATER_EDGEBLEND_ON WATER_OFF WATER_REFLECTIVE WATER_REFRACTIVE WATER_SIMPLE WATER_VERTEX_DISPLACEMENT_OFF WATER_VERTEX_DISPLACEMENT_ON WIND WIND_OFF _AFS_DEFERRED _AFS_GRASS_APPROXTRANS _ALPHABLEND_ON _ALPHAPREMULTIPLY_ON _ALPHATEST_ON _BLENDGLOSS2_ON _CLIFFDETAIL_COLOR _CLIFFDETAIL_NONE _CLIFFDETAIL_NORMALS _CLIFFDETAIL_ON _DETAIL_MULX2 _DETAIL_OFF _DETAIL_ON _DIRECTSPEC_OFF _DIRECTSPEC_ON _EMISSION _EMISSIVENESS_OFF _EMISSIVENESS_ON _IBLDIFF_AMBIENT _IBLDIFF_CUBEMAP _IBLDIFF_SKYSHOPSH _IBLDIFF_UNITYSH _IBLSPEC_OFF _IBLSPEC_ON _LAYERCOUNT_FOUR _LAYERCOUNT_ONE _LAYERCOUNT_THREE _LAYERCOUNT_TWO _LIGHTMAPPING_DYNAMIC_LIGHTMAPS _LIGHTMAPPING_REALTIME _LOCALVSGLOBALSPACE_ON _METALLICGLOSSMAP _NORMALMAP _NORMALMAPS_OFF _NORMALMAPS_ON _OVERLAYFOG_OFF _OVERLAYFOG_ON _PARALLAXMAP _SNOW_OFF _SNOW_ON _SPECGLOSSMAP _SUNDISK_HIGH_QUALITY _SUNDISK_NONE _SUNDISK_SIMPLE _TERRAIN_NORMAL_MAP _UVSEC_UV1 _WATER_OFF _WATER_ON
    UnityEngine.Shader:DisableKeyword(String)
    RTP_LODmanager:RefreshLODlevel() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/Common/RTP_LODmanager.cs:276)
    RTP_LODmanagerEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/RTP_LODmanagerEditor.cs:79)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Any ideas?

14. Becoming

Becoming

That is a very common Problem and not related to any specific asset... the error suggests the solution. If you can't make your project slimmer regarding shaders(which actually introduce keywords) you have to edit some of the shaders to hardcode their features and remove the keywords manually...

Maybe Unity should have increased the limit to 256 instead of 128 to be more futureproof but who knows what their reason is to keep the limit that tight...

15. gecko

gecko

Regarding my problem with black polys z-fighting on geometry blended objects, you said:

I've done that, but it's still a problem--see screenshots. What am I doing wrong?

Also: Is there any way to tell RTP to use just the first four splat/layers, for lower quality settings, rather than duplicate the terrain and delete the 5-8 splats from the terrain? That would sure be convenient!

thanks
    Dave

Attached Files:

16. MS80

MS80

Sorry, maybe it was unclear... I know where to set the near distance value, but this value is limited to 50! I need a higher near distance value and was asking if there is a way to use a higher value!

17. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

RTP does an excellent job of enabling users to export various maps, e.g. height map, splat map, steepness map, etc., however it is unclear how these can be imported into new projects and applied to a terrain that is NOT using RTP. In fact, it is unclear whether it is even possible to export a texture map for procedurally generated content. Thoughts?

18. robymv

robymv

Hi all!
    I have a question that maybe you 'll look stupid.
    How can I turn the water direction of 90 degrees (WaterShader_FlowMap) ?
    Thank you

19. crypt0

crypt0

Hi Becoming,

I have deleted the AFS Shader and now I get no error messages.

Cheers

Becoming likes this.
  20. Recon03

Recon03

Hi Tom,not trying to rush you, but how is your asset coming along for mobile shaders?? I hope to update my game once you release it with your new shader asset when it does. Thanks.!

I plan to buy it soon as its released.

21. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

Hey Tom,

it seems like the reduction by slope modifier doesn't work for me. Even on the steepest slopes like 80 degrees or more there is still snow.
    What information does it take into account when looking at the steepness? Is it the normal map or the heightmap?

Thanks in advance for your help.

22. Undiscovered

Undiscovered

Hello all.

I am currently in the process of building an environment using the RTP shader (which is awesome). After building for test purposes the editor re-loaded with incorrect lighting and also causing a peculiar radius of difference in colour of my rtp textures. has anyone came across this issue before? If so how do I go about resolving it?

