Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

This will be fixed with next update (should be released soon). It's related to texture sampling syntax and the fix will also bring back RTP compatibility with other hi-end platforms like PS4.

Road object is not allowed to have separate setup for baking. Simply uncheck static lightmap for it. RTP will automatically take underlying terrain uv2 (lightmap uvs) and will assign baked lightmap index to this object so it has exactly the same lightmapping like underlying terrain. That's why when you click on the road after baking RTP makes this setup assuming road is not lightmapped object. So - refreshing all geom blend objects after baking is actually needed but is not supposed to lead to artifacts when correctly maintained. After baking you ca explicitly refresh all RTP objects in scene (terrains/geom blend) using Refresh All button RTP/Settings/Main sub tab on any of terrains selected. Avoid including road to static batching. It's not recommended at all (no matter we lightmap it or not) because might lead to z-fighting for underlying.overlying object (remember that "static" flag means more than lightmap baking - when you look at dropdown static in object inspector you'll a ,ot of options like batching lightmapping navigation ocludee, etc.)

Due to complex shader include files setup (they are included nested) I had to introduce absolute paths. For RTP3 it needs to be there. For next big RTP release where no LOD manager will be needed it should be possible to keep everything relative.

I'm able to reproduce black terrain after lightmapping in U5.6 (in forward shading, in deferred it seems to work) using _progressive_ lightmapper. When I use Enlighten it works in both forward/deferred. Must be something with decoding lightmaps in forward and enlighten provides different output (must be very subtle difference). I need to take a closer look at the reason. At U5.5.2f1 after installing RTP3.3f (not sure if this version is available on AssetStore - it's down due to some maintenance at this moment) I was able to lightmap terrain (baked only, no GI) with no issues (U5.5 has only enlighten lightmapper). I will make further tests to detect possible issues and I will try it with your exact lightmapper setup on 5.5.2f1.

EDIT: Actually I found a bug in RTP when you bake scene using low resolution it might lead to situation when terrain and other objects share lightmap (like on your setup 1, 2 texel units selected). In such case terrain lightmap scale/offset is not (1,1,0,0) anymore while RTP set it for geom blend sticked objects to (1,1,0,0) always. If you don't use objects like roads it's not a problem. I'll fix it though (like @netincome2 might run into this with specific lightmapper setup).

Might be kind of material/shader refreshing issue (some parameters are not serialized in RTP but fed to material directly). Is it restored when you select terrain ?

I'm very much engaged with a game project so RTP4 got delayed. You shouldn't expect anything soon (like a few weeks).

RTP scripts store Texture2D references (not Texture which is base calss for both RenderTexture and Texture2D), but shader/material accept it. So basically you could feed terrain material yourself with RenderTexture. RTP will override it on each material refresh though (to RTP values stored in script).

Actually I tested RTP on U5.5.2 and it works. latest RTP update on AssetStore is submitted from U5.5.2, so it might be the reason you get some earlier RTP version when downloading and you can't get it wroking then.

This is only a warning. RTP3.3f has dark outline issue fixed. Upgrade to U5.5.2 (f1 or even better to p3) then install RTP3.3f and check. RTP3.3g should be also available soon (PS4/Vulkan fixes).

Tom

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    LacunaCorp likes this.
  2. tomaszek

tomaszek

In post above that you enabled static lightmapping from lighting window. It makes RTP geom blend script not executing lightmap check in inspector. That's why you might experience problems. But in case you try to bake lightmaps for terrain and then apply them to roads you can run into another problem - lightmap scale/offset not set correctly in case terrain lightmap is shared with other object (that is scale offset for terrain lightmap is different than 1,1, 0,0). In such case I can provide you with instant fix for GeometryVsTerrainBlend.cs script. Find such place (around line 140):

Code (csharp):
    2.                #if UNITY_5
    3.                    Terrain terrainComp=(Terrain)blendedObject.GetComponent(typeof(Terrain));
    4.                    if (terrainComp) {
    5.                        underlying_renderer.lightmapIndex=terrainComp.lightmapIndex;
    6.                        if (LightmapSettings.lightmapsMode==LightmapsMode.CombinedDirectional) {
    7.                            underlying_renderer.lightmapScaleOffset=new Vector4(0.5f,0.5f,0,0);
    8.                        } else {
    9.                            underlying_renderer.lightmapScaleOffset=new Vector4(1,1,0,0);
    10.                       }
    11.                    } else {
    12.                        underlying_renderer.lightmapIndex=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex;
    13.                        underlying_renderer.lightmapScaleOffset=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset;
    14.                    }
    15.                    if (Sticked) {
    16.                        if (terrainComp) {
    17.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex=terrainComp.lightmapIndex;
    18.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset=new Vector4(1,1,0,0);
    19.                        } else {
    20.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex;
    21.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset;
    22.                       }
    23.                   }
    24.                #else
    and replace with this:

