Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Setmaster

Setmaster

Nathaniel showed me a video of your hole system that is coming with RTP 3.1 I think, are there any limitations about the holes?

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I guess, the only limitation of the holes is the release date...

3. Unityaware

Unityaware

Hi Tom, I wonder whether you have a solution. I opened my scene today and all the RTP bumps have disappeared from the textures. I re-imported all assets, but it made no difference. My heart sunk when I considered reapplying all the textures, which took two days. RTP is still showing in the inspector up as before, with all the texture windows as normal, but they are all flat in the scene. Is there a quick way of restoring these without having to start from scratch? Thanks for your help.

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

Bad... To not loose volatile textures references you need to save them first (save all in "combined textures" tab). For 2 days of work I assume you have dozens of scene with different textures applied to RTP script ? To quickly refresh/recalculate combined textures in RTP3.1 we've got new button below each texture slot, but in your case this will probably require clicking it on every RTP script in every scene. If you've got textures sorted out the way they are managed in RTP package (diffuse, normal heightmap next to each other) you can find texture to reapply more easy.

Anyway - this moment I see no option for you but do it by hand or write a script which will force textures rebuild automatically.

Tom

5. Unityaware

Unityaware

Thanks Tom, are your referring to the "Select" button within each texture window? So I just re-import the texture then, am I right? Also, I can't see a "save all" option under the "Combined Texture Tab", only "save to file" for "Height maps", Normal Maps" and "Special" .

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

No, I'm refering to new button (RTP3.1) that do the same as reassigning the texture (assigning none and then the texture again - as this is awkward, I've introduced refresh buttons in new release). In combined textures tab you need to save all textures one by one.

Tom

7. knotFF

knotFF

Tom.

I am actually using Substance Designer to get my textures.
    No matter what I do I keep getting this super glossy surfaces. I get the same results happens when I use a substance material and "Get Textures" or when I export the bitmaps to TGA or PNG (DXT5, etc, etc).
    Maybe is the way I am building my substances... Is it possible for to post a simple working substance (.sbs) so I can double check I am not making a mistake while setting up the Diffuse/Normal/Height within substance?
    Thanks again.
    F.

8. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

FF1978 I have been using several substances without problem - however I have experienced the same glossy problem using other textures. I believe the shininess is controlled by the alpha on the diffuse texture - so make sure the alpha is correct. In the substance itself you can check the generated texture settings and see where alpha is coming from. If it is set to specularity, tho just dial down the shininess.

9. knotFF

knotFF

Yep its very strange. I managed to get the channel merged in Substance... finally!!! But now if I export the bitmaps to say TGA or PNG it works fine but the substance gets mixed up the I use the "Get Textures" (see images below).

I have attached my very simple SD files. Could you please have a look and see if I am doing something wrong.
    Thanks again.

Here is the link to the .sbs file.
    www.rgbird.org/ftp/FF_RTP_SD.zip

F.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  10. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

The sexy lounge music while the camera moves in and out of the hole made me feel kinda funny. But aside from that, AWESOME. ;)

11. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Actually, a question about the hole system: Do you just add a transparent texture to the list of splats? Could I use it to clip the edges off of my terrain to make a floating sky island?

12. Setmaster

Setmaster

I'm also interested in how this holes work, like will raycast work in them?

13. tomaszek

tomaszek

If chillout music associates with sex for you - rethink your mind states :) - anyway better than apocalytpic one (pompous orch choir ).

Holes are cut basing on alpha channel of global colormap. You've got holes where it's 0. you can paint holes manually inside RTP script (like you can paint global colormap). For floating islands - yes, you might cut holes around island and add bottom with a mesh, but better idea in this case would be constructing islands as meshes I believe and use standalone RTP shader (triplanar). However - this constraints to 4 layers (+ snow)

I include script that resolves collisions between terrain and objects (like 1st person controller player in case of example video above). To make raycasting you will have to handle it yourself. It will be straightforward. As you cast a ray against the terrain and get hit position, sample global colormap at hit uv coords and check if its alpha channel is black. Then you'll know it's hole hit (and you need to racast deeper below terrain surface to get exact point of collision inside cavern mesh).