Thanks

*Edit* I am also seeing the following error in console:

23. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Hi Tom,
    FYI...
    I'm trying Unity 5.3b3 win64 and RTP 3.2i (with a new clean project) and Unity crash when I build exe only with RTP others build whithout RTP works fine

This is not a problem for me but I thought let you know...

Cheers

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you followed the steps from my geom blend YT video it's supposed to work. If problem persist you probably would need to contact me via skype then. How big is your world ? It might be related to positions of objects like (30000,20000,1000) because they are stored internally in single precision floats in Unity (16 bits). Can you check if the issue is present when you uncheck your tree trunks so they are not static anymore and try it w/o RTP batching ?

Your question about 4 vs. 8 layers to be switched dynamically - Unity treats 4 and 8 layers terrain completely different. It's just different terrain object. At this moment I can't think about any simple method to make 8 layer terrain 4 layer.

Look into ReliefTerrainEditor.cs script and look for the label description of the distance you'dm like to enlarge. When you find the line code of RTP inspector it will be clear how to change it (params at the end of inspector GUI function).

Maps you're refering to (like steepness) are grayscale masks while Unity uses normalized splatmaps where coverage of layers sum to 1. You'd need to make a script yourself that use grayscale masks. You need to inject their contents into a channel of splat control RGBA texture (in case of 4 layers) and normalize them (so the other uncovered textures are zeroed whem a layer that covers terrain is fully visible). Unity terrai object has also api for this. You need to refer to Unity terrain scripting docs.

That's not that stupid question. If doing this by script or in "photoshop" is not an option for you can find such line of code:

Code (csharp):
    1. flowSpeed=(tex2D(_FlowMap, flowUV).rg*2-1)*float2(-1,1)*TERRAIN_FlowSpeedMap+flowSpeed;
    and change flowUV variable to anything like float2(flowUV.y, flowUV.x) where flowUV.x/y you can switch and negate to get any flowmap orientation.

That's the next thing I plan to do. Some at least "alpha" simple version should be available this year.

I'm taking into account either mesh normals or global normalmap normals when this feature is used. In case of global normalmap used calculated steepness will be affected by global normal strength slider. Additionaly I take detail normal texture into account. Could you give an example (with setup ued) where it doesn't work for you ?

Can you check distances used ? Hard edge between ranges can be caused by low (zeroed) fade distance. Sometimes it comes from setup (like 8 layers used in 4+4 setup used in deferred).

[EDIT] Error line in ReliefTerrainEditor.cs is like:

Code (csharp):
    1. TextureImporter _importer=(TextureImporter)AssetImporter.GetAtPath(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(_target.globalSettingsHolder.BumpGlobal));
    While _target.globalSettingsHolder.BumpGlobal is tested to be not null a line above I'm wondering what can hurt here. It always worked. Maybe something changed recently. What's the Unity / RTP version you're using ? Exception in line 72 prevents from initialization in subsequent code in OnEnable() function that might cause some glitches. You could try to put the line into try{} catch or check GetAtPath result against the type (if it is TextureImporter or ?). If you're programer you know what I'm talking about. I'll try to reproduce the issue anyway and solve it somehow.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  25. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'll give it a try later, hopefully it's some regression in this beta which will be fixed by Unity. Anyway - crashing is rarely a script or shader failure themselves. It's up to Unity to not let it happen, although it's interesting that RP might be involved...

26. montyfi

montyfi

Suddenly, after upgrading Unity to 5.2.2 I got this strange color difference between terrains, how to fix that? Is it something with Unity? 2 passes, 8 layers, tesselation, forward rendering.
    Both in editor view and in play view.

Attached Files:

27. kayke

kayke

Hey Tom,

Great asset!
    Everything is working well, however when I build and run the textures on the terrain are all mixed up. In the editor I have my sand, grass, and asphalt but when I build and run my sand is where my grass was, my asphalt where my sand was, and grass where my asphalt was.

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Give me more info about your setup. Do you use 4 layers or 3 (sand grass and asphalt) ?

29. MS80

MS80

Thanks, that worked! :)

30. kayke

kayke

I have 8 layers and they are all mixed up when I build.
    I am running Unity 5.2.

31. tomaszek

tomaszek

Strange, I've never had such issue and nobody reported such problem. Coverage splat textures (2xRGBA for 8 layers) for terrain are controlled by Unity itself. I see no reason they might be mixed up. Can you check this with Unity's terrain shader ?