Code (csharp):
    2.                #if UNITY_5
    3.                    Terrain terrainComp=(Terrain)blendedObject.GetComponent(typeof(Terrain));
    4.                    if (terrainComp) {
    5.                        underlying_renderer.lightmapIndex=terrainComp.lightmapIndex;
    6.                        underlying_renderer.lightmapScaleOffset = terrainComp.lightmapScaleOffset;
    7.                     } else {
    8.                        underlying_renderer.lightmapIndex=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex;
    9.                        underlying_renderer.lightmapScaleOffset=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset;
    10.                    }
    11.                    if (Sticked) {
    12.                        if (terrainComp) {
    13.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex = terrainComp.lightmapIndex;
    14.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset = terrainComp.lightmapScaleOffset;
    15.                        } else {
    16.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapIndex;
    17.                            GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset=blendedObject.GetComponent<Renderer>().lightmapScaleOffset;
    18.                       }
    19.                   }
    20.                #else
    I will include this fix in RTP3.3g next update.

Tom

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

I found the reason for black terrain after lightmapping. It actually can happen randomly, funny enough on my side it happened only in U5.6 in forward and lightmaps made with new progressive lightmapper (which has nothing to do with texture output, but somehow it turned GPU RAM space for uinitialized variable). So - I'm just about to submit 3.3g. Will be available to download from U5.5.0p3 (lower minor Unity version not tested but should work). The rule for using it is the same as for deferred lighting - as we don't have info for light direction at shader level we need to feed it with arbitrary value - place the script on directional light which was used for baking (look at example scene where this script is attached to main directional light).

Update should be available in next few days I hope.

EDIT - changelog for 3.3g:

- PS4 shader compilation fix
    - Vulkan shader compilation fix
    - OpenGL (glcore) checks
    - Geom blend objects correctly take underlying terrain lightmap scale offset for both baked and realtime GI
    - Fixed black terrain after lightmapping

Tom

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    LacunaCorp likes this.
  4. br20o0ly

br20o0ly

is there any solution for multi-object editing ? because i'm using 100 terrains
    or at least texture setup?

5. tomaszek

tomaszek

For detail textures it's globalized, but global maps for each terrain are setup separately. So - it's best to use some terrain management system like TerrainComposer for example which can setup all tiles automatically for RTP. Or you can feed all these terrains yourself with simple scripting - as each terrain has ReliefTerrain.cs class object you can assign references for global normalmap, global colormap for each tile easily.

Tom

6. UnityMS1

UnityMS1

Hey tom can you tell me how to use the water effects of RTP plz

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Mark, your question is too general to answer. Have you followed my pdf doc and videos ? You need to enable wetness in LOD manager and recompile shaders then you can setup water in RTP inspaector, adjust settings per layer and controll global wetness by optional texture mask (for example you wouldn't like to have water under bridges, inside caves, buildings, etc.)

Tom

8. gecko

gecko

Okay, now I'm using 5.5.2 with RTP 3.3g (on Mac 10.11.5), and that got rid of the dark outlines, but not the black splats at distance. Poking around, I tried rebuilding the colormap based on splats...and now my terrain is light brown, like it's using the colormap only. If I paint a splat, I can see a very faint change on the terrain, but somehow the splats are overridden (mostly) by the colormap (maybe)? Any ideas?

Attached Files:

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi Dave,

Might it be that you have checked option to use only global colormap at distance (option in LOD manager) ? Can you reproduce the issue on my example scene (with similar set of features in LOD manager) ?

Tom

10. FredrikS

FredrikS

Hey Tom,

Bought and love your relief map terrain as it makes my terrain look marvelous. Today I found Granite for Unity https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51026 and I'd love to marry to the two. Do you know if the two assets will work nicely together or do I have to pick one over the other?

