Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

So - if your terrains need global colormaps we need to process them one by one. Open ReliefTerrainEditor.cs and find the button "Construct colormap from detail". Perform actions that are taken upon button press for all terrain instances. When we visit perlin normalmap it creates combined perlin normals. It's handled per terrain. Visit combined textures/combined normals tab. There is a texture slot that has reference to a property of ReliefTerrain script/class. You can change this texture reference to alreeady combined and saved one (you can save it yourself or take from my example scene assets). Then per terrain layers textures. You should keep all terrains under the same hierarchy transform otherwise they will get grouped one by one and won't share textures (imagine how much memory you would need then to store set of all layer textures per terrain!). If you refresh textures in inspector on a single terrain it will be reflected by all (if they are not separately grouped). Then in RTP/Settings - use RefreshAll button. It should help.

Tom

2. Mr_Dan_O

Mr_Dan_O

Thanks! I successfully have fixed the issue, Thank you for the help again.

FYI, I use "World Streamer" for streaming each terrain tile, it fully supports RTP Terrain. Hence I was not concerned about the RAM capacity. Amazing assets, BTW. if you work on the HDRP pipeline - as it is getting very popular - then this asset gets perfect and will remain the best for its market, IMO.

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, I'm doing ... something... ;)

Tom

Mr_Dan_O and hopeful like this.
  4. phobos2077

phobos2077

Is there a roadmap for adding HDRP compatibility?

5. TJHeuvel-net

TJHeuvel-net

Is there going to be support for instanced tesselation?

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

Together with HDRP which requires inroducing completely custom shaders (non-surface) anyway. No timeline for this yet though. Doing my best to manage stuff. Next "RTP" iteration will be based on completely new usability assumptions (more click&play approach), so it's not like doing some cosmetics on the top of RTP3. It makes no sense to go this way any longer. Still current RTP users can count on special treatment considering future products.

Tom

7. Velo222

Velo222

Hi tomaszek,

I am wanting to control the tiling of my terrain textures "per layer" or "per texture" if possible and perhaps even the "far/near tiling" as well. Is there some way to do this in RTP? I don't think there is currently, but is there some code or hack I could put into it to get per texture tiling to work?

If not, as well, is there a 3rd party asset on the asset store (that you know of) that could work with RTP to allow me to achieve this? I was looking at the asset "Distingo" on the asset store, but I'm not sure if it would work the RTP.

Overall my goal is to achieve tiling control for each texture on my terain.

Thanks for any help.

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

-> next RTP iteration will provide you with such solution. Currently it's not possible. Distingo is separate shader. It can't be combined with others (no matters what).

Tom

9. Migueljb

Migueljb

I've been using RTP for years now best thing to ever happen to unity terrain. When can we get a glimpse of RTP 4.0? Excited to see and use the next version.

10. Velo222

Velo222

Ok, thanks Tom. That's too bad for this version, but that is great to hear it might make it into the next version.

11. topofsteel

topofsteel

I'm getting the following errors on Unity 2018.2.20. How can I fix this? Thanks.

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/_Internal/ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder.cs(16,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `TerrainLayer' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/_Internal/ReliefTerrainPresetHolder.cs(16,12): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `TerrainLayer' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Seems like AssetStore gave you version that's meant only for 2018.3 and up. RTP3.3m is the last one that can handle Unity<2018.3. Currently there are only 2 package versions on UAS - one that can work on Unity2018.3 (RTP3.3o) and the other that is supposed to work from Unity5.5.0 up to 2018.2.

If Unity resists to download RTP3.3m (this other package submitted from Unity5.5.0) you can try to do it from lower Unity version and grab the package from package cache (to install it manually on higher Unity). Or Upgrade your project to U2018.3 which is advised - 3.3o version is up to date and consists of additional fixes + takes advantage of U2018.3 terrain improvements (i.e. instanced rendering mode).

Tom

13. ValeryDev

ValeryDev

Hi Tomek. I have a problem with tessalation. When enable Tessellation / phong i get this:
    tessalation.jpg

Terrain is gone.
    My unity version is 2018.4.0f1
    Please help

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

take a look at varinfo.txt file in my ReliefTerrain folder. It's version mark. Do you work on Windows?

Tom

15. Elowan

Elowan

Hello Tom,

so there is active development of a new (more artist-friendly?!) version of RTP?
    This is good news. Can you give some hints, what will await us?

Cheers!

16. ValeryDev

ValeryDev

thx for answear. i work on windows. verinfo: RTP3.3o for U2018.3
    will it be update for 2018.4 ?
    Regards
    Valery

17. tomaszek

tomaszek

Valery, my bad - it's not a bug, but lack of Unity support for surface shaders with tessellation AND instanting. Shaders can't compile this way. You need to turn off instanced draws in Unity terrain settings (you probably need recompile shaders after because they seem to not recompile automatically). Don't worry - tessellation itself encourages keeping terrain heightmap resolution low (using separate terrain object with hi-res terrain height data for precise collisions) - thus CPU load and drawcalls are quite OK.

That's the plan. I'm a bit distracted by something else, but I'd definitely would like to keep things simple and reusable in manner of drag&drop&enjoy. Still keeping as much visual power as possible. Honestly I wouldn't like to reveal too much too soon to not inspire UAS competitors (like best selling terrain shader by now implements more-or-less most of features introduced first in RTP back in 2013...).

Tom

jashan likes this.
  18. tcourbet

tcourbet

Hi!
    The last update regarding HDRP I could see is from April, and since I'm planning on moving my project to HDRP soon, I was wondering if there was any kind of timeframe to expect when it comes to scripable pipelines.

Sorry, I don't mean to be pushy :oops:

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you plan your HDRP project for next weeks or even 2-3 months you most probably won't get it.

Tom

20. tcourbet

tcourbet

Alright, thanks for the answer!