Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. reocwolf

reocwolf

No. That was me trying different settings to see if it made a difference. I just tried again an it doesn't work. I'm going to start a new project and see if it makes a difference.

Attached Files:

2. reocwolf

reocwolf

Apparently it had something to do with my project.

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'll do my best for this year. But I'm only a human... Jobs, affairs, family, mortgages, bills, repairments. Ya know :).
    Anyway - mobilewise version - let's say - "alpha"release would have very limited options. I'll only try to squeeze very core functionalities so it works:

1. in one pass
    2. for low end machines - 4 layers only
    3. for better ones - maybe 8 via some atlasing maybe
    4. no POM, fancy dynamic water.

Tom

4. gecko

gecko

I would be ecstatic just to have 4-splat heightmap blending that runs nicely on mobile.

5. Hanssteffen

Hanssteffen

Hi Tom,

i´ve bought RTP and it works great. I´m an artist and not a programmer, that´s why your videos were very helpful. What I miss, is a Video about your water shader. I´v implemented the shader and it looks strong, but is it possible to use the shader for a river with foam or something like this affected by the heightmaps or real objects? And is it better to use your shader on a extra river-mesh?

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

My water shader means only "surface water", so for anything deeper you need to use separate transparent geometry like classic water is.

Tom

7. Mick21

Mick21

I baked normals from sculpted high poly mesh (projected on plane). Bad idea? Should I prepare low res terrain but not just plane and then bake details?

here is my example

Attached Files:

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

The idea is fine, but the platform should be there on the hires model before bake. Global normalmap should have resolution high enough - at least at resolution of terrain heigtmap used.

Show me the problematic platform on your global nomalmap, I see only mountains and erosion features. Your platform must be there on global normalmap.

Tom

9. Mick21

Mick21

Ahhh now I get it. I made the terrace by hand in unity editor after baking normals! I'll rebake maps and share my results.

10. jcuzens

jcuzens

I have a small issue where after RTP is installed on my terrain and I go back and paint with the standard paint tools whenever the terrain will turn pink as I'm actually painting and then return to normal after I mouseup. Anyone else experience this? Is this a known issue?

Thanks,
    Jarrod

11. jcuzens

jcuzens

12. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Hi, I seem to be unable to bake any lightmaps for my Terrain. I am running Unity 5.1.3 and the latest version of RTP (3.2i), but whenever I set the Terrain to bake Lightmaps it freezes on "5/11 Clustering" even if I'm only baking the Terrain and nothing else. Im not sure if I'm perhaps doing something wrong or setting it up wrong, please any help on the matter would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can shed.

13. tomaszek

tomaszek

Sorry, I can't tell. It's rather some problem with Unity GI I guess... :(. Try to remove RTP component before baking to check if it does matter for GI baking - I mean bake it with standard terrain shader.

Tom

14. InfiniteDice

InfiniteDice

Hi Tom, I have an issue... I build the project with dx9 and dx11 selected in the LODmanager. When I load the game on my dx11 machine it's fine, when I load it on my dx9 machine the terrain is all red. Does the shader fall back to dx9 automatically or do I need to make a dx version chooser in my game before it loads the main scene?

Thanks.

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you use DX11 specific features like tessellation there is no fallback I'm afraid. Otherwise it whould work on both platforms, but... DX9 HLSL compiler introduced in U5 (replacing ol' good Cg) has issues with teomporary registers assignment and some variants can't be compiled anymore for DX9. So - you need to run editor in -force-d3d9 mode and check. Then you'll be probably forced to reduce some features (like POM or triplanar).

Asked Unity about it - Aras said it's Microsoft made HLSL compiler and they can't fix it.

Tom

16. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hey tomas,

Can you clarify something for me? I may have misunderstood this line the description

"Includes new standalone RTP shaders that works out-of-the-box on any mesh including Voxel Terrains solutions (while any simplistic mesh with normals is enough)."

I read this as it including the relief shaders pack (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5705). Was that an incorrect interpretation?

Anyways, still loving this tool. Thanks for all the hard work!

17. tomaszek

tomaszek

RSP is separate pack. It's obsolete anyway (U4 only), because UBER is successor of it. RTP has shaders (standalone, so they have not that nice inspector UI like RTP component on terain has) that can be used on any mesh - triplanar, so you need only to have a mesh with normals.

Tom

18. wolfen231

wolfen231

Ahh. Thanks for pointing out the UBER set. I had seen them but I didn't realize the RSP was obsolete (in terms of Unity versions). I didn't read that well enough. Glad I asked and glad you always answer questions.

I will be picking up UBER now haha. Thanks Tom!

19. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

Hey,

I tried assigning height textures per script like this:

FindObjectOfType<ReliefTerrain>().globalSettingsHolder.Heights[0] = hillTextureHeight;

The problem is not that it doesnt get assigned but it seems like it isnt possible to recalculate the heighttextures. It seems to be doable with the normals though.
    Is there anything I'm missing?

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you assign single detail height texture it will have no effect until you actually combine all textures (0-3 or 4-7) into one and set them as combined texture. It's HeightMap or HeightMap2 variable. Combining is straightforward - textures 0-3 go to RGBA channels., you can analyze my part of code that is responsible for this. Then calling anRTPinstance.globalSettingsHolder.RefreshAll(); will do the rest refreshing material.

Tom

21. kaarme

kaarme

This might be a dump question but can I get specularity with legacy deferred? I just downloaded lux. What do I do?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  22. tomaszek

tomaszek

What's the reason you'd like to use legacy deferred ? New deferred is more drawcall wise. Actually this should work. You put legacy deferred lux shader in graphics settings and disable PBR fit in deferred in LOD manager. What version of Unity and RTP do you use ?

Tom

23. kaarme

kaarme

RTP3.2i, Unity 5.2.0f3

24. kaarme

kaarme

It's now on deferred (not legacy) and looks good. Thanks!

25. ksam2

ksam2

If you could add "Bleach Bypass" and "Contrast" effect under Brightness and Saturation option on : Setting/Main menu that would be cool.
    For example I need to increase bleach bypass on my terrain but don't want to do that on camera because my character shaders (like skin and cloth) have enough bleach and contrast but terrain still need a little more Contrast and Bleach Bypass effect.

Is there anyway?

26. astrand130

astrand130

Try Checking the linear color-space checkbox in the LOD Manager if you are in in Unity 5. (I had the same problem a while ago and was checking the forum for another problem)

27. ksam2

ksam2

No I need to apply more contrast and bleach bypass to my terrain (That makes my terrain looks better) but I don't want my other objects get any contrast and bleach bypass effect. so in that case RTP can have them and it would be helpful as Brightness and Saturation options on : Setting/Main menu.

28. gecko

gecko

I"m having a weird problem after adding an RTP terrain to my scene: My player-character flickers blue. Not the entire mesh, just certain tris (about half of them). It happens with RTP in SIMPLE and PM LOD modes, but not with CLASSIC, and it stops happening if I swap in a normal Unity terrain. It's an intermittent flicker, usually appears every 3-4 seconds, whether the PC is moving or stationary -- but it stops happening if I disable the animation component on the PC. Any ideas?

29. tomaszek

tomaszek

??? RTP shader is independent object. I see no reason it might influence any other mesh apart from terrain surface. I can't advise while I can't reproduce this weird behavior...

Tom

30. gecko

gecko

yeah, it doesn't happen when I put my model in your sample scenes. But I found out one thing: The mesh flickers blue because the camera's Background Color is set to blue. If I change that to red, then the mesh flickers red, and etc. Unfortunately, changing opacity of the background color doesn't have any effect. There must be something odd about my scenes which would create this problem in conjunction with RTP (because it only happens with RTP terrain)....

EDIT: And when I remove the terrain layer from the camera culling mask, the problem goes away.

EDIT2: And...it goes away when I remove Suimono water from the scene. Argh. Does that give you any ideas? I'll go ask the Suimono developer if he has any.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  31. Innom

Innom

This looks absolutely amazing, but I'm curious whether it's possible to use in a spherical world to build planets and moons which can be zoomed right in on (think procedural sandbox universe where you can "land")?

32. Autarkis

Autarkis

Hey Tom ( or anyone else that might know what im looking for :) )
    Trying to find where I could set up the far blend replace distance on the UV blend settings, can't seem to figure out where I could change it ( or is it somewhere as a fixed value in one of your scripts? that's what seems likely.) if so, would you mind pointing me towards the script/lines that I would adjust for this? Thanks!

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

In old good times when Planetary Terrain plugin was supported I made sepcial version of RTP shader that uses 4 detail layers, triplanar and 2 global maps (color, normal) when you've got your platent UV mapped cylindrical. So it is still in the package with example scene (mesh taken from Planetary Terrain output), but I don't actively support it. It's RTP rather than RPP.

As far as I remember "replace distance" is "far distance" that's set on perlin normal tab.

Tom

34. Autarkis

Autarkis

Thanks Tom ( anyone stumbling into this looking for it too, it's also controlled by the distance start in main settings > near distance values)

35. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    after upgrading to Unity 5.2 I'm getting this problem:

As you see everything that is drawn as near distance is black. I have tried to reimport newest version of RTP.
    After this, I get near terrain drawn. (rtp lod manager settings are overriden on reimport) But after I just recompile shaders without any changes. It gets black again.