Tom

14. lazygunn

lazygunn

Bit against the mentality of the forum but if sexy music is used to show off an asset, im way more convinced haha. More of that. And I agree the pompous apocalyptic music used to soundtrack entirely unfitting asset videos is awful and pretty much puts me off the product entirely

The FBIK guys music i think has it perfect cause its funky and kinda funny, which is a good spot to hit, but barry white and a pretty asset can go a long way towards a sale

15. Tanoshimi2000

Tanoshimi2000

Tom,
    Saw an amazing video on Terrain Composer site showing hole in terrain through RTP3 or 3.1. Any chance you've got a youtube video or pdf showing how you do it? I'd love to add caves to my work!

16. rcober

rcober

Tom - I ran into a strange problem - when adjusting global perlin settings, it is only affecting 2 of the 4 terrains in the scene? Other settings like snow correctly affect all 4 terrains.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I know 3.1 is right around the corner - just wondering if you had seen issues where only some of the terrains were working ?

I tried recompiling rtp, exiting restarting unity to no avail...

Thanks for any insight

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  17. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'll make an short video of workflow. It won't show every step done in 3rd party modelling software (Blender) as I'm not much skilled it took me a while to make the tunnel there.

Basically I cut holes in terrain. Then put two patches of geom blend geometry over holes. I actually cut holes (removing triangles) in pathces where we've got holes. Then exported mesh to blender and merged two patches (two holes) to constitute tunnel. UV mapped and reimported to RTP. As I didn't affected original hole patches they still fit terrain and we can't tell where is the terrain and where is cavern mesh - that's why I consider result as proof of concept.

Tom

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

Looks like 2 of your 4 terrains don't have perlin normal combined texture - go to the terrain object that reacts to perlin and look at combined textures/special tab - should be texture there (basicaly this texture will use RG channels encoding perlin normalmap used). Then go to other terrain object that doesn't react to perlin and do the same. You'll probably won't see proper texture there. And - for some reason you 2 terrains have different global settings holder object (should be the same for all terrain tiles). Try to remove ReliefTerrain script component from 2 terrains that doesn't react to perlin and reassign ReliefTerrain.cs component again there.

ATB, Tom

19. soft_body_physics

soft_body_physics

Anyone getting this compile error with importing RTP3?

Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/GeometryVsTerrainBlendEditor.cs(195,115): error CS1501: No overload for method `MeshToFile' takes `2' arguments

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Would you guys happen to know what might be causing this: http://imgur.com/9xsETdB
    Many thanks in advance for any tips.

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

You've got original ObjExporter.cs script from unity wiki somewhere in your project probably. Tom resolve this - change RTP's script name and class name inside to unique like RTPObjExporter.cs and refer to this class in problematic line. I modified a bit ObjExporter.cs class so this take additional argument - path to file where save.

Tom

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

Such artifacts appears in deferred for 2 passes. Use one pass (8 layers) or remove specularity (black alpha channel in diffuse texture or specular color to zero) from first pass. You can also try to increase shininess for first pass layers. In RTP3.1 this problem is solved more seriously, but as addpass is decal we don't have control over specularity in addpass - glossiness there will be constant value defined in Settings/Main (I'm talking about incoming release).

Tom

Tom

23. soft_body_physics

soft_body_physics

I've done this but and I now have no compile errors, but i'm not seeing the terrain blend.

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

Recompiling shaders take care about options needed to be checked in LOD manager. Shaders won't recompile when RTP is installed in different location (other than Assets/ReliefPack)

Tom

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi guys. As I'm really close to submit RTP3.1 I can share here more detailed list of features and changes made to incoming version comparing to RTP3.0. Although below list isn't 100% detailed, it's pretty long, below are most important ones:

- New PBL (physical based lighting) render pipeline with a lot of modulators per layer. Glossmap is now detail A channel. Specular mask can be either constant or derived from different inputs. Works fully in forward. To get it working the same in deferred install free open framework Lux package.

- IBL features similar to what users are familiar with Skyshop. You can use the same global cubemaps for spec/reflection and diffuse IBL. Linear/Gamma + HDR shader switches available. RTP can react to skyshop cubemaps rotation (global Sky object rotation).

- IBL static reflection map (that was present in RTP3.0) now works new way. Fresnel is shaped ^4 and is adjustable per layer (separately for water and snow)

- Complementary lighting - fixed bugs, now it applies to only 1 most important directional light in the scene.

- Holes on the terrain - you can paint holes on the terrain and use collision resolve script (easy caverns/tunnels).