Thanks,
    Fred

Flurgle likes this.
  11. tomaszek

tomaszek

Granite is kind of megatexture solution. RTP combines textures to get HD look. I could imagine Granite might be useful for big open world scenarios with a lot terrain tiles to manage global maps (global colormap, for example).

12. FredrikS

FredrikS

Yep, that's what I figured. Thanks and kudos on RTP. It's a wonderful asset.

13. gecko

gecko

it was not, but I noticed that a few other options (like Dynamic snow and Holes) were selected again (why do those revert? I keep deselecting them, but later they are selected again). Now after recompiling shaders, the terrain is colored properly...but some splats are still black at a distance. I tried swapping in a different splat texture in case the texture was causing the problem, but that didn't help. Brightness on that splat is correct (and adjusting that doesn't affect the blackness at all.) Any suggestions?

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Dave,it must be something specific to your setup I believe. Please catch me skype.

Tom

15. Pecek

Pecek

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what, but as soon as I attach the script to a mesh the normals are flipped(works well on terrain), even on the bultin objects. Has anyone else run into this problem? I'm using U5.5 and RTP3.3g

16. tomaszek

tomaszek

ReliefTerrain.cs applied on mesh calculates tangent basis for normals from world axes. Is your mesh rotated ? It's advisable to use mesh w/o any transform (apart from position) applied.

17. silentneedle

silentneedle

When changing the shadow distance from 150 to 3000 the terrain starts to flicker, is there any way to avoid this?

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

Terrain or shadows on terrain ? For shadows you can only try to adjust light shadow biases. Is it Unity 5.5 ? Shadows get improved there a lot using reversed float depth buffer.

silentneedle likes this.
  19. silentneedle

silentneedle

Shadows on terrain. We're currently at 5.4, I think I'll give 5.5 a try, thank you.

20. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hi, i'm in the process of designing a non-square terrain system for planets. Is it possible to control rtp with non power of 2 textures?

Due to a querk of the system, the textures it uses will have an odd number of pixels, it would be possible to have a blend between it and a power of 2 texture though it would be much more efficiant to use these odd numbers on the generation side.

Most of the time i could probably use vertex blending, though i'm unsure if i can use vertex blending and the wetness/colorblending of rtp with vertex blending.

21. FredrikS

FredrikS

Hey again, Tom.

Error question for you. I am working on OS X with RTP and after enabling 8 layers in first pass, I get this error:

-------- GLSL link error: WARNING: Output of vertex shader 'vs_TEXCOORD6' not read by fragment shader
    ERROR: Implementation limit of 16 active fragment shader samplers (e.g., maximum number of supported image units) exceeded, fragment shader uses 17 samplers

I have included screenshots of the entire LOD manager here.

Thanks!
    F

22. iddqd

iddqd

Hi @tomaszek

I'm modifying the Control/Splat Texture at Runtime to add decals on the Terrain like this:

Code (CSharp):
    2. controlTexture.SetPixels(......);
    3. controlTexture.Apply();
    4. rtpMaterial.SetTexture("_Control1", controlTexture);
    Would this the correct way of doing it, or is there a better way that doesn't require the expensive Apply() ?

Many thanks

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Apply is expensive, becuse you need to upload texture to GPU VRAM. Option might be using render texture as controlmap, this implies you make all modifications to coverage on GPU as well.

NPOT textures can be used, the question is what kind of control you need over RTP ? Only limitation is to keep texture sizes coherent for combined ones (detail normalmaps, heightmaps, diffuse in case of using atlas). In a few moments RTP calculates mip levels to be taken for texture fetch, not sure if this will behave correct in all cases as you would use non squared textures (like 128x512 or 793x357 and so on).

It's limit of textures used in shader excceded. For DX11 systems (SM5.0) it does not apply because I reuse samplers, for OSX - I'm not sure, but I believe it's doable if we explicitly require glcore functionalities of higher level. Do you use RTP 3.3g ? I redefined texture fetching macros (it now also works on consoles) to reuse samplers. You might try to reduce features in LOD manager (disabling lightmaps completely). In Unity5.6 we can ask surface shaders to skip ambient lighting from 3d texture which blocks 1 texture/sampler unnecesarilly (add nolppv keyword to #pragma surface surf line in RTP shaders that resist compilation).

