Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Recon03

Recon03

Tom, it was great using RTP for years, 6-8 thanks, it was awesome but its not aging well anymore for the new rendering, sadly... I had hoped to see new RTP by now, so I will be saying good bye, and using MS from now on. RTP did serve its purpose for me for many clients and years. SO thanks Tom..

Be well, and maybe one day we will see a new version of RTP, keeping up with Unity and its new rendering, Substance, and much more. .Which is industry standard. I use Unreal more anyways, but I still use Unity to prototype.. good luck in what ever you do.

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

Thank you. I hope don't feel disapointed as you said RTP served well for many years, but indeed technology is running fast and we can't make many more projects with Unity's built-in RP. I just can't focus primarily on terrain systems for AssetStore. That's the situation for many years by now (that's why I haven't submitted anything new) burried with work on so many other topics (still shader/rendering related). I hope one day I'll be able to serve back the community more actively on UAS.

Tom

Recon03 likes this.
  3. Recon03

Recon03

Tom, you are an amazing shader programmer, I always said that, you Jason, Scott are some amazing shader programmers for Unity, I used Unity for over 15 years professionally , and RTP served me well for years. I'm disappointed that, I have not seen new work from you, Uber is still great but, its mainly for the old pipeline, so as Unity gets away from that.. I'm more disappointed to not be able to see you moving that direction, I understand though, as a developer its hard to do assets, and make games, which is why I used to tell Nath, not to, its impossible to keep up, which is why I never sold my work in the asset store, but I do, sell my stuff to companies, investors and others, in real world... less support needed. haha. So I always respected you work.

So its more of that kind of disappointment, but like I said I don't use Unity as much since I had retired, i'm making my own game in Unreal as I had used for 20+ years and I like UE much better... Unity I still use to prototype now a days, and to teach my little ones, but as far as client work those days are over.. hehe, so RTP did serve me very well for years, for my client work, so thanks for all of that..

I hope one day to see RTP 4, or what ever, with Substance support, HDRP, URP, w/e Unity is doing there lol.. But I understand, if we don't, you have dreams like the rest of us and have bills to pay , so I completely understand.

PS, ya trying to support assets, and make games, and do other things, is nearly impossible things will SUFFER, I TELL this to Nath for years, NOT to do it all, because some thing will suffer and support is so darn important..... if you don't people will get pissed, a hand full will be fine with it, but the rest won't sadly.. I won't ever sell my work in the asset store,

4. Migueljb

Migueljb

Yes please. Been using RTP for 4 years now been wanting a terrain shader like rtp for hdrp. I feel like hdrp has the water and sky systems in place now from other devs - just needs that terrain system that only RTP can deliver to really make hdrp shine. Thanks for all the hard work patiently awaiting RTP the hdrp version:)

ftejada likes this.
  5. ftejada

ftejada

Hi @tomaszek !
    I am using WorldCompose in HDRP and I see in its manual that it has an integration, so that through RTP3, the textures of the created terrain look more defined and less pixelated in short distances.
    But from what I'm reading on this forum RTP3 doesn't support HDRP yet and it will probably take a long time for it to do so.

Any advice / help on how to tackle this problem and be able to have something similar to have this feature in HDRP?
    Could you prepare an extension for it?

Of course I have RTP3 and UBER.

Greetings

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

Due to some customer support I've done recently I identified problem with higher resolution displays set together with scaling (like 1440p or 4k monitor with %125 %150). It ends up heightmap windows might not show properly in inspector.

The dirt workaround might be set scaling to 100% in windows, or specifically in Unity (Preferences/UI Scaling) to 100%. Otherwise we need to modify RTP scripts so that it works back. For those that would it matter - you can manually find occurences of Screen.width in my code (2 files - ReliefTerrainEditor.cs and RTP_LayerSelector.cs) and replace with (int)EditorGUIUtility.currentViewWidth

Tom

7. ftejada

ftejada

@tomaszek Any answer for this? you forgot me :(?

Greetings

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

Haven't forget, but I have no advise for you unfortunately. RTP relies on surface shaders/built-in render pipeline.

Tom

ftejada likes this.
  9. Migueljb

Migueljb

Im using 2019.4.33 and on 2 4k monitors and cant see the terrain textures displaying properly. Is there a hotfix package for this for us using 4k monitors?

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

11. Spikebor

Spikebor

Hi, can you please upload a video to show how you would combine RTP3 with Terrain Composer in a workflow ? I have both products and gladly see TerrainComposer is noted as (strong integration) on the store page. I wanna know how they work together, thanks!