- Triplanar now works in 8 layers mode, although only for layers 0-3. To not get any texturing discrepancy it's advisable to use "No overlap in 8 layers mode" option (but not necessary when 0-3 vs 4-7 blending doesn't occur on slopes, other than that it's not much distracting in most cases anyway).

- Triplanar - coverage correctly taken at different aixs (not topplanar only).

- New UV blend features - more blending parameters, replacement at far distance, optional blended detail normalmap at far distance.

- New UV blend routing procedure - UV scale tiling independent from blend layer source number

- Presets - you can load/save them to .asset files to share across different scenes

- New global map type - global ambient emissive with baked shadows. Great as replacement for IBL diffuse or complementary lighting. you can bake there indirect illumination color lightmap (RGB) with shadows (A). Shadows are applied by distance so they blend with realtime shadow system seamlessly.

- Emissive features - A channel of detail texture can be treated as emission mask. Water can be emissive (lava), additional support for simple hot air refraction effect over emissive surfaces.

- Advanced global colormap blending - this can take into account detail heightmaps (coloring only bottom parts of it for example).-

- Global colormap has new modifier that artificialy boosts a lot its details (by distorting colormap by perlin noise).

- 4 layers mode can now use optional atlasing (we get 3 texture samplers free for another features that need dedicated textures).

- Optional aniso filtering (works for non atlased modes - 4 layers and without triplanar) - better defined details at mid/far distance flat part of terrain.

- Perlin normalmap - correctly mixed with detail normalmap in shading modes higher than simple.

- Perlin normalmap is "UV blended" in 2 scales - you can set very low tiling scale and still have it quite detailed.

- Any fog type handling (to be set in LOD manager, not only Exp2)

- New standalone shaders that uses RTP core engine (any voxel terrain mesh works with RTP out-of-the-box). Now you can have most options available on any mesh (like voxel terrain, planet, etc)

- RTP works with PlanetaryTerain system (via dedicated shader based on RTP shading core engine).

- New geom blend features - multiple object editing (select 100 rocks and set their geom blend params together), optimization (removing) of vertices under the ground, standalone RTP shaders can be used as geom blend (good when used as triplanar - you can model and shade caverns w/o UV unwrap mapping problems).

- Geom blend works with limited features together with standalone meshes (standalone means - material only, w/o ReliefTerrain script). For static voxel terrains you can decorate your environment with more blended detail.

- New configurable shaders - 1/2 layers PM with almost all RTP features to be used as geomblend or any mesh (for example you can configure shader to use caustics or snow synchronised globally over whole scene on any of your objects)

- RTP standalone shaders can work as geom blend now (so you can decorate your terrain with fully featured RTP shader - even with with self-shadowed POM, up to 4 layers blended basing on vertex colors).

- Problematic specularity in multipass (&geomblend) deferred has been addressed (with some limitations on additive/decal passes - glossiness there will be constant value (no detail glossmap taken there from detail texture A channel).

- Self-shadowing, AO and baked shadows are now properly handled (it doesn't damp output diffuse color but makes it looking like in shadow).

- Global normalmap is properly mixed with detail normals. Optionally you can apply it at distance only.

- Fixed detail heightmap blending, no dark artifacts across passes and for black detail heightmaps. Blending is crispier, better defined esp. at far distance.

- Multiple terrains on one scene can be tiled independently (fixes problem of different size terrains)

- More adjustement modifiers (saturation/brightness for all terrain, global colormap separately near/far, and per layer).

- LOD manager interface sorted out (features grouped and put together more logical).

- Surfaces with water got new render pipeline. Wet surfaces got saturation influenced (like real mineral materials gain a bit saturation when they're wet).

ATB, Tom

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  26. garyhaus

garyhaus

Tom,

SAHWEET!!!!

Gary

27. Brackman

Brackman

Hey Tom,

would it be possible in the next version to actually do this change? Make that file RTPObjExporter.cs? :)

28. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Ah great update!
    I love your plugin!!
    REQUIRED!!
    Thank Tomas !!!

29. botumys

botumys

Thanks Tom, great update!

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

Sure, it's already done.

Tom

31. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

WOW Tom, I just read RTP3.1 update features!!

Man you work hard... You're so productive :)

Nice work indeed

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Any timetable regarding RTP 3.1 release?

