Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. wdmct

wdmct

dear tomaszek

my terrain painting got a strange juncture , the position depends on camera distance....

would you help me plz !!
    thanks a lot !!

========
    Unity 5.5.0
    Relief Terrain Pack v3.3e

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

This might be related to deferred lighting in case you're in 4+4 mode. Use 8 layers mode in one pass in such case (this is specularity problem of additional pass).

Tom

3. kilju

kilju

looking really nice.
    what other assets do u use?

4. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @tomaszek, I've upgraded my project to Unity 5.5p4 and RTP 3.3e (from 3.3c) but I'm facing errors when recompiling the shaders for the given feature set.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FarOnly': function "Unity_GlossyEnvironment" is already defined at /UnityStandardBRDF.cginc(523) at /UnityDeprecated.cginc(133) (on d3d9)
    2. Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FarOnly': function "Unity_GlossyEnvironment" is already defined at /UnityStandardBRDF.cginc(288) at /UnityImageBasedLighting.cginc(520) (on d3d9)
    3. Shader error in 'Relief Pack/Terrain2Geometry': function "Unity_GlossyEnvironment" is already defined at /UnityStandardBRDF.cginc(523) at /UnityDeprecated.cginc(133) (on d3d9)
    4. Shader error in 'Relief Pack/Terrain2Geometry': function "Unity_GlossyEnvironment" is already defined at /UnityStandardBRDF.cginc(288) at /UnityImageBasedLighting.cginc(520) (on d3d9)
    I did check the latest pdf but couldn't find anything regarding those errors, I however found some remarks you made within this forum statting you had fixed those for Unity 5.4 so I was wondering if you already support Unity 5.5?
    PS: I did a complete remove of RTP 3.3c before reimporting the RTP 3.3e (so I'm guessing only the newest code is available within my project).
    Is there something I can do to get ride of those errors?

5. wdmct

wdmct

dear tomaszek

I switch to 8 layer mode , the juncture is solved , many thanks !!

But the additional problem is specularity around far distance , how to fix it ? Orz

thanks again !!

====================================
    tomaszek said:
    This might be related to deferred lighting in case you're in 4+4 mode. Use 8 layers mode in one pass in such case (this is specularity problem of additional pass).

Tom
    =====================================
    wdmct said:
    dear tomaszek

my terrain painting got a strange juncture , the position depends on camera distance....

would you help me plz !!
    thanks a lot !!

========
    Unity 5.5.0
    Relief Terrain Pack v3.3e
    arrondarron

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

Look at verinfo.txt file in ReliefPack folder and tell me the contents. Unity sometimes gives wrong package version (for U5.4). In such case remove RTP3.3c (already done), remove all RTP package cached on HD and reimport RTP.

In 4+4 mode additional 4 layers are rendered in forward lighting path which has custom PBR mode. In 8 layers mode everything is rendered using Unity GGX PBR model. You can use RTP own one (Unity Graphics Settings - select RTP deferred lighting shader Internal-DeferredShading_RTP.shader that's inlcuded in ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain.
    The problem is that Unity uses one globalised lighting model for all deferred stuff. If you change it there - specularity can be diminished, but every other opaque/deferred object in your scene will follow it as well.

Tom

7. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Hi @tomaszek, I cleared the all cached versions, deleted the copy in the project and redownloaded and imported from the asset store. The errors are indeed solved and the verinfo.txt file is showing 'RTP3.3e (submitted U5.4.0f3)". However when I open the my scene (same with the provided TerrainScene) the is displayed completely white. Tried to rebuild the shaders but everything stays white. Do I miss something? Unity 5.5.0p4 pro with RTP3.3e.

8. HYJ_go

HYJ_go

@tomaszek
    HI!
    RTP looks cool.
    Will RTP be used on the PS4 platform?
    Thank you

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

Still must be something wrong - RTP3.3e for U5.5 must be marked U5.5 in verinfo file. Could you try to download it from f3 ? Maybe it's kind of Unity bug that it gives you U5.4 version.

Technically - sure, but I found Unity misses texture fetch defines for PS4 in HLSLSupport.cginc. I added them for DX11 but for PS4 they need probably a bit different syntax. I guess it's easily solvable but I don't have devkit nor PS4 license to check.

Tom

10. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Everything is fine now, I having Unity 5.4 and 5.5 installed and for some reason the wrong version was always downloaded. Removed Unity 5.4 and downloaded RTP again, now the verinfo.txt file is mentioning "RTP3.3e for U5.5 (submitted from Unity5.5.0b6)" and is displayed correctly again. Creepy stuff the asset store :confused:

11. Akuranith

Akuranith

Hi Tom,

I'm new to RTP and working to figure out how everything works still. In regards to the tessellation feature of the LOD manager, I'm having an issue where my terrain's height has been heavily adjusted, dropped in this case.