LOD manager setup and preferably screenshot of your RTP setup please. Forward or deferred, 8 layers in first pass or 4+4 used ?

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

Or features could be toggled by an if statement and a variable, so there is no keyword usage when possible.

I cant say though how much this if statement takes in processing and if it makes sense to use it instead.

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP uses only 4 keywords, you need to find saving somewhere else...

Tom

P.S. if() statement on uniform variables is mentioned (Aras) to be close to free on modern GPUs and I'm using it whenever possible in my current solutions. Problem is as always - if() statements can't handle derivatives inside conditional branch.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

My comment was a general one, good to know RTP uses so little as well.

Also if is indeed not possible in all cases.

35. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

Tomasz,

Can you think of any reason why (using 8 layers - 4+4), while running the game in the editor everything seems fine, but in a built client, the last 4 layers all appear totally black?

Thanks.

36. HemiMG

HemiMG

I just bought RTP and came across the strangest problem. After I added the SSR effect by Plawius to the scene and hit play, an area of snow surrounded my player, as seen in the image below. This odd patch of snow follows the player around. I assumed that the SSR effect messed something up, so I deleted it entirely from the project and still had the snow. Even after restarting Unity and rebuilding the RTP shaders.So I think the addition of the SSR effect might have been a coincidence. I've also got Time of Day, Suimono, and Sonic Ether Natural Bloom in the scene. None of them made any difference when disabled. It only does it on the mountains. The sand down on the beach is unaffected. Any idea what went horribly wrong? The is just the RTP terrain demo scene, so I'll be making a new scene from scratch for my actual game. Still, I'd like to know how to fix it if the issue crops up again.

Screenshot (44).png

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

This looks like snow but I believe it's just sky reflected. It's a case in deferred. Esp. in U5.2 where reflections are made per pixel in screenspace realized within separate pass. Turn off IBL spec feature (if you've got it enabled in LOD manager). It would double reflections functionality otherwise in deferred. Then manage specularity of your terrain (per layer - spec multiplier, and spec color in RTP/Settings/Main). You should be able to get it working.

The big plus of SSR is that you can have reflective wetness on the terrain with water puddles showing the near objects.

Tom

38. Avonaeon

Avonaeon

Hi Tom,
    We recently updated to Unity 5.2.2f1 and I've made a new scene using the exact same feature set as we used before (with 5.1.3). But after recompiling the shaders with 5.2.2, using that same feature set, the shader now throws an error and my terrains are pink.

Here's the error (We're using DX9):
    And here's the feature set: http://imgur.com/a/q2R2N

Is this due to something Unity did or changed in the new version, or is it something related to RTP? Considering it's a recompile with the exact same feature set, I'm inclined to believe it's the former.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
    All the best,
    Daniel

baci likes this.
  39. HemiMG

HemiMG

Hmm. It's definitely a reflection issue because I can control its intensity by changing the reflection amount in the lighting tab, and make it go away by setting that to zero. But I was running in forward rendering mode and the IBL spec feature was already off. I can also make the problem go away by setting the spec color in RTP/Settings/Main to completely black, but then I get this:

Screenshot (45).png

The scene is a duplicate of the example scene, and the example scene still runs fine. So I recreated my entire scene in another duplicate, and once again the problem only showed up when I added the Plawius SSR. So I'm just going to assume that Plawius doesn't work with RTP. But it's even worse than that because after it buggers up the scene, there doesn't seem to be a way to fix it. Even removing the SSR from the project entirely doesn't solve it. I'm glad I discovered that on a test scene! Anyhow, looks like I'll be waiting for December when Unity's version of SSR comes out. I hope they do a better job with it than they did with their other image effects.

40. tomaszek

tomaszek

Example scene is meant to work fine in forward. In deferred you need to recompile shaders in LOD manager to render 8 layers in one pass (8 layers mode to be set in first pass features in LOD manager).

Unity probably changed the usage of texture sampling for lightmaps. Separate specular mode with baked and GI can eat up to 5 (!) textures while that's not all - still point falloffs are used + shadow map. So from 16 textures RTP might use effectively 9 only. For DX9 you'll need to reduce number of features used or go for atlased mode for 4+4 setup (that means no deferred though where we need 8 layers rendered in one pass - look above)

The reason it still works in DX11 is that Unity decouples textures from samplers (not possible in DX9) and reuse the same samplers for lightmaps. As what misses here are texture samplers (limit of 16 for both DX9 and DX11) not textures themselves - theoretically you can have a lot more textures used in DX11 shader while keeping 16 sampler limit using the technique.