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

I was hoping submiting this today, but I've just run into a few small issues. I hope tomorrow I'll handle this as everything is ready for submission - new info page, screenshots and so on. For new PDF docs - it will be available ASAP, but probably will take a few days to sort out. Then I'll try to produce at least 1-2 tutorial videos per week :).

Of course - we need to consider AssetStore approval time - it's a bit unpredictible (sometines 3-4 days, sometimes 2 weeks...)

To sweeten waiting time, I can spot here a few new screenshot that will be on AssetStore showing new PBL/IBL lighting stages:

(rightclick to enlarge)

ATB, Tom

34. netvortex_dc

netvortex_dc

Thomas,
    i'm working on a procedual terrain project here and i was wondering how one could trigger the "Construct colormap from detail color" Button/Feature from scripting. I can access the script via GetComponent<ReliefTerrain>(), just missing directions from here... Thanks in advance!

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

This functionality is hardcoded directly in ReliefTerrainEditor.cs script. Find line:
    Code (csharp):
    2. if (GUILayout.Button("Construct colormap from detail colors of layers (below)")) {
    After clicking this button colormap is constructed basing on 1,2 or 3 (depending on number of layer used) control textures (splat controls) that are stored in anReliefTerrainInstance.globalSettingsHolder object (controlA, controlB, controlC object properties respectively). It also uses information about averange color value of each layer which is simply color stored in top level MIP per every detail texture. Its taken a few layers above starting from this line:

Code (csharp):
    2. Color[] avg_cols=new Color[_target.numLayers];
    You'll have to analyse this part of my code and reuse it with modifiactions needed in your project. I'm wondering why do you need it as this is only quite a basic global colormap functionality - terrain looks mostly the same without it. You can, hoever, use such global colormap texture for further manipulation.

ATB, Tom

36. BES

BES

Nice! ..looks great...really detailed...thanks for the update.

37. netvortex_dc

netvortex_dc

Awesome! Thank you! I'm doing it because the heightmap data for the terrain changed and the colormap data for that terrain is outdated at that point.

38. VataRaven

VataRaven

With Unity 5 coming with the 64 bit editor and becoming multi-threaded, will this mean big things got RTP?

Also, it says Advanced dynamic snow

What does that mean?

39. neopan

neopan

Any chance of you releasing your Silverlining tweaks? Or do you recommend an alternate cloud program

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

The creator of Nuaj just released the source along with the product and I think and faults could definitely be fixed up with a bit of research. from having tried both Nuaj and silverlining, i much prefer the former, despite some shortcomings

Also Tom those shots look a labour of love regarding the accuracy of the lighting on the smallest details. The fact that the Gold mountain works so well is proof of the idea.. lots of options for landscapes here

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  41. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Nuaj works well with RTP?

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

lazygunn used them both on his volcano demo scene, so I assume - yes

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

Means you can cover all the terrain with snow just using one slider - summer/winter dynamic cycle in terms of terrain surface can be done very easily. Run example scene demo (first page), go to higher part of terrain and use snow slider to see how it works

Tom

44. VataRaven

VataRaven

So, could you do a slider for something like sand?

45. tomaszek

tomaszek

It doesn't matter snow or sand - you can use dedicated layer texture as "snow". I know about a case of a developer that RTP for underwater game and uses snow feature for sand on the sea bottom - it doesn't cover slopes by default so making the scene was simple for him.

Tom

46. Robsy128

Robsy128

Hi Tom,

I seem to be having an issue with the geometry blending for some rock meshes which I merged together. The normal mesh looks like this:

$Texture Issue 1.JPG

But when I use the relief geometry blend shader, it turns horrible, like this:

$Texture Issue 2.JPG

I want it to look like the first image... just with a bit of blending so it merges with the terrain easily.

47. tomaszek

tomaszek

What exactly looks horribly ? On 2nd image you've got main texture tiling set to (12,9). On the first image it's rather something like 1,1 I'd say. For geom blend you need to choose RTP's geom blend shader that reflects what original shader on your material does (I assume it's something like bumped specular).

Tom

48. Robsy128

Robsy128

Ahhh that was it... stupid tiling! I knew something wasn't quite right :p

Thanks for the help! :)

Also, is there an update in regards to your tutorial videos? I'm using your documentation at the moment, although I find videos a lot easier to follow.

49. tomaszek

tomaszek

There are no new tutorial (yet).

Tom

50. rahul007

rahul007

Hi tom.Have you submitted it ? And if you havent when do you plan to submit?