Before_Tess.PNG Post_Tess.PNG

I've been following tutorials including the tesselation video that walks you through the process, so I don't believe I'm missing any basic steps. I think the issue is arising from the tessellation height and normal map that is generated from the RTP texture tool, I'm just not sure in what way. I created the initial terrain in the first image through Gaia terrain creation as an example, and then used the RTP tool to create a height/normal map texture from that terrain.

I've run out of current ideas to troubleshoot it on my own though so I figured I would ask for help. Thanks for any possible advice!

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

In U5.5 it's most probably sRGB. Set height&normals texture linear in texture import settigns.

Tom

13. Skymx99

Skymx99

Hi Tom,

I have been using RTP for a bit now and absolutely love the results I can achieve with it. I am interested in your opinion on a problem I am facing.

To my knowledge, there isn't anything I can do within RTP to solve this, but maybe you have a solution of any kind.

I am needing to paint textures that follow a path around my terrain. The game I am working on is a motocross game, and I need to be able to have tire tracks that follow the path of the track. Similar to the photo below.

Obviously this isn't from Unity, and I am using a decal system, but can something similar be achieved using RTP and Unity? Is there any way to have my texture brush follow a direction (like in photoshop) so the tire tacks follow the direction of my brush? Is there a decal system you might recommend? Or anything within RTP to achieve this? I hope this makes sense, I have been searching all over, but have yet to find an answer. I am open to any ideas.

Thanks,

Alex

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Answer is decals - you need to look around for existing Decal systems. For RTP - also doable but you need to manage mesh with right uv (along path) yourself. For static tyre marks itcan be done with RTP using geom blend sticked to ground surface.

Tom

15. Akuranith

Akuranith

That solved the issue I was having, thank you for the prompt response!

16. DarkXess

DarkXess

Does this support Terrain-Mesh Blending? I had meant to ask before :)

17. Elowan

Elowan

Hello tomaszek,

I am totally new to RTP Shader and a project for a client requieres some canyon / strata like texturing.

Now, from what I´ve read a Vertical texture could be use for a task like this - but without a normal map, I believe?

Then, there is also triplanar-shading, right?

Is it possible, to have tri-planar texturing per layer?

(Like only 1 or two of the 4 detail texture layers should be tri-planar, the other two not???)

And finally, I saw there is an option for masking in "Composite" menu.

Are these mask used in addition to the splatmap or instead of it?

Are the masks stored in some alpha channels or as seperate textures?

Kind regards!

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

Vertical texturig - influence diffuse color no normalmap.
    Triplanar is available. All layers or nothing.
    Compositinng is in-editor tool. You simply construct splat textures out of masks (no matter which channel of mask texture is used might RGBA)

Tom

DarkXess likes this.
  19. Elowan

Elowan

ok, so no normals with vertical-tx.

Tri-planar is "all channels only"? hmmmm, maybe you should think about making it "per channel/layer", because you would just need 1-2 detail textures mapped this way 90% of the time (for cliffs or rock for example), the rest (grass or sand) is just on flat surface, no need for tri-planar, here ;)

what I need, is a way to get this "strata look" for steep Monument like mountains. so such functions would be really helpful...

And regarding to the black and White masks:

again, do I need to clear the Slot in "global maps - splatmap" OR do I have a splatmap assigned anyways?

(I already have some b&W RGB Images, that mask certain Areas)

cheers

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  20. Elowan

Elowan

oh.. and there is one more thing:

the Alpha of the Detail - TX stores the roughness-value, from what I´ve read... now - brighter means more shiny and black/darker more dull?

21. Lohrion

Lohrion

Hey Tom,

I currently have a strange problem with RTP. The terrains I use it on are competely white (see attached screenshot). When I switch from the custom terrain material to the standard one, I at least get some textures.

I'm using Unity 5.4.4f, with the latest RTP from the asset store. In the LODManager on first pass, I have everything disabled except for UV Blend, Global color blend multiplicative, Sharpen heightblend edges, Heightblend fake AO and Superdetail.

Do you have an idea what causes this, and how I can fix it? If you need more information, just let me know :)

Thank you,
    Best regards,
    Patrick

Attached Files:

• RTP.PNG
      RTP.PNG
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
  22. mk1978

mk1978

Do you have any idea what is causing this, see picture below?

I am using Unity 5.5.0f3. I have 8 textures in the terrain and I am also using Deferred lighning because I want to use SE Screen Based Shadow Asset. I tried to use the option to have 8 layers in the first pass but it just turned the whole terrain black.

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Correct.