Tom

iddqd likes this.
  24. grahag11

grahag11

Hello,
    I think it was mention as a possibility sometime in some past comments... I was wondering... if any of the recent UBER or RTP updates have added support for Nature Shaders and the possibility of use on SpeedTrees? Like for snow, etc.

Or if any chance in the future yet?

Many thanks for a great product set.

25. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, today i found that the global tree shadow map feature which is exactly what I was looking for. however, after turning on and recompiling I cannot seem to get it work correctly. I can assign a map which nicely puts a shadow in the area of trees, however not to far in the distance the rest of the terrain is just white?

If change the tree distance to something further say 5000, the white disappears but so does my tree shadows?

Just what if there is an issue or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

26. tomaszek

tomaszek

Future updatesof RTP/UBER I plan to globalize/standarize things to use weather effects more easy across whole scene.

It depends on lightining path. In forward it's pretty straiwghtforward. In deferred we need to ensure script on main directional light is attached (to solve light direction) and script on camera (to copy encoded attenuation). You can compare with my example scene where it's setup. For deferred we need to use dedicated lighting deferred shader included. For deferred we need HDR on camera.

For the feature itself. Have you set RGB channels of shadow texture to black (exact 0,0,0) ? Black pixels are excluded, Alpha channel of the texture take values 0-255 where 255 means - no shadow.

Tom

27. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Specifically, i wonder how to control wetness in this way, since wetness is contained within the blue channel of the combined bump map. My system will have to support different detail levels as the terrain detail increases gradually. (most often from 65x65 to 129x129)
    The terrain system follows a quadtree format, so its important that each section can split into four sections. The extra pixels are for a cut through the middle.

Anyway, i'm getting ahead of myself. Basically i want to know how well i might be able to control RTP from a vertex shader instead of feeding in textures and splatmaps(still investigating if this would be better or not). Especially snow wetness and color.

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Giving wetmask a place in blue channel of combined perlin normals is kind of legacy solution. RTP goes since Unity3 :) I had no other option to pack all features within available resources. As Newest RTP takes advantage of split samplers you can add any mask yourself and sample it in shader. As far as I see you're enough skilled programmer (otherwise you wouldn't even bother with your custom system), so customization would be like this:

1. Add texture property to RTP first pass shader
    2. Declare new texture in shader code (RTP_Base.cginc, optionally RTP_AddPass.cginc if needed)
    3. In above cginc files find where wetmask is sampled (should be easy with Ctrl+F for so called "globalnormalmap" which is also kind of "legacy" name in shader code)
    4. replace texture fetch for wetmask with your texture
    5. feed texture to each terrain tile material with your scripting

Voila.

Tom

29. Harold_83

Harold_83

Having this issue and I can't figure it out. Having this issue during play. Looks fine in the editor DarkPlain.JPG DarkPlain.JPG

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

If this is deferred check script that need to be attached to main directional light (comapre with my example scene and refer to my pdf doc).

Tom

31. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Okay, I'm not very experienced with shader coding specifically, but i can follow those instructions.
    Is it possible to control wetness and layers in the standalone triplanar shaders based on vertex blending? Without using control textures? If not i do have an idea to deal with that in my system. It would just be useful.

32. Harold_83

Harold_83

I already have the script on the directional light. I checked the example scenes to verify and I noticed the same issue. I have the latest version of Unity

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes it is, but currently vertex color channels are used for already for coverage, might be possible to pass primary, secondary uv.zw components though.

So, please give me exact Unity version you're using and exact RTP version (verinfo.txt from ReliefPack folder). Can you tell me platform (PC DX11 or openGL) ? Can you tell me the problem exists in my example scene on RTP installed in fresh project ? I'd like to determine if the problem is related to some specific scene/RTP setup.

Tom

34. Harold_83

Harold_83

Version #RTP3.2i
    PCDX11 is the platform. I attached an image of the example scene. The problem does not exist in a clean project.

Attached Files:

35. tomaszek

tomaszek

Ouch 3.2i is pretty old version. Can you upgrade (esp. in case using up to date new Unity version ?)

Tom

36. Harold_83

Harold_83

I have to run that by my project lead. My programmer noticed that if you changed it to legacy deferred under the camera settings fixes the problem.

37. Harold_83

Harold_83

We think something change in the editor becuase in the new project folder we switched to deferred and things turn black. If we upgrade, will it work in deferred?