I have tried different settings of lod manager but still near terrain was black. Do you have some idea or guidance?

It could be related with RTP upgrade to latest verson (I have upgraded RTP because upgrade of unity) or with Unity 5.2 version. I will wait for tip. And than I could try to revert project before upgrading RTP and Unity to 5.2. And try it without RTP upgrade.

Update:
    I get same result without upgrading of RTP. So only unity version is changed to 5.2 and as a result I have black terrain in near distance.
    Thanks
    Peter

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  36. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

When you upgrade RTP, depending how old the other version was, you usually have to remove ALL references to DTP in the scene. This also includes changing the material on the terrain back to default from the one RTP creates. Then start over.

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can't tell what exactly produces this behavior, but I remember haveing such issue as well. But I went into no conlusion on this bwecause after a few Ctrl+S operations, reloading Unity it just started to work... Which is of course no help for you, it behaves strange and unpredictible. Could try with other lighting path or trying to recompile your shaders with atlasing (8layers mode) on/off ?

Tom

38. camel82106

camel82106

Changing deffered to forward helps. But that's not very nice solution... (I have outdoor scenes, but I had some reason why I choose deffered, although I can't remember it now. Probably one reasons is unity PBS for RTP?)
    I have tried recompilation of shaders, 8 layers in one pass or two pass. Nothing helped.

P.S.: for Unity 5.2 we may check no specularity to true? It would really help to

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  39. Mick21

Mick21

Is there a proper way to save terrains and rtp manager as prefab and import it in other project?

40. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can select no specularity but output will also have no specularity (no mattter forward or deferred).

I'll try to open again RTP3.2i in U5.2.0f3 and will tell you how it works on my side. But maye you tested example scene as well ? How many terrain objects do you use ?

Tom

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

Manager state depends on scene state (number of terrain tiles for example) + compiled shader options (RTP LOD manager looks into shader code to see which options are used).

For storing terrain as prefab - save all textures (combined textures tab) + global maps into assets (so combined textures are not scene objects anymore but persistant project png files). Then drag&drop terrain with RTP component on it into project should make working reusable prefab.

Tom

42. camel82106

camel82106

Just with some fast test I get this in example terrain scene:

In my scene I use 4 terrains.

I have tried to reimport RTP again. And tried example scene again. And it looks like this without compiling shaders:

After recompiling shaders it looks same as on first image.

Everything was tested in deffered. In forward it look ok. Only if I look down terrain will darken in jump.

43. Mick21

Mick21

Hmm I don't know how to transfer shaders or recompile them on import?

RTP_Manager and Components say:
    "The associated script can not be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assing a valid script"

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to consider that 8 layers in 4+4 (default shader compiled state after RTP installation on fresh project) will not work at all. You need to recompile shaders with 8 layers mode to check deferred on example scene.

Tom

45. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can you tell which errors are produced on build ?

46. Autarkis

Autarkis

Hi Tomas,
    Something really weird started happening on the terrain during our day/night cycle ( at night). Some of the terrain textures will become a very bright white/yellow for a little time and go back to its regular textures. When it first started happening it only happened on one texture set, but now it doesnt seem to stop at just one texture.
    white.png

Any thought as to what is causing this? Originally it looked like it was related to heightmaps ( the terrain texture would display the heightmap in those flashes and you could clearly see them, and I took them off, nothing changed, i was thinking it may be related to spec ( felt like grazing angle spec at some point) and tried everything including checking no spec and recompiling the rtp shaders, and obviously didn't work.

47. Mick21

Mick21

I'm sorry I bothered, it was other plugin that threw errors. I managed to transport everything in one package.
    All settings seem fine! However after import perlin normal doesn't work :(

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

Are you sure you save _all_ combined textures ? perlin normals is also packed into combined texture (so what you see in editor is not the texture shader actually uses).

Responsible are complementary lights. Don't let light to go under 0.01 intensity or disable compl. lighting in LOD manager and recompile shaders.

Tom

49. Autarkis

Autarkis

Awesome thanks!!

50. camel82106

camel82106

Uff, I wasn't aware that 4+4 mode wasn't working in new deffered. After using only first pass with 8layers in first pass enabled it's relative working. (I was having No lighting checked that was too problem + atlas is needed).

Now I have very strong reflections on all materials. I was tuning it down from 0.8 to 0.15 on most layers.
    Wasn't sure why till now it was working. Long time without shaders recompilation don't know which version of unity made 4+4 not working.

Thanks
    Peter