Tom

41. Mick21

Mick21

Hey,

I want to clarify something about multiple scenes. I have two independent terrains in two seperate scenes and I want to have two rtp setups. Now, If I understand docs correctly - in case when terrains don't share place in hierarchy they have seperate setup, so rtp manager in scene reads different state for each?

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

Inside one scene when you want separate setup you need to place terrains in separate transform anchors. Between scenes it doesn't matter as far as you don't use things like additive scene loading (that's how I guess it is supposed to work).

But when you would like to have 2 separate setups that involves different LOD manager settings in 2 scenes - it's not possible out of the box,. You would need to compile shaders with LOD manager, copy compiled versions and reaplce shaders manually for such 2 "completely separate setup" terrain materials.

43. Tethys

Tethys

@tomaszek - Hey man, as usual, your products are awesome and we always enjoy using them, thank you! I just got Uber Global Parameter control working with our weather system so when it rains Uber materials are now showing Wet (we use your TriPlanar in Uber for building/terraforming materials for players). However, our voxel terrain uses RTP and I have wetness setup but not using it yet. So, of course the question is, how can we make RTP subscribe to Uber Global Parameter controller? I am using multiple RTP TriPlanar mats for our different biomes, would love to see the terrain get wet in addition to everything else using Uber. Second(Uber question actually), wanted to ask if in the future there was a possibility of you including a triplanar that allows us to set a different set of textures for the side and top(in Uber, in addition to the great one you have now)? I want to use Uber for all my terrain terraformer materials but could really use that side option so we can have stone on the side and grass on top. :) Thanks in advance if you have any ideas in regards to making RTP get wet when Uber stuff gets wet from the GP controller!

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

Currently UBER wet system and RTP wetness are decoupled.
    It's because RTP in its current state is kind of "final" product, uses different snow, wet implementation. When next new RTP release appear I'll try to couple it with UBER.

You would need to dig into global wet controller script of UBER and place there code to control RTP (global snow level and global wet level - I've disucced it many times on this forum).

Tethys likes this.
  45. Tethys

Tethys

Gratitude!

46. C3P

C3P

RTP rocks!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    AdamGoodrich, John-G and tomaszek like this.
  47. magique

magique

I'm just getting RTP going on my new project and I followed the getting started steps. Everything went fine for the most part, but I'm seeing a couple of things that don't seem right. First, I can't change the tiling value. It defaults to 3, which looks wrong so I change it to 5, but there's no visible change. So, I tried 8 and still no change. I went to extremes and tried 1 and then 32, but nothing happens. I even tried re-building shaders, but that didn't change anything. I then enabled water and tried painting a water mask. First I just filled all terrain with water, but nowhere was any water seen at all. So, I dried everything and then painted on some areas. I can see the mask getting black in those areas, but even after ending painting and saving the mask, there is no water. I also don't see any perlin noise being applied even when I change the setting radically.

Now, I am seeing a red exclamation in my lod manager settings as follows:

AddPass is automatically fired for terrain by Unity. However it WON'T be automatically fired for geometry blending base shader when needed...

So I check the AddPass for geometry blend base check box and re-compile. After re-compiling, the check box is still checked, but the error is still there. And as soon as I run the game, the check is unchecked and remains that way.

At the moment, the terrain doesn't appear to be doing anything RTP related at all.

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

The error you're refering to is more like warning rather than real problem in your case. It is not realted to your problem. Are you sure RTP shader is used on the terrain ? Check Unity terrain settings and if terrain shading type is set to custom material in the drop down.It might be this specific issue if you don't use latest RTP (3.2i) on U5.1 or U5.2 at least.

If you try to change tiling in Unity texture dialog, it will never work. because RTP manages tiling together for every layer it's the same (only for UV blend you can set tiling separately). Tiling is set in RTP/Settings/Main. Have you look into my pdf docs ?

Tom

49. magique

magique

Yes, it is set to custom.

It's 3.2i and I'm on Unity 5.2.2f1.

Yes, I'm setting it in RTP/Settings/Main..

Yes, that's what I used to get everything going.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  50. magique

magique

I actually found a setting that shows me that something is happening. When I change the specular color, the terrain changes. Other settings still nothing so far. Of course I haven't tried every setting yet, but I'll keep poking around to try to figure out why things aren't working.