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP definitely works in deferred (for 8 layers used need to use atlased "8 layers in first pass" mode compiled in LOD manager though). I fixed a lot of issues since RTP3.2i. 3.3 fits to Unity PBR (using Unitys PBR model). One step more in deferred we need to use custom deferred lighting shader in Unity Graphics settings (shipped with RTP), but I'm skeptical using 3.2i esp. on newer Unity versions.

Tom

39. Harold_83

Harold_83

Okay I've updated and i'm getting this error.
    Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/Common/RTPFogUpdate.cs(21,17): error CS1061: Type `RTP_LODmanager' does not contain a definition for `RTP_COLORSPACE_LINEAR' and no extension method `RTP_COLORSPACE_LINEAR' of type `RTP_LODmanager' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

40. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's that some stuff of 3.2 remained. On fresh install everything should work and 3.3 introduced a lot of changes.

Tom

41. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I'm testing out Unit 5.6.0f3 with RTP 3.3g on a Mac Pro, and was hoping that the new/experimental metal shader support might allow me to get tessellation to work. RTP appears to work in Metal (testing with the Terrain Scene), but checking the Tessellation / phong checkbox in LOD manager and then recompiling shaders and the terrain disappears. Any ideas how I can get tessellation working on Mac? From everything I've seen, OpenGL 4.1 doesn't support it (even though the AMD FirePro D700 GPU's in my machine are capable of it).

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm only able to test tessellation on my PC with force opengl core profile set and it works. If it works (I believe it does) terrain disappearing is because of missing height&normal texture. Look at my tessellation video tutorial on my YT channel. Prepare texture firt from your existing terrain then apply it in RTP/global maps/ subtab.

Tom

43. adndima

adndima

I can not understand what is happening, I use the unity 5.5

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  44. tomaszek

tomaszek

Compare with my example scene - there is a script attached to main directional light. It's described workflow in my pdf doc.

Tom

45. joe_ftg

joe_ftg

Is line 304 of ResamplingService.cs missing the "/ contrib.wsum" ?
    It looks like it should be
    Code (CSharp):
    1. output[c][k, i] = (ushort)Math.Min(Math.Max(intensity / contrib[i].wsum, UInt16.MinValue), UInt16.MaxValue);

similar to line 210

46. adndima

adndima

Thank you very much for your help, now everything works well.

47. googlebac

googlebac

Hi @tomaszek, are there any compatibility issues with 5.6.0f3 that you know of? My terrain is white after upgrading to that.

48. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Hi Tom,

I've encountered a strange problem when working with terrain's textures. All seemed to work fine, but two days ago or after switching to 3.3g something started changing my terrain's textures resolution. Even after uploading new textures it keeps randomly changing resolution from 2048 to 1024. I get that kind of warnings:

Detail texture 7 (Ground_Forest_Path_2k_alb_s) has been reimported with 1024 size.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    ReliefTerrainEditor:repareAtlases(Int32) (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:5152)
    ReliefTerrainEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:272)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Detail tex 0 size=2048 while detail tex 2 size=1024
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    ReliefTerrainEditor:repareAtlases(Int32) (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:5183)
    ReliefTerrainEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:272)
    UnityEditor.ContainerWindow:InternalCloseWindow()

When I open all maps in Photoshop it shows correct resolution of 2048. I have been working before with Unity 5.5.0f3, 5.5.1f1 and both 3.3f and 3.3g RTP verions and nothing like this had happend.

I don't know if I'd changed something somewhere in Unity, but any operation on terrain's prefab takes lots of time.
    I've cleared the cache and redownloaded RTP, but that didn't help.

EDIT: deleting and reapplying of RTP component to project made it possible to work on textures and figuring what was wrong. It doesn't freezes anymore. I have to doublecheck my textures now cause I could have messed up something there.

Success! I've found that accidentally I'd linked textures from Gaia that had resolution od 1024 pixels instead of 2048. It took me several hours to figure out what the hell was causing this, but in the end I've managed to find the solution. Yuppi! :)

Mike

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  49. AlteredPlanet

AlteredPlanet

hi, upgraded RTP and unity to 5.6 heightmaps are not showing up are terrain is flat , any idea why this is?

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP 3.3g should work on U5.6.

Can you check on fresh RTP install in U5.6 (RTP3.3g is supposed to work with U5.6) - example scene ? Heightmaps - you mean detail heightmaps or terrain shape as whole (using tessellation) ?

Tom

unityunity