Shader works for sampling 4 or 8 textures. If you use the same texture for diffuse you might gain tiny bit of performance (GPU will have cached color for subsequent texture fetches).

I can see only dark border around grass. Have you tried with script that must be attached to main directional light in deferred ?

Tom

24. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks for replying so quickly!

I assume that you mean this script which seems to be automatically added to light. Or is there some other script that also needs to be added?

25. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Hi Tom,

I'm running into an issue where the terrain has random shadow spots all over it. I added the light script to my directional light. I'm using Unistorm with RTP. I'm not sure if that matters or not.

RTPShadowSpots.PNG

26. tomaszek

tomaszek

check fullshadowpass in LOD manager (next to tessellation otions) and recompile. I guess this is the issue.

Can you tell me the layer index of first and second grass where dark border occurs ? Do you have detail heightmaps attached ? It might be related to fake AO feature. You can dimish it per layer or turn off in LOD manager.
    Otherwise contact me via private message.

Tom

27. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

This resolved the issue. Thanks Tom!

28. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Hi Tom,

I ran into another issue with my sand texture. If you notice the squiggly lines match up very nicely at first. But when I move in closer it starts to turn jagged. Also, I want to keep the UV tiling consistent. For some reason, when I move a few steps the UV tiling changes very drastically and is jarring for playing the game. Is there a way to fix these two issues?

Thanks

29. Lohrion

Lohrion

Hey Tom,

any news regarding my issue?

Best regards,
    Patrick

30. mk1978

mk1978

Thanks for helping with this Tom! I know that it always gets difficult when hobbyist use professional tools and there start to be some challenges.

Layer Index for these 2 textures are Layer3 and Layer 6. I tested to change the textures/layers and I was able to move the dark border to other location. Maybe the problem is related to these different passes.

I don't have any hightmaps attached to the layers but I also tried to apply different highmaps (different shades of white and grey textures) but I didn' get rid of the problem. Actually when I tested totally black heightmap I got rid of the border but there were some other artifacts.

I tried diffent AO features but that didnät solve the issue.

Maybe it is better that I would send you PM because I believe that the problem is just my ignorance of using RTP.

EDIT: Tom was able to solve the problem with a bug fix that was sent by PM. Great support.

Miikka

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  31. tomaszek

tomaszek

Your issue is related to tessellation and displacement put over detail textures as far as I can see. Turn off detail displacement (if you don't necessarily need it) or tessellate terrain more in close distance and tune distances the way it doesn't show detail displacemnet where tessellation range is close. I mean - far away we've got less tessellated terrain, closeup - we've got finer tessellated terrain and displacing details in this range shows "jittering/wavying" artifacts.

Can you tell me if the issue is there when you install RTP on fresh project (U5.4.4) and check example scene ? Looks like my package version is out of sync (RTP version vs. Unity version). Tell me the contents of verinfo.txt file placed in ReliefPack folder after you instell it (it happens that AssetStore gives package version that's supposed to work with different Unity version).

It might be bug that I remember I solved already in RTP (crosspass heightblending issue) but 3.3f is not yet submitted on AssetStore (I wait to collect as much small glitches from users then submit fix for everything). If you give me your email order number and purchase date I can send you fixed RTP_AddBase.cginc file sooner. (only tell me if you deal with U5.4 or U5.5)

Tom

32. MikeyUchiha

MikeyUchiha

Tom,

Your support is amazing! This resolved the issue. Thanks so much!

33. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

Hi! Is it possible to make skid marks for the car on this relief terrain asset?
    I plan to make a 4x4 driving car game,. so is it possible to make some relief wheels skid marks or something like this? :confused:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  34. tomaszek

tomaszek

I guess so - using available decal systems. From vanilla RTP installation - you could work it over as well, but not like blending normals of skid marks (using and tweaking RTP's geom blend functionality).

Tom

35. Lohrion

Lohrion

Hey Tom,

Text from the verinfo.txt: RTP3.3e (submitted U5.4.0f3)

I also tried using 5.4.0f3, as that version is still installed on another machine. Yet, same problem if I open the same project there.

The demo scene seems to be working in a new project with only RTP imported, though... Any ideas what I could have messed up?

36. tomaszek

tomaszek

Give me your skype id, RTP order number and purchase date over private message here on forum. I guess it's something specific to your project (shader not recompiled, snow settings ?). Interactively I we will find it quickly.