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

It was the case. I'm not sure about current state of TC3 developement. Integration was more meant TC3->RTP rather than the opposite. Simply when creating a terrain sector in TC3 it was able to detect RTP is installed and apply RTP scripts on it out of the box.

Spikebor likes this.
  13. Lelon

Lelon

@tomaszek Any idea why materials under RTP are just Pink? I created a fresh project, and I imported the latest version:

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Is it built-in render pipeline?

15. Yerkisk

Yerkisk

Hi, When using TC2 with RTPv3.3 I'm having some weird texturing issues which doesn't happen when using TC2 alone or RTP alone. Any hints as to what might cause this? See the image below. The textures are shown only at very close range making it impossible to setup a terrain correctly. Thanks!

16. tomaszek

tomaszek

At first glance looks like basemap shader doesn't show correctly. The difference between Unity usage of basemap shader and RTP's is that RTP uses it much closer and controls this distance itself. Compare RTP/Settings/Main "Near distance values" (it's at the bottom of your screenshot but values themselves are just below and not visible). It should show exactly the same distance in Terrain settings - base distance. Also - how many layers do you use? It should be either 4 or 8 and then RTP shaders recompiled in _RTP_LODManager.

17. Pecek

Pecek

Did anyone manage to get global normal to work in newer versions of Unity? I'm on 2020.3.36f1 LTS, standard/legacy-pipeline. LOD manager says it's handled automatically if the terrain is set to instanced, but the normals look exactly the same regardless. I tried to enable global normal feature, disable instancing and assign a normal map but it didn't work either.

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

Have been inspecting the issue a bit and it seems like global normalmapping and world/tangent translation at some point stopped working correctly. Can't tell yet what's wrong with a part of the code, but quick&dirty fix is to manually tweak 2 files RTP_Base.cginc and RTP_AddBase.cginc. Look for such sequence:

Code (csharp):
    1. global_norm = float3(dot(tangentBase, global_norm), dot(binormalBase, global_norm), dot(vertexNorm, global_norm));
    Should be 1625 in RTP_Base and 1577 in RTP_AddBase. comment it out and put such line instead:

Code (csharp):
    1. global_norm.xyz = global_norm.xzy;
    Not sure how it will impact snow coverage on slopes, but global normal seems to look OK.

Tom

Pecek likes this.
  19. dstew

dstew

Hi. We are trying to update a project from 2020 LTS to 2021 LTS. We get shader errors with Relief Pack.
    undeclared identifier 'UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD'
    any idea how to fix this?
    We have no shader experience.
    Is there a new name for 'UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD' in Unity 2021? Can we do a simple text replace?
    We are using the built-in render pipeline. These errors do not show up in 2020. only happening when upgrading to 2021. Also using d3d11.

Here is one of the errors:
    Shader error in 'Relief Pack - Standalone/Parallax Mapped Triplanar with Tessellation(Phong)': undeclared identifier 'UNITY_SAMPLE_TEX2D_LOD' at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_Base.cginc(1070) (on d3d11)

using RTP 3.3q

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  20. dstew

dstew

Hi. Turns out that this was NOT a problem. When I reopened the project and went into safe mode, other errors came up. Fixing those errors got the project working again. So it was a false set of errors for the shaders. Thanks anyway

21. supreem_creator

supreem_creator

Has anyone had success with changing a large project from RTP to another height based blending solution? I tried switching to Microsplat but the height blending is different and I'm not sure what is different between them.

I'm also open to just keeping RTP but ever since Unity moved to terrain layers it doesn't work quite right.

22. Lee7

Lee7

EDIT: Ok, figured it out. Its the snow strength. :)

Hi everyone. I have been using RTP for years and it is such an amazing product that I am now backtracking on a project I converted to HDRP back to Standard Pipeline as this particular project is very terrain based, it makes sense to have the best looking terrain possible, Mega and Microsplat just do not compare! The project was reverted to a pre-HDRP state so there are no HDRP artifacts which could be causing an issue.

Anyways, strange issue I am having. Terrain is having some weird lighting until I re-import the shaders in /ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain directory. I have to do this every time I make a change to the terrain such as changing heightmap. Probably a simple solution but I haven't figure it out yet. Has anyone else ran into similar?

Unity 2021.3.5f1. DX11 & DX12 same behaviour

Before shader re-import:
    upload_2024-3-7_14-49-58.png

After shader re-import:
    upload_2024-3-7_14-50-52.png

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024