Tom

37. l8njacobs

l8njacobs

After updating my RTP to 5.5, the terrain is visible and working in editor but turns completely white after you hit play. I've tried refreshing LOD, recompiling shaders, no lightmaps and no spec but can't seem to get it to stay visible. I'm using Unity Version 5.5.0p3

38. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Hi Tom,

Our team is using RTP for our new 64km^2 desert/canyon terrain, and naturally there are many steep slopes given the setting. We've been trying to get triplanar shading working for the past few days to no avail- there is still a lot of stretching. We'd really appreciate just a very brief explanation of how to get triplanar shading working- at this point I have to assume there's something very simple we're missing with the workflow. It's a simple 4-layer setup, no POM.

Thanks,
    -Josh

39. tomaszek

tomaszek

With 4 layers it should work out of the box as soon as you compile shaders in LOD manager with triplanar selected. If you by any chance you global normalmaps / tessellation take care your global normals match terrain (triplanar selects mapping plane basing on normals taken from texture and not from mesh when global normal mapping is active)

You need to upgrade to RTP3.3e for U5.5. remove shaders folder, clear unitypackages cache on your HD (just in case) and reimport RTP from assetstore from U5.5

Tom

40. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Thanks Tom,

As it turns out, it was the global normalmap causing the issues. For testing, our artist sent over a normalmap taken directly from the RAW heightmap, but we are seeing similar (if not, worse) stretching. Could you please clarify what you mean by "take care your global normals match terrain"? Oh, and we aren't using any tessellation, by the way.

Thanks again,
    -Josh

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

Take care global normal map acts correctly (you can check if lighting on cliffs are correct). There is multiplier slider that scales global normals. In your case it might be tat global normals are "too flat" so RTP selects top planar instead of side planar mapping for cliffs -> streching

Tom

42. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, i was just wondering why I might be getting these strange far artifacts?

rtp-issue.png

no matter what slider, numbers or settings i play with I cant get rid of them.

EDIT: Was shadows!

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  43. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

I have another question, can i setup RTP at runtime?

I currently use TC to load in textures and splat maps at runtime but i am wanting to now do the same but using RTP?

[RESOLVED THE BELOW]
    Also, im using a colormap as a "base" image, this is a satalite image and therefore is used for my "long distance viewing" and then I want to use the 4 detail textures for close up. This "nearly" works but it seems no matter what settings i use for the near/mid/far blending the detail texture always shows in some way at far range, it also changes the whole "tint" of the colormap?

Thanks

44. Lee7

Lee7

Just an FYI, Unity 5.6.0b4 broke RTP3.3e in DX11 (DX9 works fine).

45. HemiMG

HemiMG

I'm using Unity 5.4.2 and I'm having a serious issue with RTP. The two screenshots below are my scene and game views before adding RTP:

Screenshot (79).png Screenshot (81).png

And after I add ReliefTerrain to the terrain and compile the shaders, I get these:

Screenshot (82).png
    Screenshot (84).png
    Any idea what is going on? Thankfully I didn't save the scene, because everything was apparently permanently broken. I removed the RTP scripts and the terrain went back to normal but the tiling on the textures was way too high and they wouldn't adjust down.

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

Does this happen in deferred ? Have you remembered about script to be attached to main directional light (refer to my example scene) ?

Tom

47. supreem_creator

supreem_creator

Hey Tom,

We are loving the package but running into a weird issue. If we run in DX9 mode, the terrains come up pink. There error is:

Shader error in 'Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FirstPass': maximum temp register index exceeded at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_Base.cginc(2392) (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program with RTP_PM_SHADING
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA

We have tried playing with all sorts of settings on the Terrain and the LOD Manager and nothing seems to fix it. Help!

48. botumys

botumys

Little video where I'm using RTP + Uber to blend my road with the terrain. (around 2 min)

ftejada, red2blue, Lex4art and 5 others like this.
  49. HemiMG

HemiMG

It is in deferred, but I forgot to come back and tell you that it started working. I'm not sure why. All I did was finish making the terrain and my splat map and then try again because there was nothing else left to do with the terrain. I have no idea why things that aren't terrain were also getting textured, but it's all fixed now. Hopefully it doesn't come back for the next 3 terrains I have to do. After it was fixed I upgraded to Unity 5.4.4 from 5.4.2. I kinda suspect there were just some peculiarities in 5.4.2. That isn't the first weird thing that happened in that version.

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

Unfortunately HLSL compiler for dx9 is pretty limited. While back when Unity used Cg compiler for dx9 platform things worked. HLSL compiler overoptimizes performance vs. register usage and with certain options selected dx9 simply refuse to output code... :(. Asked Unity but they tell there's not much we can do. You can try with 4+4 layers mode (it mostly happens in 8 layers mode). In deferred you can't use 4+4 though. You might be need to turn off some features to get it working (things like 8 layers mode + POM + snow won't compile on dx9 for sure). Fortunately dx9 is almost inexistent platform for gaming nowadays (check latest Unity HW stats)

Tom